Photo

Rappeling

18 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainCC

CaptainCC

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 12:57 PM

I'm going to create a rappel point out of the window in my second story room for use in Nerf wars and for surprise attacks. I created a test shoulder/crotch harness out of a rope and it works fine out of my tree, so im just going to us an extremely heavy mahogany desk in my room as my anchor. It will support my weight easily. I just need some tips. I want to get a failsafe rope that I'm sure won't snap because, you know, it would suck if I died and all. What should I look for at Home Depot and what prices am I looking at? Any other precautions you suggest? Also, my harness is rather crude-- I created adjustable leg and arm rings out of the rope and the wire to lower myself extends from the center of my back or front, depending on how I choose to rappel. Anything I should change there?

#2 Formerly Sane

Formerly Sane

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 04:00 PM

If you tie the rope to the desk, remember to tie it at the bottom or it will tip over, even if it weighs more than you. Is the harnass you're using made out of rope? Also do you have a figure 8 decender?

I have thought about using a tree as a hideout and to get better distance on shots. Luckily for me, I can run up it and then launch myself off and grab the lowest branch. I've been thinking about getting up ontop of my toolshed during a war too. Tell us how ambushes from above work out for you when you're done and stay safe.
NERF: www.CYCLONENERF.netfirms.com
FLASH: www.thinkhappy.netfirms.com
BAND: www.skwalrock.com

#3 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts
  • Fucks Given:0
  • State:California

Posted 10 April 2004 - 06:31 PM

Well, that's gotta be one of the more extreme things I've ever heard a person doing. If someone manages to get to your anchor point in the war, you're pretty much fucked - for lack of a better word. If you're actually going through with this, I'd suggest getting some sort of a generic harness, which would only cost about $45.

As for rope, I'd suggest some form of boat rope, which is made out of Nylon - its thick and pretty reliable. I've only been rappelling three times or so, and every time we've used some form of actual military-grade rappelling rope, and that can easily cost $150+.

Tee hee, I can just imagine you now:
http://www.blizzard....geIndex=6&Set=2

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#4 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 06:48 PM

I want to get a failsafe rope that I'm sure won't snap

You don't need a real harness if you make a decent one from really heavy rope, from what I gather. But from the little I know about climbing, useing anything for rope that isn't rated for a fall is really stupid. If I remember corectly, the kind of rope you want will be rated for a certain number of falls (provided they're falls of a certain distance) after which you really aught to get rid of the rope. Any other rope you would get at Home Depot or Boat US doesn't have the elasticity it takes to sustain the weight of a falling human. Keep in mind that you may weigh 125 pounds now, but when you're falling, the force with which you hit the ground/reach the end of your rope is several times that depending on the height from which you fall.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#5 CaptainCC

CaptainCC

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 07:03 PM

I checked out some Mountaneering harnesses at Sport Chalet today. the cheapest run at about $30. It's an expensive place, so I know I could probably score them even cheaper. The harness I made is far too crude-- not to mention painful. It is made entirely of rope. It didn't hurt that much since the drop from the tree is only like 8 feet, but the drop from my window is a bit higher. So I definitely need that harness. I looked up ropes and I'm looking at Polypropylene ropes, which are also used for boat towing. it's about $50 for 600 feet, so it's pretty cheap. It has extremely high tensile strength. I'll just slap on some work gloves to protect my hands during the descent. The figure eight descender seems to be a necessity since I would become horizontally inverted on the rope harness while rapelling from the tree. As for supporting the weight of a fall, there's a bush underneath the window, not to mention that the fall isn't that far, and I wouldn't be descending rapidly, it would be a fairly calculating process. And the desk in my room weighs probably more than twice than me. I don't think it would tip over. It's also against the wall. Well, it's hard to explain, but rest assured: It's a pretty failsafe anchor.

#6 CaptainCC

CaptainCC

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 10:27 PM

I have now commissioned my friends to spot me and photograph the event for posting on the internet. So if and when it happens, I can post pictures. I'll try and get a short digital movie too.

#7 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 10:33 PM

I use to rock climb, and a rope which is safe for using is probably gonna cost you $75-$150 (not sure exact prices)
Also I'm not sure I would trust a desk to support me and I definatley wouldn't leave my life in the hands of a desk. (pun intended)
Tyranny Response Team

#8 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 10:37 PM

Yeah, Me and Ol' Crank used to rock climb, and I doubt your desk is going to support your weight, and not break. Use a rock climbing rope, thats the least of my worries. Your skull and your desk are at risk though.

