Make Your Own Wye

For those that refuse to buy what you can make

12 replies to this topic

#1 cheyner

cheyner

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:15 PM

Having successfully built my first wye for my MEGAHAMP, I decided to try building one for my 4B. Seeing as how it was going to be of a more suitable size for the community, I decided to document my fun with PVC for you.

Materials:
½ Inch PVC
Super glue
Hot glue
Dremel
Angle or mitre box
Knife of some sort
½ Drill bit
Sand paper

First you want to bust out your angle or mitre box and mark and cut a piece of PVC at 45 degrees.
Posted Image

Take your sand paper and wrap it around some ½ inch PVC. Sand your 45 degree cut on this until you get a nice snugish fit. You could also use the sanding drum on your Dremel if that’s how you roll.
Posted Image

Now grab some more ½ inch PVC and your ½ drill bit. Use whatever method of drilling you prefer, I just use a spade bit with a ratcheting screwdriver. Drill 2 close to overlapping holes or one if you have some time.
Now use your knife/Dremel and connect the holes.
The next part is pretty much trial and error. Widen the hole so that no PVC shows when you hold your 45 piece up to it and look in the PVC.
Posted Image

Time to trim your 2 piece’s down to size. You don’t want them to be too short, nor do you want them to be too long. Try to get them just long enough so that there is enough to hold the pipe going into the piece.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now you need to make sure the ends of your wye can accept ½ CPVC.
This will be easiest with a dremel with a small sanding drum. Take your time and make sure to check your fit often.
Posted Image
All 3 ends should more or less look like this.

Time to glue the 2 pieces together making sure it is lined up at the same time of course. I like to use a drop or 2 of super glue to hold it together before I smother it in hot glue.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now all you have to do is follow this very timely posted thread and then strap it to something big and powerful.
Posted Image

This design can easily be used to make wyes of all sizes, not just for ½ CPVC.
For my MEGAHAMP I used ¾ PVC, as it needed to accept ¾ CPVC and ½ PVC.

Beaver's post claiming Kane's post claiming Demon Lord's post is correct is correct is correct.

Canadian Nerfers-R.I.P.

#2 Spud Spudoni

Spud Spudoni

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:35 PM

I knew this was possible. Almost wanted to try making one myself if I didn't get an actual wye. Very nice...

industrial designer

#3 cheyner

cheyner

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:58 PM

Home made PVC wyes are not at all new to Nerfhaven, but I would say your method seems quite a bit cleaner than Carrtoon's method from 4 years ago. I still would highly recommend solvent welding instead of hot-melt glue OR electrical tape.

Thank you Bob, I was not aware of that. As for the glue, I agree completly with you, I'm just very impatient. This one actually is held together mainly by Loctite Gel super glue, with the hot glue for an extra bit of strength. I make sure there is no super glue showing before I do this as well.

Beaver's post claiming Kane's post claiming Demon Lord's post is correct is correct is correct.

Canadian Nerfers-R.I.P.

#4 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:14 PM

Nice. Glad to see someone made one work. The one I made did something that I've never seen ever happen with any clip system before:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:08 PM

I only advantage that I see with a homemade wye is that you can customize the angle. If you have a mellower angle you can use longer darts with the system and darts should load smoother. Try a 40 or 35 degree angle next time. Nice job.l
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#6 cheyner

cheyner

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:07 PM

I only advantage that I see with a homemade wye is that you can customize the angle. If you have a mellower angle you can use longer darts with the system and darts should load smoother. Try a 40 or 35 degree angle next time. Nice job.l

Thank you, another very important factor for making wye's, is the fact that Flexpvc's shipping to Canada is crazy.

Canadian Nerfers-R.I.P.

#7 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:33 AM

Thank you, another very important factor for making wye's, is the fact that Flexpvc's shipping to Canada is crazy.

It's not much better in the states.

#8 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:03 PM

Yours is a little cleaner than mine.

Posted Image

Granted, looks don't matter if it functions properly.

Edited by atomatron, 27 May 2010 - 12:03 PM.

Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

#9 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:17 PM

Oh, man. Atomatron, that is an excellent design. So simple.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#10 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:08 PM

nice automatron! That simplifies the wye greatly. Now it should be easy for me to make one.
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#11 angelfalcon

angelfalcon

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:43 PM

I realize this is a necro, but I believe I may have something extremely significant to add. This may just be the simplest way yet to create a homemade wye, inspired by KaneTheMediocre's Slamfiring Hoppered HAMP wyeless shotgun hopper design.

Posted Image

The only downside is that you lose a small amount of power from the not-too-straight airway. But most guns you're using a hopper for aren't exactly short on power, or you'd have singled them.

I apologize for the crappy MSP picture, I thought of this and quickly drew it up, because I was anxious to get it posted.

Edited by angelfalcon, 13 August 2010 - 10:46 PM.

According to your mom, size matters. My blaster is four feet long. What about yours?

I measured mine and I got about 11 inches.

#12 Abyss Mods

Abyss Mods

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:50 PM

This is a good idea, but i wouldn't say its THE simplest way. You should check out my version. ;)

#13 Y-Brik

Y-Brik

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:19 PM

Props for creativity, but if you just join the far-right 45 to the tee, you have a wye with a direct airflow. Works fantastically with PVC cement!

As I said I have not not alot of testes yet but I will be once I finish the mod.

Why I am boycotting Hasbro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users