Semi-Automatic Nerf Gun

38 replies to this topic

#1 PVC Arsenal 17

PVC Arsenal 17

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:14 PM

Deleted

Edited by PVC Arsenal 17, 23 June 2010 - 07:44 PM.

#2 wardrive

wardrive

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:29 PM

Wow, nice work.. ranges?
It's not called incompetence, We call it Leadership.

#3 nate the great

nate the great

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

Very nice! Could you also make a firing video? Please?
PRI you are a fucking idiot.

2 slingshot weights is basically a steel bullet with a foam sabot
-Mr BadWrench

You have a tampon on your gun. There's your problem.
-Hi Yah!

Join the Revolution!

#4 PVC Arsenal 17

PVC Arsenal 17

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:34 PM

Deleted

Edited by PVC Arsenal 17, 23 June 2010 - 07:44 PM.

#5 Eh Watt

Eh Watt

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:58 PM

Whoa! That's...just...magnificent! That thing is just incredible. Great. Job.

One question I have is in the video, nothing happens to the last shell, do you have to pull it out, or does it just fall out when the clip gets taken out? Anyhow, seriously wonderful job, I'm hoping that there will be a more in-depth writeup for this, as there are a lot of really good designs for things in here. Marvelous. I mean it! :P

Edited by Eh_Watt?, 26 May 2010 - 07:29 AM.

John Hancock

#6 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:09 PM

Excellent, excellent job. I was waiting for this ever since I saw it pop up on Spudfiles. I'd also like to formally apologize for my short-sighted post last year in your semi-auto pistol thread. People can nerf however they like too, there is no one way.

Now for some Q's:
What pressure do you normally run this at (I know you already posted a 0-300 PSI range, just wondering what you find yourself most often using it at)?

How expensive are all the parts together (excluding a CO2 source, reg)?

Again, great work. I look forward to more of it. I'm also especially anxious to get a more detailed look at the ejection system.

#7 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:33 PM

Great work. I don't have much else to say.

I'm still not convinced enough to use shells, but I can't argue with your results.

What do you intend to do to catch the ejected shells? And how quick is loading?

#8 PVC Arsenal 17

PVC Arsenal 17

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:34 PM

Deleted

Edited by PVC Arsenal 17, 23 June 2010 - 07:45 PM.

#9 Doom

Doom

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:48 PM

@Doom: I don't plan to catch them at all anymore. I suppose I could, but I don't need to. I made a cutting guide so I can cut out dozens of shells very quickly... and CPVC is dirt cheap. Loading the darts into the shells is a little time consuming, but the real pain seems to be overcoming the force of the magspring. I might use a string to hold the mag open the way you did with the FANG. With the ability to load via ejection port and replace mags VERY quickly, I don't mind the hassle of shells.

I see. This makes more sense for HvZ than typical Nerf wars because you don't need to reload too quickly. And if you have multiple magazines ready to go, there's no harm done.

The string worked well, so I suggest it. And I hadn't realized you can load via the ejection port... that's clever.

This is a very intriguing mechanism that I'm interested in trying. I wish I had more time.

#10 MavericK96

MavericK96

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:25 AM

I'd love to see a detailed write-up of this, as it seems fairly simple in terms of a parts list and construction.

#11 YakMan

YakMan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:34 AM

This is really exciting -- the use of off-the-shelf parts means that just about anybody could build one. I've got three questions:

1. Why did you use shells? Is it just to avoid problems with the clip, or does the "bolt" cycle so fast that it would rip up stefans?
2. Did you have to machine any of the parts? The "receiver" into which the barrel fits looks like it might be custom-made.
3. Where can I order the parts? :)

#12 Doom

Doom

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:43 AM

PVC Arsenal could explain in more detail how to build it. As far as I know, the only part that involves significant machining is the square tube, and he used a dremel on that. :)

It looks like a few parts are soldered or welded on, but I can't be certain.

