Editing Our Posts

...leaving crumbs behind

2 replies to this topic

#1 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 04:37 AM

Hey, I'm not sure if cxwq has addressed this before, but I want to mention the way that after you edit it leaves a message describing when you edited your post. In most cases, this is helpful. However, often I find myself finding a stupid typo and going back and changing it, only to leave "crumbs" of my mistake behind. It would kind of be nice to have a couple minute window before the forum would record my edit having taken place. I feel like the large message telling everyone that I screwed up is detracting from my valuable posts. ;)

How do the rest of you (especially cxwq) feel about this issue?

<edit> changed "wanna mention" to "want to mention" in order to sound more professional. ;)

Edited by Jangadance, 07 April 2004 - 04:39 AM.

"The 'dance goes on..."

#2 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 07 April 2004 - 08:28 AM

Well here's the thing. I agree that the large advertisement of your mistakes is kind of annoying, cross that, very annoying at times. While there is utility for the information it's pretty much just something we never bothered to change in this version of the site. But here's the rub, it's just not a fix high on the priority list. As I've mentioned many times before, I am not a programmer and provide cxwq with precisely 0 help in modifying this site physically. Right now he is hard at work on a Karma system that, while being much closer to fruition than I think a lot of people reallize, is quite a load of work. Until that is completed I really can't see us worrying too much about these rather minor inconveniences. Instead I'd suggest you simply reread your messages before posting them, which you really should be doing anyway I would think. That 2 minute hesitation has saved me more than a few times from making mistakes larger than typos, in fact, it often used to be what kept me from flying off the handle at every turn. It's not a race, make sure you say what you want to say the first time, and if you just miss an error that you simply can't withstand, than the edit text really isn't that large a deal.

Again, I'm not the programmer, if this is pretty easy to achieve and not at all opposed by my partner, maybe it'll be done sooner than I've implied, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

VACC

#3 MysticFalcon182

MysticFalcon182

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 11:01 PM

There's also a button labeled "Preview Post" next to the "Add Reply" one. :wacko:

~Mystic~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users