Photo

Thread "locked" Wothout Explaination.

16 replies to this topic

#1 cire36

cire36

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:56 PM

My "Recalled Recon, will it be a collectors item" thread was locked without explaination. Why was it locked?

#2 Broderick

Broderick

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:58 PM

EDIT: This is just turning into a shit storm, I guess one post saying it was a pointless topic wasn't enough.
Leave my post out of this, please.

Edited by Broderick, 13 August 2010 - 07:12 PM.

#3 LotusNerf

LotusNerf

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:52 PM

And to add to that, "recalled" means there was a problem with the blaster. So it eliminates you from being able to sell it to kids who don't modify.

Well that's not the main idea, the point is that the recall doesn't add to much difference to the Recon, because it doesn't really matter that much. So it'll be treated as a normal Recon.

#4 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:53 PM

Cire, you are a complete idiot. If it gets closed, it's closed for a reason, mainly because the poster is an idiot or it got out of hand.

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#5 cire36

cire36

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:13 PM

I really dont understand why certain individuals find it necessary to insult others on this forum.

I asked the question because I know of other items (non Nerf) that were recalled or made incorrectly that instantly became collectors items just because they were wrong. Examples, certain US coins, certain Hot Wheels.

Speaking of Hot Wheels, I know this because I owned one that was designed a certain way, the designer didnt like it and changed it. He thought none of them got produced but they did, I bought it for $1.00 and it was worth $200.00 when I sold it.

Anything can become a collectors item.

I was just asking a question. I did not expect to get insulted or be disrespected. I find it interesting that this forum seems to be the only one that has this trend.

#6 cire36

cire36

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:14 PM

Accidental double post.

Edited by cire36, 13 August 2010 - 07:24 PM.

#7 cire36

cire36

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:20 PM

Forgive the double post. When I sent it the first time, my computer said the page could not be displayed so I didnt think the post went through.

#8 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:08 PM

I really dont understand why certain individuals find it necessary to insult others on this forum.

I asked the question because I know of other items (non Nerf) that were recalled or made incorrectly that instantly became collectors items just because they were wrong. Examples, certain US coins, certain Hot Wheels.

Speaking of Hot Wheels, I know this because I owned one that was designed a certain way, the designer didnt like it and changed it. He thought none of them got produced but they did, I bought it for $1.00 and it was worth $200.00 when I sold it.

I was just asking a question. I did not expect to get insulted or be disrespected. I find it interesting that this forum seems to be the only one that has this trend.

Nice triple fail. Also, what I bolded is a pretty good explanation that goes against your post earlier, because the recalled stuff that's worth more now is NON NERF. Nerf guns are widely available, why would someone want a recalled one that could harm you (only if your an idiot) when you could just get a newer version that won't harm you?

Edited by death by cheez, 13 August 2010 - 08:09 PM.

#9 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:34 PM

FUCK YOU, DICKFACE.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#10 cire36

cire36

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

Nice triple fail. Also, what I bolded is a pretty good explanation that goes against your post earlier, because the recalled stuff that's worth more now is NON NERF. Nerf guns are widely available, why would someone want a recalled one that could harm you (only if your an idiot) when you could just get a newer version that won't harm you?

Ya know Death by Cheeze, when you actually become a mature adult (since you are only 16) you might actually have some common sense. Since; from what I can tell, most of the members of this forum are adults (or almost adults), I would thnk they would have enough sense not to hurt themselves on a toy meant for children.

I was not talking about someone trying to sell the recalled guns to kids. How many "kids" collect somthing because they are (or might be valuable)? Adults collect "toys" because they hold "value" with other adults. I own over $10,000.00 in Hot Wheels (toys meant for children). Do you think children 3 years and up would pay $10,000.00 for a Hot Wheels collection? No. They like them becaause they are "cool".

The reason I am considering modding my "recalled" recon is because I want to make it into a Gears of War Snub pistol. The "thing" on the back where the charged indicator is just happens to be damn near perfect for the sizing of the Snub Pistol. The new Recons are too big.

I dont "play" with my Nerf Guns. I think they are "cool" and I like "modding" them. I treat them more like plastic models than a toy that I can actually play with. They remain fully functional because that; to me, is part of the challenge of making them look cooler and keeping them functional. Looks as well as functionallity is important to me. Now that I have unecessarly explained myself and the reasons behind my original post:

In closing, I am a 46 year old engineer with a bachelors degree in electronic engineering. I have a child your age. Before you go popping off on others, why dont you grow up, graduate highschool, and move your punk bitch ass out of your parents house have have a life. Gain some wisdom and knowledge and then you night know waht you are talking about the next time you decide to crtisize someone. If my comments to you are not received well, too bad. You better learn to take it if you're gonna dish it.

For the moderators, if you feel that this is getting too "whatever", feel free to close this thread and cancel my menbership. I have "reservations" about being a member of a community that contains so many rude members anyway

#11 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:52 PM

To give validity to cire36's curiosity, a lot of people seem to think that my "1st generation" recon is better, or more desirable in some way than the new one. Some kid even tried to steal it because he thought it was so rare and cool. Giving him a shit fit, even though you have no real knowledge on the subject is idiotic.

I believe the reason the old thread was locked was because of anticipation of posts like that of "Death by cheez".

Edited by Wes7143, 13 August 2010 - 08:55 PM.

QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#12 LotusNerf

LotusNerf

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:00 PM

What you said.

What he said.

What you said.

When you spend enough time on this forum, you will realize that NerfHaven is the place where this kind of thing takes place. It doesn't matter what you say, you cannot change the system. Many people here are assholes.