THIRST
ko

#9 Formerly Sane

Formerly Sane

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 09:47 AM

If you're really going to do this, run a rope from the bottom(remember) of your desk, out the window and have one person up in your room. Slowly put your weight on the rope and have the person upstairs tell you if you need to stop. Try this until two people can be at the bottom without the desk tipping over. This way if you fall and jerk the rope, you'll be sure the extra weight won't make you fall. and die.

I haven't tempted fate in a while now. I used to go up 100 feet in a tree and transfer to another one. :thinks about how to kill self:

#10 CaptainCC

CaptainCC

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 09:49 AM

WTF is rock climbing rope so expensive? I'm sure I could get away with boat towing rope.

#11 Formerly Sane

Formerly Sane

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 09:55 AM

WTF is rock climbing rope so expensive? I'm sure I could get away with boat towing rope.

So people are 100% sure their stuff won't crap out when their a few hundred feet up on the side of a mountain. Just try testing the stuff out for strength and stuff like I said and you should be fine. But if you're not, don't blame me.

#12 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 12 April 2004 - 10:08 AM

It occures to me that your plan may backfire in a disasterous way. You are anchoring youself to a desk, though heavy it is still a moveable object. Unless the desk itself is bolted into the floor or up against the wall right next to the window, it could be dragged across your room.
Are there any windows below the one you plan to rappel out of? I would imagine you don't want to go through any of them.
Finally, assuming you are still living with parents, do they know about this idea? In general I don't think parents want their kids jumping out of windows.

Basically I'm saying make sure you've really thought this out before you try it.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#13 Guest_nerferdude_*

Guest_nerferdude_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2004 - 12:55 PM

get a lot of nylon rope and twist it together. maybe, like, 10-15 bucks

#14 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 01:54 PM

Or screw the harness and just get a shoulder strap for your main gun.. Grab some thick rope (nylon or that fibreglas stuff they have) with a 250+ lb test on it.. Tie knots in it every 12-18" and run THAT out the window... Climb down as you would if you were in gym class way back when.
Rapelling seems excessive (not to mention having to get in and out of that diaper every time you wanna go down), and a simple knotted climbing rope is easy to scale and works both directions.

Unless of course your room is on the third storey overlooking solid concrete...
I like my women like I like my coffee...
Ground up and in the freezer.

#15 Nazgul Lord

Nazgul Lord

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 02:25 PM

Maybe you could make some sort of rope ladder or the knotted rope stefan mentioned. It would probably be easier and safer. ^_^
Nazgul Lord of the CFM

#16 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 02:53 PM

Unless of course your room is on the third storey overlooking solid concrete...

Put a bunch of pillows down your pants and jump. Atleast you won't bruise your ass. Your thinking to much into this. You really don't NEED to repel down 3 stories. Why not just make a ladder and put it under your window. Even then, someone could just look out the window while your repelling and shoot you. That would be sweet. ^_^

Edited by Hunter, 12 April 2004 - 02:53 PM.

Hunter
Organizer Vancouver Area Nerf Series

#17 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 02:55 PM

Hey! Idea al3rt, ! d 3 4 4 | 3 12 -|-!!!

How about, you stay on the ground, and make everyone happy.

THIRST

Edited by THIRST, 12 April 2004 - 02:55 PM.

ko

#18 sporkboyofjustice

sporkboyofjustice

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 03:48 PM

This thread is like a train wreck. I can't stop reading it because it's such a dangerous idea. I can see no good coming of this "project" aside from giving you a "it seemed like a good idea at the time" story to tell at the emergency room. Please give this one up.

Edited by sporkboyofjustice, 13 April 2004 - 11:24 AM.

#19 CaptainCC

CaptainCC

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 09:52 AM

-Rappeling = more fun than climbing

-The desk is up against the wall under the window.

-I've done it out of the tree which is only about 3-5 feet shorter than the window.

-It appears as if it may not come to fruition, or at least any time soon, because I can't find an affordable harness. And by affordable, I mean less than $30. I have no money, and when I get money, this idea is not priority.

Edited by CaptainCC, 13 April 2004 - 09:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users