Quadshots: The Ice Way

Same as a tripleshot

32 replies to this topic

#1 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

I've seen a few quadshot mods here on the forums, but none quite like mine. I received ALOT of questions about it at Apoc a few weeks ago, and it was showed around to many nerfers. I was asked to make a write up for it, so that's what I'm doing :P

Lets start with the turret, since this is the fun part. Pop the turret out of the shell, it slides right out. On the back of the turret, there are 4 screws. Remove them, and your turret slides into three parts. This is the only one you need.

Posted Image

Cut the 4 screw ports that are sticking up at the top down, so that they are flush with the rest of the peice. Now, simply choose a barrel. I use CPVC, which fits very nicely into the 3 prongs in each space of the turret. Hot glue or Goop into place, and let sit until dry.

Posted Image

Now, lets straighten those barrels a bit. You can always print out the barrel spacer that Ryan made too keep your barrels inline. However, I dislike working with poly carb, so I used the end of a longshot dart chamber, which fit sunggly in between the barrels when lightly sanded. Pretty much any tube or even a Gatorade bottle cap can be used to center your barrels, as long as it fits straight. Then, hotglue into place. I then wrapped it in etape to make it look a bit more presentable, and for a slight stability increase. My barrels are now perfectly straight.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now that your turret is steady and the barrels are straight, lets make it rear-load. For this, I unscrewed the white turret rotating piece in the back of the turret, and simply used a cone-sanding bit on my dremel to widen the wholes in the back of the turret till I hit the walls of the cpvc. Make sure to do this step VERY SLOWLY if you widen them with a dremel, for if they become to wide, they won't seal correctly. Go nice and slow, until they lie flush with the backs of your barrels.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by ice, 17 August 2010 - 11:19 AM.

<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#2 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

Logically, in since we increased the size of the turret holes, we need to increase the size of the o-ring that seals them. This is actually much simpler then it may sound. I have done this two ways, here is the first one

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yep, that is literally just a rubber washer that was slipped over the original rubber seal. Works fantastically. I cut down the bottom of it so it would rub against the turret rotating mech. How ever, this part can be hard to find, so here is another way to do it.

This way was shown by Blue, and works the same as mine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The larger white piece in the first picture came off the plunger, for it is unneeded. Speaking of which, lets move on to the plunger, now that our plunger-turret seal is in place.

The plunger comes with two rubber skirts. Remove the first, and use it for the above step if you don't have a rubber washer. Then, take your wire cutters and snip off the support for the top skirt. Your going to want some sort of padding, to reduce the stress on the internals from the springs where going to add, so I cut up a foam arrow from a big bad bow, but any kind of foam padding should work fine. Hotglue that to the top of the plunger, above the white plunger skirt.

The plunger to plunger tube seal also has to be increased. This is possibly the simplest mod of this blaster. Wrap the plunger skirt in 5 to 6 layers of E-tape, and then lubricate. That should seal perfectly with your plunger tube. It should look something like this when your done the plunger.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This next part was the only thing that really gave me a problem with this blaster. The catch. Here it is stock (borrowed picture)

Posted Image

FUCK THAT SPRING.
Rip it right out. I've seen people do the whole bending thing with it. Well fuck that. Here's the right way to do it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Take the most powerful spring you can find that fits and slap it in there. Secure it with some hotglue or desired adhesive. Thats MUCH stronger then you could ever get the stock spring to be.
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker

#3 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:54 PM

Now for the actual catch piece. On the back side, remove the tension spring. Then push the tab down, and lock it in pace with some epoxy putty. I originally just used hotglue, but that wasn't strong enough. We also need to re-enforce the cath to make sure it lasts, thus the need for epoxy putty. Fill it like so:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also shaved down the lower left corner of the catch, to allow it to push futher down onto the plunger. Here's what it looks like installed.

Posted Image

Notice how it pushed further down then the stock version of the catch. This helps to stop the catch from sliping on the high powered springs.

Now, the only thing left to do is drill some holes in your shell for the rear loading. This is easy, and can be done with a dremel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Throw some new springs in there. reassemble and enjoy! I am currently painting my shell, so I'll have pics of the finished product for you tomorrow. Depending on your springs, you should get very far ranges. I have a stock, an LS sping (the black version) and a PAS spring in mine. It can handle it :P It's hitting just shy of 100' with slugs. I hope you found this helpful :)
Muker

#4 LotusNerf

LotusNerf

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:13 PM

So you found your catch? And I'm definitely gonna use this to help make mine more awesome than yours!

#5 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:14 PM

I hate replying with negative comments to modification write-ups, but I really must protest to this. You've made several of the quadshot features worse. It had a stock skirt seal, which you replaced with E-tape, it had a rubber plunger head pad, which you replaced with a foam disc... I've also had no problems with the turret seal, and as far as I've seen you've only made it more touchy.