But I am not agreeing to that kind of behavior. I do not like the way this forum treats other members, especially new members. But I have learned to cope with it for as long as I stay here. So if you want to stay, you will have to accept the system.

#13 cire36

cire36

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:00 PM

To give validity to cire36's curiosity, a lot of people seem to think that my "1st generation" recon is better, or more desirable in some way than the new one. Some kid even tried to steal it because he thought it was so rare and cool. Giving him a shit fit, even though you have no real knowledge on the subject is idiotic.

I believe the reason the old thread was locked was because of anticipation of posts like that of "Death by cheez".

Thank You.

#14 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:08 AM

Just pointing out that (to my knowledge) the first gen. recon's plunger tube back won't break off from a stronger spring and AR removal.

#15 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:47 AM

That's fairly weird that your 46 and have a $10,000 collection of hot wheels, and know it's exact value, but to each his own.... And dude, how many people do you think ACTUALLY returned the recons? in most walmarts the recalled item papers are in the back by the lay away desk, with the random walmarts having them on the front doors. There's still thousands out there, so mod away for your snub pistol, it's not like you'll never find another one. And the first gen is stronger for a reason: The plastic was made a bit thicker, and since there was that unnaturally large armed bar, it spread the force of the plunger going forward to more material, allowing less pressure to hit the back and weaken the plastic as quickly as the current generations.

Also, DUH! How the hell a kid would know the value of recalled recons is beyond the realms of a 16 year old honors student, because most kids see a Nerf gun like the recon, say OOOH! The tacticoolness of it all! They see the $20 price tag, buy it, then think nothing of it. I doubt that even most adults would recognize its worth, since recons are a crappy gun as far as modding potential. The only factor I see that would help you on this one would be the plunger tube if you resell it, since looking at the one from my 2nd gen, it's got the added mass at the back, meaning it'll break slower unless you drop it.

Edited by death by cheez, 14 August 2010 - 08:56 AM.

#16 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:22 AM

As one 40-year old to another, while you may know engineering, and you definitely know Hot Wheels, you need to know a lot more about internet psychology and anthropology. (You also need a spell checker, but that's an obvious statement.)

Each site, each subculture, each group is different. This forum happens to be bare-knuckle, capricious, egotistical, elitist, and pretty much run by fiat. I don't have the attribution, but some post from waaaay back had one of the admins stating quite plainly that the name, NerfHaven was because it was intended to be a haven from kids, from the adolescent mentality that somewhat naturally fell out of Nerf at the time the site was founded.

This site is free, and ad-free. They run it out of their own pocket, and they run it their way. It's not an egalitarian way. It's not a nurturing way. It may not even be a particularly fair way - different mods, different moods, different modes. And, you know what? They don't care.

There are other sites out there that try to be friendly to newcomers, warm and fuzzy and all that. This isn't one of them. It's not a democracy, and it's not even a 'benevolent dictatorship,' to steal a descriptor from a rather well-known software figure. It's autocracy by cabal, despotism by inner circle, tyranny by founders.

They know it, and they like it that way. We know it, and we abide by it. Yes, there is that Sword of Damocles feel here. Yes, threads get locked, usually with a snide comment by the admins, sometimes with a simple "you're banned for interval x," with x ranging from days to centuries. Yes, centuries. You can double-check me: how many years is 99999 days? You actually lucked out in that you got neither.

Each site, each subculture, each group is different. Learn it, live it, or leave it. They don't care. Really.
Fugly is a feature.

#17 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:57 PM

Oh my oh my I'm glad this didn't get locked before I could post.

DeathBychese you are totally off base. This dude has a VERY valid point and it is a valid question. Don't just dismiss it because you look at these as plastic crap. Remember idiots will pay 300+ for a NIB crossbow. That right there shows that what he says holds true. And it holds true across All forms of collectible media and materials. Who would have thought that a stupid 5 cent comic book ment for kids and to be thrown away after reading it would turn out to sell at auction for $1.5 million dollars? (extreme example) Don't dismiss the potential value of things so easily.

cire36 to your question. It is possible that the 1st gen recons could at some point hold value. But only to those that value them. outside of the Nerf community nerf guns are looked at mostly as silly plastic disposable toys. Inside they hold value because we know they can be modified and some are considered collectible despite the fact that there are current blasters that can best their performance. IE Xbow, L&L. despite the fact that a LS can match the power of an Xbow and exceed it when singled didn't make people want the Xbow any less. And didn't keep them from paying 300+ for one. Altho you can get the same performance out of a NF people still want the L&L and will pay 50-60 bucks for an NIB one. Now in 10 years would someone pay 100-200 for an L&L that will only be seen. If Nerf guns become an icon of Americana of this era then 50 years from now perhaps this 1st gen recalled Recon will hold value that exceeds any of the for mentioned guns. However currently the place these items hold the most value is here in the NIC. For the most part the recon and all of its revisions and predecessors mark the decline of quality guns for the nerf franchise. So they are looked down upon for their internals and design by this community.

What I would suggest is this. You sound like a savvy person as goes the collectibles. And if you have the space to hold onto this blaster then do so. Not to sell to this community because again currently it is not a desirable blaster. But rather to have 20 years from now and possibly sell at an auction or something if it does generate some value. The recon can still be bought off the shelf in stores and if you want the snubby look it is easily done by simply hacking off the end cap of the new design. If you're an engineer I'm sure you can figure it out. That's really the only reasonable answer you will be able to find. After all if I or anyone here could tell the future I doubt we would be wasting our time playing with nerf guns in the first place.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users