A New Cpvc Ls

A different Take On Singled LS'

9 replies to this topic

#1 ChaosRaisin

ChaosRaisin

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:15 PM

So, I had a singled LS laying around and I wanted to do something with it. I wanted to keep it singled but I had the idea to use the boltsled. I didn't want to deal with the bolt-nub breaking off though so I tried a different approach. I couldn't figure out how to resize the pictures but all the thumbnails are links to a larger picture.

Posted Image

What you'll need:

1/2" CPVC
One 1/2" CPVC tee
One 1/2" PVC coupler
Hot glue/gun
Dremel (recommended)
Pipe cutter (recommended)
Writing Utensil

Posted Image
Open up your gun and take out everything but what you see in the picture. You will also need the boltsled which isn't pictured because the gun was previously singled.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Cut the original barrel off, the one with the aforementioned "nub" and widen the whole a bit so the CPVC fits nicely. Cut a five inch piece and hot glue it in. Keep the o-ring from the original barrel and slide it on the CPVC.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Now take the 1/2" PVC coupler and cut that in half. Place it on like in the pictures. Mine doesn't need glue, yours might, I don't know. You need this in order to get the required draw to prime the gun. You can see what I mean if you try this without it.

Posted Image
I also threw on a BBB spring.

Posted Image
When you assemble the plunger tube, it should look like this.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Now take you CPVC tee and hold it underneath the boltsled. Trace the boltsled on the tee like so. I off-centered mine so there would be more CPVC supporting the back.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Now Dremel it out like so. In the last picture you can see that I left a few eighths of an inch before the retaining CPVC retaining wall. You want this.

Picture limit. Please don't post.

Edited by ChaosRaisin, 21 August 2010 - 07:48 PM.

Zorn- "Or, if you play the socal/"real" way, you have some pokeballs, some energy cards, and two dudes in caps who yell at each other."

#2 ChaosRaisin

ChaosRaisin

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

Posted Image

It fits. Sweet!

Posted Image
Now cut a tiny piece of CPVC, like 1/8" and throw that sucker on a piece of paper or cardboard, something you can peel it of of later.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Fill it up with hot glue and, when it's dry, peel it off of whatever you had it on. I used a little insert that came with a roll of e-tape.

Posted Image
Slap that baby on the Dremeled end of your CPVC tee and check the fit with the boltsled again.

Posted Image
Now cut you barrel. Mine's 7.5". Test fit everything in the shell.

Posted Image

Posted Image
I used a little piece of 1/2" PVC as a spacer and then glued my barrel to that.

Posted Image
Since I'm using a BBB spring, I beefed up the catch with a pen spring and some hotglue.

Posted Image
I also added pieces of 1/2" PVC to the stock to stop it from collapsing on me while priming.

Now close it up and admire your handy work. Pretty sweet, huh?

Posted Image
Breech open.

Posted Image
Close-up of tee.

This new breech is a different way to single your LS while still keeping it relatively clean and simple.

Thats it! I welcome feedback and questions.

Edited by ChaosRaisin, 21 August 2010 - 07:52 PM.

Zorn- "Or, if you play the socal/"real" way, you have some pokeballs, some energy cards, and two dudes in caps who yell at each other."

#3 cheerios

cheerios

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:15 PM

The tee is a good idea. But I don't think it should be named after yourself due to it being very similar to other longshot breeches people have made in the past.

Edited by cheerios, 21 August 2010 - 07:16 PM.

22:46- jakejagan :Ryan, did you hear that Zeke's BBBB made N9 bleed?
22:47- Zorn :BONUS

#4 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:28 PM

The idea of locking in the tee with the bolt is pretty neat, I like that. However, I'm not sure if this is really better than a traditional brass'd LS, due to there being no half pipe. That looks pretty jam-prone.

And yeah, similar breeches have been done, you should probably just title the thread "CPVC LS refinements" or something like that. Don't worry about it, though, we all make mistakes. I know of at least one person still active here who remembers the "Tantum Breach". ;)

#5 ChaosRaisin

ChaosRaisin

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:41 PM

However, I'm not sure if this is really better than a traditional brass'd LS, due to there being no half pipe.

I'm sure brass'd LS' are better, but this was supposed to be a cheaper, simpler alternative. It's still singled though, so I'm not exactly sure how it could jam.

#6 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but: You put the 1/2" pvc in the PT to make the thing able to prime far enough to catch...right? Doing so, you eliminated that much of the plunger stroke---meaning less output. Is this correct?
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife
Rknight-- wow......N9---your dad is in trouble now!

#7 hawkshot

hawkshot

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

Being a junior LS aficionado(Rogue=supreme), I believe you just took a perfectly working LS with a working bolt sled and singled it.

;)
Call me Hawk.

Hawkshot, one of the founding FL Nerfers.

#8 ChaosRaisin

ChaosRaisin

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:42 PM

Rogue- Yes, but there's not enough room for the CPVC coupler to extend forward while still being able to prime. I did shorten the stroke and lower the output in the process. The ranges remain good though. Plus, this was just an idea.

hawkshot- No, the LS was already singled. With many of the internals necessary for a full, working LS lost or broken.

#9 Eh Watt

Eh Watt

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:04 PM

Nice Job on this! Since atomatron hasn't jumped in yet, one thing I would recommend (if it fits in there) is putting some little piece of CPVC or something similar under the breech like he has here. He said it proved infinitely helpful.

I know of at least one person still active here who remembers the "Tantum Breach". ;)

That would be me! That thing taught me all about breeches. ;)
John Hancock

#10 ChaosRaisin

ChaosRaisin

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:32 PM

Nice Job on this! Since atomatron hasn't jumped in yet, one thing I would recommend (if it fits in there) is putting some little piece of CPVC or something similar under the breech like he has here. He said it proved infinitely helpful.

That is a really good idea but I don't think it would fit with the boltsled in. I'll try it in the morning, maybe with something underneath.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users