Photo

Need Help Designing Nerf Guns

13 replies to this topic

#1 bennorco

bennorco

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:11 PM

I was wondering what the best program is for designing 3D, homemade, Nerf guns. If anyone has any ideas, please, post them.

Thanks-

Ben
Buy this stuff^

#2 pvt butters

pvt butters

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:05 PM

cad drawings
have you evere realized that big salvo abbrevation is BS

#3 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

Google sketch-up, It's free
http://sketchup.google.com/

Otherwise draw it out by hand, that would some real talent

Edited by k9turrent, 15 July 2010 - 03:07 PM.

QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#4 SorrowX

SorrowX

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

I use autodesk inventor 2010. its a great tool, as it allows you to design your parts in 3D, so you can see them in all their glory. Its also REALLY easy to learn and use. I taught myself in the lesser half of the week.

Edited by SorrowX, 15 July 2010 - 03:24 PM.

You may have the balls, but I have the lack of morality!

#5 bennorco

bennorco

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:52 PM

Alright, thanks everyone! I'll try out all these, and most likely use the easiest.
Buy this stuff^

#6 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:53 PM

What do you want to design, what are you going to build out of, and what are your building capabilities?
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#7 bennorco

bennorco

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:06 PM

What do you want to design, what are you going to build out of, and what are your building capabilities?

I got Google SketchUp and it works great. Thanks for the interest.
Buy this stuff^

#8 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:50 PM

I use autodesk inventor 2010. its a great tool, as it allows you to design your parts in 3D, so you can see them in all their glory. Its also REALLY easy to learn and use. I taught myself in the lesser half of the week.

What you don't state is that Inventor is insanely expensive. $5300? Not for nerf stuff. And I can pretty much guarantee that you didn't buy it, so why don't you stop admitting to and encouraging illegal activity on a site dedicated to toys, populated by kids?
http://store.autodes...s=1279305951173
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#9 nostyleguy

nostyleguy

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:13 PM

What you don't state is that Inventor is insanely expensive. $5300? Not for nerf stuff. And I can pretty much guarantee that you didn't buy it, so why don't you stop admitting to and encouraging illegal activity on a site dedicated to toys, populated by kids?

To be fair, a lot of universities have the ability to distribute licenses of commercial-grade software for either free, or very very cheap. I have legitimate copies of Inventor 2010, Autocad2010, Visual Studio 2008, and could have many other software licenses if I wanted. All thanks to being an Engineering major.

Edited by nostyleguy, 16 July 2010 - 03:13 PM.

#10 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:42 PM

To be fair, a lot of universities have the ability to distribute licenses of commercial-grade software for either free, or very very cheap. I have legitimate copies of Inventor 2010, Autocad2010, Visual Studio 2008, and could have many other software licenses if I wanted. All thanks to being an Engineering major.

Not really free considering you are paying what, $10k-15k per year to attend that university? And that's great for anyone who can actually get a legitimate license. But, not just anyone can just go out and download a copy. You either pay big money to Autodesk, or you pay big money to Autodesk care of your school.

#11 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:18 AM

We can always count on well-intentioned people to contribute to "topic creep," which, depending on the mod and mood, will lead to a verbal spanking or a locked thread. I would rather this not go the latter way.

So...

Taking this back on target, having played with SketchUp for a while, it's a timesink. I find the return on investment rather poor in terms of time spent. It's good for ooh-ah 3-D wireframes and shading like the 'big boys' produce, but, in the end, it's more trouble than it's worth.

I've gone back to back-of-napkin sketching and then graph paper 'technical' drawing for my designs. If you want a better way to design Nerf blasters, invest in a caliper and use it and your time to measure the heck out of your parts and pieces.

Edited by taerKitty, 18 July 2010 - 12:18 AM.

Fugly is a feature.

#12 bennorco

bennorco

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

Well, I got a free trial sent in the mail, so don't freak out.
Buy this stuff^

#13 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

Well, I got a free trial sent in the mail, so don't freak out.

OMG RAGE BECAUSE YOU PLAYED BY THE RULES!

#14 NightCabbage

NightCabbage

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:22 AM

I was wondering what the best program is for designing 3D, homemade, Nerf guns. If anyone has any ideas, please, post them.

Personally, I use a program called MoI (Moment of Inspiration).

http://moi3d.com/

It is, by far, the best modelling software I've used.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users