Butyrate???

10 replies to this topic

#1 Whisper101

Whisper101

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:59 AM

Hey all,

We all know about the evolution of the +bow and L+L plunger head, from the dry rubber washer to Split's skirt seal and now Lt.'s grommet idea which seems to solve the priciness of the +bow plunger head, but how about trying to buy polycarbonate tube in bulk? It suckas almost as bad as the skirt seal in terms of price at around $3.48 per foot. I was poking around Mcmaster online looking for something to solve this dilemma when I came across part number 8565K41. It's Butyrate tubing and it's less expensive at $11.48 for six feet. You do the math.

Anyhow, I was just wondering if anybody with a little more experience with Butyrate tubing knows or can help to figure out if it would make a suuitable plunger tube. Any and all comments and quesions are welcome. I know very little about butyrate so whatever you know will help.

#2 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:12 AM

I've only ever used it as Barrel material, but if you can get it in a big enough size I don't see why it shouldn't work.

#3 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:02 PM

The butyrate that you're looking at is most likely Cellulose Acetate Butyrate which is less elastic (more brittle) in the order of 10^8 pascals and has less tensile strength than polycarbonate in the order of 10^7 pascals.

So it might break. It might not. Experiment and tell us.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#4 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:38 PM

Hey all,

We all know about the evolution of the +bow and L+L plunger head, from the dry rubber washer to Split's skirt seal and now Lt.'s grommet idea which seems to solve the priciness of the +bow plunger head, but how about trying to buy polycarbonate tube in bulk? It suckas almost as bad as the skirt seal in terms of price at around $3.48 per foot. I was poking around Mcmaster online looking for something to solve this dilemma when I came across part number 8565K41. It's Butyrate tubing and it's less expensive at $11.48 for six feet. You do the math.

Anyhow, I was just wondering if anybody with a little more experience with Butyrate tubing knows or can help to figure out if it would make a suuitable plunger tube. Any and all comments and quesions are welcome. I know very little about butyrate so whatever you know will help.

It does look like a good option, BUT. They only ship butyrate (regardless of diameter) in uncut six foot sections. This will increase your shipping costs somewhat, and may eliminate any added value you are looking for. I've looked at it before, but decided against it for exactly that reason. Dimensionally, though, it should work great.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#5 Whisper101

Whisper101

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

@ Brit: it comes in exactly the same dimensions as the polycarb tube that we use.

@Zorn: This is what I was afraid of. I'm fairly certain that it is Cellulose Acetate Butyrate, but i'll try it and report.

@Draconis: Yes, this is another problem, but only if you are only making one +bow. I like to order in bulk and also live fairly close to mcmaster so with the nylon rods, bars, etc. combined with the low shipping, that is not a factor for me. It could be very different for others though.

#6 polycarb

polycarb

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:07 AM

Straight from McMaster.com
Butrayte:
Rockwell R78
Tensile Strength
6,300 psi
Impact Strength
4.5 ft.-lbs./in.
Specifications Met
Not Rated
Polycarbonate:
Rockwell R
Tensile Strength
9,000 psi
Impact Strength
14 ft.-lbs./in.
Specifications Met
United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Underwriters Laboratories (UL)
FDA Specification
FDA Compliant
UL Specification
UL 94HB
Simplified, the polycarbonate is much stronger(upwards of 3x impact strength), 2700lbs tensile stronger, and much harder at Rockwell R118 than R78.

People have the PC plunger tubes break, and the butryate is even weaker, so I'd be doubtful about using it.

#7 polycarb

polycarb

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:08 AM

Internet being fickle. Sorry for double post.

Edited by polycarb, 20 July 2010 - 11:09 AM.

#8 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:53 PM

To be perfectly honest, with skirt and grommet seals, we can use just about any tube or pipe that fits in that space. One of my down-the-road projects is using a chromed brass pipe. It's purty.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#9 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:55 PM

Yea but nobody's tested to see how much stress the plunger tube actually takes. I'm sure Slug made the original design going for "let's make sure it doesn't break" factor, but after all these iterations someone has to go and find out if it is all actually necessary.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#10 Whisper101

Whisper101

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:17 PM

Touching on what Zorn said, how durable is the PC tube? It very well may be overkill. That's not a bad thing, but not may not be entirel necessary. I have never seen or heard of a PC plunger tube breaking. that's just me though and it seems to me that if it did, it must've been exposed to extreme conditions...

#11 polycarb

polycarb

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:53 AM

Personally, I wouldn't mind spending the extra money to buy a durable plunger tube.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users