The only "right way" things you've done here is the catch reinforcement and barrel replacement. Changing to a more replaceable spring style was also neat, but not needed, because of the design of the catch.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#6 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:19 PM

I hate replying with negative comments to modification write-ups, but I really must protest to this. You've made several of the quadshot features worse. It had a stock skirt seal, which you replaced with E-tape, it had a rubber plunger head pad, which you replaced with a foam disc... I've also had no problems with the turret seal, and as far as I've seen you've only made it more touchy.

The only "right way" things you've done here is the catch reinforcement and barrel replacement. Changing to a more replaceable spring style was also neat, but not needed, because of the design of the catch.

The stock skirt is still there, but when blown down the barrel, air goes past the sides. E-tape is used to keep it airtight. I needed to make the turret seal wider to accommodate for wider holes at the end of the turret. Thats what makes it seal....

The new spring was needed for the catch, it wasn't functioning with the old one.
Muker

#7 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:25 PM

The stock skirt is still there, but when blown down the barrel, air goes past the sides. E-tape is used to keep it airtight. I needed to make the turret seal wider to accommodate for wider holes at the end of the turret. Thats what makes it seal....

The new spring was needed for the catch, it wasn't functioning with the old one.

The reason air goes past the sides, is because the skirt only flares under pressure/friction (which is present when you fire the blaster). Also, the wider turret seal is not needed if you aren't sloppy when making the rearloading holes to the turret. I used both stock plunger/turret seals on my quaddie, and I could stop the plunger by placing my finger over the end of the active barrel.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#8 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:28 PM

The reason air goes past the sides, is because the skirt only flares under pressure/friction (which is present when you fire the blaster). Also, the wider turret seal is not needed if you aren't sloppy when making the rearloading holes to the turret. I used both stock plunger/turret seals on my quaddie, and I could stop the plunger by placing my finger over the end of the active barrel.

However, the rotation mech sometimes falters with the heavier barrels, so when it doesn't rotate quite the full way, the new piece seals it. And it wasn't done "sloppy", look at the pics. I don't see why you like to hate on me so much, just look at the results.
Muker

#9 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:30 PM

Obviously your understanding of a skirt seal is terrible. Enjoy Nerfing in 2008.

Plus, I'm pretty sure this was the definitive Triple Shot mod, considering he did everything you did but better, and also many things you didn't do, which he also did better. At best yours is the pussy younger brother to the Triple Shot, done "the right way."

However, the rotation mech sometimes falters with the heavier barrels, so when it doesn't rotate quite the full way, the new piece seals it. And it wasn't done "sloppy", look at the pics. I don't see why you like to hate on me so much, just look at the results.

Yeah, of course the mech falters sometimes. That's why a definitive mod would glue the slip mech. So, whoops.

Also yes it's mad sloppy and you should feel bad. HIGH FIVE WES.

Do you honestly have to be a dick about everything?

Did you not see that our logo is a giant penis? Was the subtlety lost on you?

Edited by Ice Nine, 16 August 2010 - 10:45 PM.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#10 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:34 PM

Muker

#11 HappyBurnination

HappyBurnination

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:52 PM

How long are your barrels?
"Insert barely clever dual nerf/sexual comment here."
WHITE WHALE, HOLY GRAIL
Split your lungs with blood and thunder.

#12 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:17 PM

How long are your barrels?

9 or so inches. Adjust the barrel length in accordance to how tight your darts fit. Mine are really tight in cpvc, so I made them shorter then normal.
Muker

#13 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:19 PM

SUPER EFFEMINATE, MAN! ⊂3

#14 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:30 PM

Edited by AJZ, 13 July 2014 - 06:22 PM.

#15 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:40 PM

Rip it right out. I've seen people do the whole bending thing with it. Well fuck that. Here's the right way to do it.

With quotes like that, it's no wonder people are taking shots at you.

Anyone who has any sort of experience modding blasters should know there is no "right" way to modify any blaster. There are too many variables involved, even when talking about the same blaster. Calling a mod "The Right Way" reeks of arrogance and self-worship, and I do think you set yourself up to get figuratively kicked in the crotch.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#16 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:01 AM

I assume you went for the "invincible" build with this mod, given how you wanted to make the catch as secure as possible.

However, there's no point in making a catch that can handle INTENSE SPRINGS if you have a lot of inefficiencies elsewhere.

Split's demonstraction with the +bow shows that skirt based seals are hands down the best sealing face. Much experience has also proven that electric-tape seals while doing reasonably well in the short term, degrade extremely quickly and unless replaced regularly, will leave residue in your plunger tube that permanently lowers performance.
Since the quadshot's stock skirt has a tendency to bend in, the best methods to give nearly 100% seal is either to forcibly expand the skirt with inner material (not foam, and not by wrapping vinyl tape around it to constrict it) or to replace the front end with a rubber washer to create a new cup (as Louiec3 has done).

Furthermore, since you are going to upgrade the plunger-to-turret seal, you might as well expand airflow in that area. The airflow mod on At2k tanks demonstrates how detrimental air constriction can be, and basic thermodynamics teaches us that repeated changes in cross-sectional area along the flow path introduces a lot of energy loss to heat due to gas expansion and also induced turbulence.

