• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:38 PM

When:
10 am through 3 pm
Saturday, July 3rd, 2010

Where:
Lake Artemesia
Intersection of Berwyn Rd. and 55th Ave.
Berwyn Heights, MD 20740
Google Maps
More information

Posted Image

There is parking about half a mile north of the park. Click here to see the location of the parking lot. Alternatively, go to the address listed above in Google Earth/Maps.

The park is accessible by Metro through the College Park station. There are two ways to get to the park from the Metro station: 1, 2. Both routes are about equal in length.

Definites: (10)

Doom
Nate
Phree Agent +2
Aftershock_81
Vindt
DX
Eboreg
Altoidal
Shockwave

Maybes: (2)

Naes Draw

Restrictions and safety:

If you are under 18, wear eye protection.

No blasters or darts are explicitly banned*. However, if anything is causing trouble, I will not hesitate to ask the person using it to stop and to not bring it to my wars in the future. If you think it might cause problems, don't use it.

*I'll place a limit on kinetic energy density at 0.025 J/mm^2 if you want to get technical. This approximately translates into a maximum range of 110 feet for typical slug darts. I will not test this unless someone is curious; this is merely a guideline.

Doodle:

Click here to select what dates work for you. Post here too that you are interested to bump the thread. We can figure the rest out once a date is chosen. Edit: A date has been chosen. I'm keeping this here so others interested in organizing wars in the area can see what days people are available.

If you are validating:

If you are validating and want to attend the war, please email me at btrettel at umd dot edu.

Edited by Doom, 02 July 2010 - 08:37 PM.

#2 nate the great

nate the great

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

Coolio! I can probley come to this. Submitted the Doodle thing.
PRI you are a fucking idiot.

2 slingshot weights is basically a steel bullet with a foam sabot
-Mr BadWrench

You have a tampon on your gun. There's your problem.
-Hi Yah!

Join the Revolution!

#3 Phree Agent

Phree Agent

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:01 PM

I will check my work schedule and then do the survey. But I am very interested, and am excited to see more and more wars being planned for this area!

EDIT: I did the Doodle survey, but those results can be altered however I want practically, I just have to know in advanced so that I can switch shifts with somebody else.

Edited by Phree Agent, 30 May 2010 - 06:10 PM.

#4 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:17 PM

If anyone screws up or wants to change their entry completely, I can delete entries. I can change individual entries too, so if anyone wants to change a date or two, let me know.

June 26th and July 31st are looking like possible dates so far.

Edited by Doom, 30 May 2010 - 06:37 PM.

#5 sharvil06

sharvil06

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:12 PM

I might not be able to come to this one because it is about an hour away and can't get my mom to go all the way over there, but I am a definate if you guys can have a war in Montgomery County. Phree might be having one in Montgomery County I think. Doom, are you still planning to have that war in Rockville that we were talking about?

#6 Doom

Doom

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:45 PM

I'll leave planning a war at that site to Crankymonky as that's where DCNO has been held in the past. I choose this site because I'm familiar with it and it's reasonably close to a Metro station.

As for Rockville, I'd have to spent about an hour and a half in transit to get there. The Metro fare would be about $9 to go there and back. I'd prefer to be very familiar with any field I host a war at, and that means I'll have to be there a few times at the very least, which means I'll have to spend a good deal of money to do something at Rockville. I'll keep anything I organize close to my residence for that reason.

Edited by Doom, 30 May 2010 - 07:48 PM.

#7 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

I cannot make any Nerf wars until June 27th.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#8 T dog

T dog

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:47 AM

I'm totally down for this. I love lake artemesia, its a beautiful spot for a walk, picnic or all out nerf war. I think it would be a great spot.
Grains not brains!

#9 Aftershock 81

Aftershock 81

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:28 AM

I'll be moving a few hours south in early July and don't know for sure what my new work schedule will be, but I will definitely show up if this happens on or before the 4th of July.

#10 Doom

Doom

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:58 PM

Thanks everyone for filling out the Doodle.

July 3rd looks to be the most agreeable date. I'll update the original post when I have the time.

Feel free to continue to add yourself to the poll if you haven't already. We could do multiple dates and I'm sure other local war organizers would find the poll to be useful.

#11 Phree Agent

Phree Agent

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:04 AM

Doom could you please update the first post? I think that will boost attendance, or at least awareness.

Also, to those attending, I will be posting a huge sales thread in the near future and you all will have priority over those that I would have to ship to if your bids are comparable. Just a perk of the job :P

#12 Doom

Doom

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:54 AM

Thanks for reminding me.

