Deploy Flashlight Replacement

Its Nien Timez Mor Aewsom!!!!!1!!!

3 replies to this topic

#1 Nerf Bros

Nerf Bros

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:42 PM

Yes, I know it's been done. But not to the Deploy, and not this cleanly. It's pretty easy, and a fun way to kill time. Some might right it off as a lame cosmetic mod but it does have a functional role beyond milsim lameness. I'll admit we have a major advantage over the majority of the nerfing community, we have a little chain of stores called Ax Man Surplus in the Twin City's area, where we can get supplies for ridiculously fair prices. The light I used set me back $3.50, most places that'd get you a one LED keychain light, but mine has nine and came with batteries. But if you have Harbor Freight Stores nearby I've seen coupons for free 7 LED lights there, and I saw a 2/$7 deal at Menard's recently on 7 LED lights, so keep your eyes open. Enough talk, onto the mod.
Supplies: (should mostly be obvious)
LED Flashlight with diameter 1 1/8" or less
Soldering Supplies
Dremel/Hacksaw
Craft foam
Wire (if you can't salvage the original)
Pliers
Hotglue
Steps-
1. Open up your deploy and remove the front clip assembly
2. Remove the Screws holding down the Battery and light assembly, pull apart the original light:
3. Dissect your flashlight. I start by cutting it at the seam line, then 1/8th of an inch from the front to remove the lens. I used a pliers to remove the shiny silver piece, and then the Printed Circuit Board with the LEDs on it could be worked out the back.
Posted Image
What you need to retrieve:
Posted Image
4. Take that assembly and wrap it in craft foam. Then hotglue it into the original lens:
Posted Image
5. Now the fun part- wiring. I tried to salvage the original wiring but failed at striping it. If you payed attention it should be obvious, but here's a diagram for reference
Closeup of battery box and light:
Posted Image
Completed:
Posted Image
My little bro did the soldering, but now I understand it better and could do it next time.
Test it and put it back together. And your done! yah!
Before:
Posted Image
After:
Posted Image
But that really doesn't show the awesome difference it makes. If I ever needed it in combat I actually could use it now.
Posted Image
Super Clean
Posted Image
Super awesome
Another reason to wonder why hasbro doesn't do it like this stock.
We have no sig.

#2 pjotrkuh

pjotrkuh

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:52 PM

Dammit you beat me to it!! nice job!! I used etape instead of craft foam to center the led's...
When the shit hits the fan, you'd better wear a rain coat.....

#3 SonReeceSonJensen

SonReeceSonJensen

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:19 PM

Dude(s)…nice. VERY nice. I always applaud cleanliness, especially when it actually adds significant improvement (I know, it’s a flashlight and not adding ‘real’ war functionality, still rules!)

I think I have a few of those flashlights, they were on sale for $2 at True Value. Mine usually use 3 AAA batteries, what did yours use?
The Difference:
-Guns shoot bullets that kill people
-Blasters shoot darts that tag people

I do not play with guns.

#4 Nerf Bros

Nerf Bros

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:16 PM

I think I have a few of those flashlights, they were on sale for $2 at True Value. Mine usually use 3 AAA batteries, what did yours use?

Forgot to mention that- it uses three AAAs like the stock light, so it was a direct solder in. A nine volt may be able to fit, but I didn't want to find a 4.5v resistor.
We have no sig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users