Finally, even your proposed "best" method for the catch spring upgrade has some large faults.
1) While you may have put in a much beefier catch spring, it is secured in place almost solely by hot glue. A much better method would be mechanical fastening with hot glue to add vibration dampening and space-filling to prevent excess movement. Hot glue by itself is not going to be durable enough to hold over time as it adheres solely through friction, and repeated stress and changes in environment will cause the hold to weaken.
2) Allowing the catch to sit down further doesn't actually add anything, as you could've achieved the same effect by increases load on the spring. If you look at the mechanism in action, the arm never actually touches the post when the catch is locking into the racheting mechanism on the plunger rod. What you have achieved however, is weaking of the catch at the precise opposite location of where you are applying large amounts of torque. Due to the unique rotational nature of the catch, both pieces are under a lot of torque, and thus the side where you weakened the catch is under a lot of compressive strain from both the catch and the primed plunger rod. Unfortunately, the wad of epoxy putty placed in the arm doesn't actually do anything. A much better method would be strips of aluminum glued to the sides.
3) The place under the most stress is actually the fulcrum of the lever system, which you have done nothing about. Basic mechanics shows that pivot points are always under the most force as they much support whatever "missing weight" that is distributed through the lever arms. I myself have ecountered this problem, seeing quite a lot of strain marks at the connection where the pin meets the shell. My quick workaround was to cover it in epoxy resin. However, any long-term and forward-looking solution would see to reinforce the shell at that point and either to replace the thin stock female ends with spacers or standors or to find a suitable sized threaded rod to drive between the two halves of the shell.

The supplied list of inefficiencies and weaknesses in the quadshot was not exhaustive. Any "right" or "definitive" method of modification would seek to address not only those areas, but many more.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#17 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:02 AM

Koree modded a Quadshot, and it certainly wasn't the right way, but it atleast had a better seal, and barrel spacers instead of etape on everything.

Granted, I like masturbating too, but really Ice, just because you have some imaginary bone to pick with everything Nerf related doesn't mean you get to do this all over the forums. Am I allowed to show my cock in public?

And yeah, like Zeke said, you gotta glue the rotation mech in place, and make it manually rotating. Otherwise it will never advance correctly. But really, from what I've seen, the "Right way" to mod a Quadshot would be to make the plunger tube bigger, and hopper it. Hoppers are effective, and require less work for every shot than turrets, and given that its already a pump action, it'd be perfect.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#18 hockeyfights118

hockeyfights118

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:36 AM

While I really wouldn't say that this is the "right way" to do it, I think you have some pretty nice info on the turret that anyone could use.
I love nerf.

QUOTE(Poseidon @ Oct 2 2009, 05:28 PM)

Stalk... do you mean "stock" or are we talking about corn now?

#19 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:18 AM

And yeah, like Zeke said, you gotta glue the rotation mech in place, and make it manually rotating. Otherwise it will never advance correctly. But really, from what I've seen, the "Right way" to mod a Quadshot would be to make the plunger tube bigger, and hopper it. Hoppers are effective, and require less work for every shot than turrets, and given that its already a pump action, it'd be perfect.

I didn't want the rotation mech glued cause I like being able to turn it by hand while loading. I have an extreme hatred for hoppers, and refuse to use them. If I could rename a topic, I would make it, "the ice way".
Muker

#20 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:36 AM

I have an extreme hatred for hoppers, and refuse to use them. If I could rename a topic, I would make it, "the ice way".

I guess I was more accurate in that "have fun Nerfing in 2008" comment than I knew.

Also, you can rename the topic, as you obviously have.

Edited by Ice Nine, 17 August 2010 - 11:36 AM.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#21 burning-ice

burning-ice

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:01 PM

Well, this is at the perfect time, :) I'm about to the point were I throw it out the window.
Also, is the plusbow catch spring strong enough? I've tried to pm you about this, I get no reply.
I lurk alot.
If I double post blame my internet, I apologize.

#22 CivilWarMan

CivilWarMan

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:16 PM

Hey Ice Nine you did the penis emoticon wrong. Ice I did the mod and it worked just fine thank you for posting this.
O o
/¯/_______________________________ _ __/
| I'MMA FIRIN MAH LAZAR BLAAAAAAAARGG!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯ ¯¯ \

#23 Vengeancedemon

Vengeancedemon

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:32 PM

Nice write up, where was this the other day when i was modding my own!?!?!
"The point of war is not to die for your country but to make the other B*****d die for his." General Patent.

#24 Vengeancedemon

Vengeancedemon

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:45 PM

So im remodding mine and for the big spring you put in for the catch, can you use goop to put it in place?
"The point of war is not to die for your country but to make the other B*****d die for his." General Patent.

#25 TxNerfer

TxNerfer

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:03 PM

I'm lovin these necros. By the way, vengefuldemon, don't use this writeup at all. Refer to zorn's writeup.

1. Thank you, I take donations in horse/wolf porn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users