Many of his components come from Clippard. I wrote a bit about how to buy Clippard components at a discount at SpudFiles. You basically have to call a local distributor.

I suppose it's about time to make a new thread about using QEVs here as I'm certain people have more questions now. This is a nearly two year old thread I made about the simple valve combination that makes these guns possible. Note that PVC Arsenal and I now use far smaller Clippard valves. Deltrol's QEVs are pretty big; the JEV series from Clippard is a little bigger than a quarter! I'll explain in detail how these valve assemblies work and how to order the parts.

By the way, to anyone who likes semi-auto air guns, FANG prototype 4 will be coming out in a month or two...

Edited by Doom, 26 May 2010 - 07:53 AM.

#13 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:45 AM

I wish I had known a long time ago that Clippard made QEVs. Theirs are much more compact than most of the ones available.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 26 May 2010 - 09:47 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#14 Doom

Doom

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:29 PM

I wish I had known a long time ago that Clippard made QEVs. Theirs are much more compact than most of the ones available.

I should have made the QEV guide a long time ago then. I'll begin work on it...

rork found some other small QEVs that are available at Fastenal. I'll find the link. I don't remember if they are cheaper.

CS, might you consider reviving ARR?

Also, this is my 300th post. It only took 6.5 years. :P

PVC Arsenal, your design is making me reconsider a somewhat similar one I drew up back in February or March. It's very similar to ABP5K (i.e. what you did here without shells). I think I'll prototype it to test its feasibility. If it's not at least 95% reliable, I'll go back to turrets.

#15 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:43 PM

CS, might you consider reviving ARR?

No, something unrelated. I really don't like box magazines.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#16 PVC Arsenal 17

PVC Arsenal 17

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:43 PM

Deleted

#17 MavericK96

MavericK96

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:36 PM

Awesome, I'll be watching this thread to see how you did it all.

#18 PVC Arsenal 17

PVC Arsenal 17

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:49 PM

Deleted

#19 MavericK96

MavericK96

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:01 PM

I wonder if you couldn't set up some sort of two finger trigger system, like some paintball guns have.

#20 PVC Arsenal 17

PVC Arsenal 17

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:19 PM

Deleted

#21 Rogue713

Rogue713

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

Great job PVC, looks great. Not only that but it sounds like it fires nicely to. A parts list would be greatly appreciated. :)

Edited by Rogue713, 26 May 2010 - 09:18 PM.

Because calling a nerfer a nerd is like calling water wet.

#22 wohnson89

wohnson89

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:43 PM

That looks pretty beastly so far but you never can tell until you get ranges. One of the main questions that I have is what is the magazine made out of? (parts and what not) I searched the post for this information two or three times to make sure my eyes were not deceiving me and since I didn't find it. Now I have to risk looking like a idiot.

--Off Topic-- Are their any plans to put a shell around it?

Edited by wohnson89, 26 May 2010 - 11:49 PM.

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

1992 Subaru SVX- My Baby

#23 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:17 AM

First off, beautiful gun. Secondly, is there any chance of a writeup for this? Even a simple one would be great if you could spare the time. I've been looking for a new project to start on, and I really like how this gun turned out.
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#24 ultimatenerf 320

ultimatenerf 320

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:32 AM

This thing looks beastly, and looks to have great ranges. But how does the magazine work? I don't see a spring or anything for that matter to push the shells up. And when you shot it as fast as you can, I thought to myself "this is like a tommy gun for nerf".
I am not Mr.fail, but I am just-ever-so-slightly-insane.
"don't srcew with me, I have badass sword-fighting skills."
FL wars are amazing and Effeminate.

#25 compound

compound

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:39 PM

Awesome. Do you think that you would be able to replace the Co2 with compressed air? And about how much was the total build cost?
Join the Revolution!

QUOTE(BustaNinja @ Mar 15 2010, 07:42 PM) View Post

Go to goodwill, and find anything, and everything that will work as ammunition, whether it be cups, dolls, or the tiny mexican children.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users