On the subject of UT2k4

10 replies to this topic

#1 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 07:41 PM

I haven't heard anyone say a word about Unreal Tournament 2004 anywhere on the internet. Not the Something Awful forums, not CtrlAltDel-online.com, not Penny-Arcade, not Here. Nowhere.
I played one round of the "Mutant" game type, and I creamed myself. The new Onslaught game type is everything I like about halo and BF1941. And don't even get me started on how great the return of the assault gametype is.
I know many of you have played 2k3 at some point in the last year that it's been out. It has it's share of problems and deficiencies. I myself spent the last year playing plain old UT with the Excessive mutator on in spite of having a perfectly good copy of 2k3 in my possesion. But it looks like the people at Effeminate really gave this one some thought. The gameplay feels like UT with the game speed cranked up. It's good, clean, fast-paced, and it's got the rediculously detailed graphics of 2k3. I won't bore you with the really nit-picky details, but the new loser rifle is like the perfect middle ground between the loser from UT (somewhat unfair because of it's wide-angle scope and high rate of fire) and 2k3's Lightning gun (too slow, and the scope restricts/distorts the view too much.) However, the Lightning gun remains on some maps. (There is a mutator that you can run to switchs all LGs to losers and another to do the opposite)

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#2 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 09:17 AM

I played the demo a few weeks ago...and the week after that...and after that...and so on. I creamed myself repeatedly. It's everything that UT2K3 wasn't. It feels more like the original UT, which was still better than 2K3 any day of the week. I tried that game that you need to get the ball in the basket (forgot the name), which was pretty fun, despite my thinking that it was going to be lame. But Onslaught is by far the best. But I thought I saw something on Penny Arcade?
Spectre of the CFM

#3 Warlock

Warlock

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 12:22 PM

My computer can't handle those games... ^_^ :)
~§~ Warlock ~§~ Of the Lawn Chair Mafia ~§~

"It's so hard to be a fighter when your hands are always tied"
~"Seņor Limpio" by Corrosion Of Conformity

Metal Gear?!

#4 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 02:30 PM

My computer can't handle those games... ^_^ :)

I could look this up, but what kind of specs do you need to play these games reasonably well? I suspect I don't have the hardware - my home computers are:

Athlon XP 1800+ with 1Gb RAM and GeForce 4 MX 128Mb (nForce 2 onboard video)

Athlon XP 2000+ with 1.5Gb RAM and ATI AIW Radeon
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#5 rusty

rusty

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:35 PM

cx:those specs seem more than adequate

Yeah onslaught mode..... or even better the robot rebellion assualt level (forget real name) plasma cannon......

2k4 is also so much more agreeable with my computer.

#6 Duke

Duke

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 08:29 AM

Its all I've been playing the past few days, and I love it. Its such a vast improvement over 2003, and Onslaught rocks.

One thing though, it seems to take me ages to get into the ship on AS-Mothership, I keep getting nailed by the other starfighters....am I doing something wrong? Is there some kind of countermeasure button that I don't know about on the ships?

(Yes, I'm back - thought I'd come browse the forums, see what's going on)

#7 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 15 April 2004 - 11:55 AM

I liked Onslaught.

That being said, UT2K4 still suffers from most of the same issues I've had with its previous incarnations. That is, clunky physics, slow and clumsy weaponry, and the inability to tell from which god-damned direction one is being attacked by the pain response. The damned thing all but forces you to ignore any damage you take and focus on some single-serving goal.

Then again, perhaps I have just been spoiled by the nigh-flawless game design skills of John Carmack, Patron Saint of Programming (at least, in MY official canon, which I have sent to the Pope for his personal review). The Quake series is still the pinnacle of deathmatch gameplay for each generation of First Person Shooters.

DEATH

Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without.  --Hávamál 38

#8 Sacapuntas Cabesa

Sacapuntas Cabesa

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 02:25 PM

I haven't heard anyone say a word about Unreal Tournament 2004 anywhere on the internet. Not the Something Awful forums, not CtrlAltDel-online.com, not Penny-Arcade, not Here. Nowhere.

http://www.penny-arc...004-03-19&res=l

http://www.penny-arc...004-03-10&res=l

Two of the comics PA has done, plus Tycho was talking about it constantly in newsposts.

I liked the demo, but not enough to buy it. Beautiful game, and I didn't have any problem with it running on my comp on almost the highest settings at 1024.

Athlon 2600+
512Mb DDR
integrated Geforce4 MX
If the world is so unfair, why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?

Dinobot smash!!!

#9 Jappo

Jappo

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 01:42 AM

Seems like everyone is using an Athlon proc. I have a 2600+XP... and a 9600 Rad Pro, 512mb DDR. Although I think my MB or vid card may be melting or something. I don't like it... built this comp myslef(first time) and would hate to see it melt.
"When life gives you lemons, you squish those lemons into the eyes of your enemies." - Jappo

#10 Guest_ALIENfromMars_*

Guest_ALIENfromMars_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2004 - 05:37 AM

http://www.vgcats.co...s/?strip_id=106

Beware of the n00bs in UT2K4 ...

Edited by ALIENfromMars, 17 April 2004 - 05:38 AM.

#11 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 11:45 AM

http://www.penny-arc...004-03-19&res=l
http://www.penny-arc...004-03-10&res=l
Two of the comics PA has done, plus Tycho was talking about it constantly in newsposts.

But Tycho never really does anything but make a reference to the game, like in those commics. He never actually talks about it for more than a line and a half. I want a bulleted list godamnit!
Welcome back Duke

Edited by Langley, 17 April 2004 - 11:51 AM.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users