I've updated the first post. I've marked everyone who said the date was okay as a definite. Let me know if you want to change your status.

#13 Naes Draw

Naes Draw

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

I don't see this date being a problem, put me as a maybe.
The nerfer with the green goggles.

|||||)

#14 DX-Robert

DX-Robert

formerly DX

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:54 PM

At this point I am a definite unless an event comes up, but I doubt that there are any conflicts. [BTW to the usual crowd, I'm in DC for the summer, so i won't get to see you guys until Apoc]. Looking forward to meeting new people in the DC area this summer though!

United Nerf Ops - The premier northeast US nerf club serving the tristate area (NY, NJ, CT)
NYC Nerf Ops - Nerf in New York City itself
NJ Nerf Ops - Nerf in New Jersey
CT Nerf Ops - Nerf in Connecticut

UNO also has a Discord server, DM me on Discord to join (@vincentdrake)

-----------------------------------------------
My other groups:
Nerf Thrifters - A group for posting thrifts and other second-hand finds

#15 sharvil06

sharvil06

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:13 AM

Sorry, but I can't come due to the fact that we are leaving to go to NJ on the 2nd.

#16 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:21 PM

Count on me coming
Always bring your sword to battle.

I pity the fool who attempts to use a single-shot blaster against me.

#17 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:21 PM

EDIT: M-M-M-Multipost

Edited by Eboreg, 13 June 2010 - 07:22 PM.

Always bring your sword to battle.

I pity the fool who attempts to use a single-shot blaster against me.

#18 Phree Agent

Phree Agent

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:37 PM

Don't want this to die

Also...I will be a definite, with possibly +3 with me. The more the better.

#19 Shockwave

Shockwave

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:42 PM

I don't think I have work that day and I'll try to show up. It'll be my first organized nerf war

#20 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:15 PM

I'm now a "maybe". Sorry, but something came up and I don't know if I'll be able to make it now.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#21 DX-Robert

DX-Robert

formerly DX

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:16 AM

Just a reminder - this is coming up soon. Weather looks dry so far, but plan on 90+ heat.

United Nerf Ops - The premier northeast US nerf club serving the tristate area (NY, NJ, CT)

My other groups:

#22 Naes Draw

Naes Draw

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:25 AM

This is looking good for me. Can't wait.
The nerfer with the green goggles.

|||||)

#23 Doom

Doom

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:28 PM

Yeah, it should be a lot of fun.

I have a Berserker now, so I won't need to borrow a gun. Unfortunately, the only modifications I'll have time to do is AR removal, but that won't stop the war from being fun. :)

Anyone else interested in organizing more regular wars? I was thinking we could try for one every two weeks with intermissions and carpools for more major wars. Let me know here.

If Lake Artemesia works well, we could do more wars here, but I'm willing to try any place in the DC area.

#24 DX-Robert

DX-Robert

formerly DX

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:21 PM

The only issue I have with Artemesia is that it\\\'s so open. I think that games are most interesting when there is abundant mid-range cover, which both reduces the need for range and makes breaking standoffs easier. Artemesia certainly isn\\\'t lacking in woods, but they tend to be dense and the trails are filled with runners and bikers. Of course, I don\\\'t know how the venue will turn out until I\\\'ve actually fought on it...

I checked out some parks last weekend. Several parks in the area seem to have the same problem of dense vegetation with long, narrow trails. Great for hiking and running, bad for fighting a Nerf war. Have not looked at too many open-air parks yet, so far the ones I\\\'ve seen get heavily used.

EDIT - There appears to be some kind of filter or something that is breaking apostrophes in my post.

Edited by DX, 28 June 2010 - 02:23 PM.

My other groups:

#25 Phree Agent

Phree Agent

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:37 PM

Yeah, it should be a lot of fun.

I have a Berserker now, so I won't need to borrow a gun. Unfortunately, the only modifications I'll have time to do is AR removal, but that won't stop the war from being fun. :)

Anyone else interested in organizing more regular wars? I was thinking we could try for one every two weeks with intermissions and carpools for more major wars. Let me know here.

If Lake Artemesia works well, we could do more wars here, but I'm willing to try any place in the DC area.

I am totally game for hosting a war and/or having this be a sort of regular thing, BUT the only way it would be worth it to me is if we had a solid group of people that FOR SURE would be there. I can't commit to driving up there twice a month if only 4 or 5 will show up, but the concept is great.

Also, just a reminder to attendees: Bring your CASH, I am bringing a few boxes full of stuff to sell. I don't want my sales to stop or hinder the actual war, but during lunch or before/after will work well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users