Nite Finder Range Mod

6 replies to this topic

#1 wendigo

wendigo

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:37 PM

Dear nerfheads,

I've put up a gallery of a mod I did to a Nite Finder to increase the power and range. I'd be interested to hear what you all think about it:

http://wendigo.smugm...bies/NerfMod02/

#2 nerfman000

nerfman000

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:28 PM

Overall kind of noobish BUT this is something needed for new members and I hope other users will see that and not just chew u out. I think it is a simple and effective mod and i also like the layout of explaining the mod, very easy to follow and comprehend... only problem is that not everyone has a dremel, but yea good job.

#3 catmods

catmods

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:52 PM

Good job. You removed the air restrictors and banded a Nitefinder.
"Don't worry I'll just close it. Your gun sucks." - Talio

#4 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:00 AM

I've put up a gallery of a mod I did to a Nite Finder to increase the power and range. I'd be interested to hear what you all think about it

For someone starting out, this is a good first step. I'm not trying to be a dick, and I'm not trying to undercut your work, but what you've done here is Nerf Modding for Dummies, nothing more.

Now, if you're asking what you can do to make it better, I'd suggest the following:

1. Wind some electrical tape or Teflon tape (for plumbers) under the rubber o-ring so it seals better.

2. Epoxy in some piano wire to your plunger so it doesn't break like the first one.

3. Add a 'dart stop' to your barrel (I use a wire inserted in a hole I drilled across the diameter of barrel near the back, then sealed with e-tape or hot glue). This will prevent a stefan (or Streamline) from being ramrodded into the plunger tube.

4. I get odd looks for this, but I use 1/2" K&S brass in NF barrels. 1/2" I.D. (Internal Diameter) is generally considered too tight for most people, but it seems to work well for me. Either that, or nest 1" of 1/2" brass in 4" of 17/32", so you get a 'telescoping barrel'.

5. I wouldn't use Super Glue - it tends to shatter under shock, and the plunger tube to barrel joint will get a lot of jolting. If you want it permanent, use something like Gorilla Glue. I'm not sure if the parts are ABS or not, but, if they are, ABS cement from the plumbing section will work.

6. Look around for some other springs, either narrower in diameter to nest inside the NF spring, or stronger and suitable to replace it. People here swear by McMaster's K29 spring (I'll leave using the site search as an exercise for you - trust me, if you don't use it, and it's out there, people will flame you crispy.)

7. I've taken to using bungee cords instead of rubber bands. Yeah, it's the same stuff inside, but I think bungee cord elastic isn't as prone to drying, aging, etc as Office Depot rubber bands.

8. If you go all Boy Scout on how you attach the bands (bungee or naked rubber), you can get the elastic to anchor to the top and the bottom of the plunger handle. This will balance out the forces on the plunger bar and will hopefully keep your yellow NF from going the way of your blue one. Here is an example of what I mean.

Again, I'm not saying your mod isn't clean, or isn't functional. I'm just saying that this place has some very heavy hitters, and stuff like what you did, while a good first step, is only just that - a first step.

But, hey. We all have to start somewhere.

Edit: Oh, and linking to a writeup elsewhere isn't going to win you friends. Write it up here, and use 'img' tags in your writeup to embed the images in the post. Don't make people click to some other site to read the juicy details.

Edited by taerKitty, 24 May 2010 - 01:05 AM.

Fugly is a feature.

#5 wendigo

wendigo

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:23 AM

This guide was more meant for my friends at work who are first time nerf modders rather to impress the wizards here at NerfHaven. I recognize people are doing things in here far in excess of anything in my guide. I was more interested in hearing about poor choices I had made. (e.g. don't remove the rear air restrictor, it damages the plunger or don't use those rubber bands, they wear out too fast, etc.)

I was definitely also interested in hearing suggestions on how to improve upon the design, which taerKitty so graciously provided. Thanks, taerKitty! I'll have to pick up another Nite Finder and take this one farther using some of your suggestions.

#6 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:10 PM

I would say you were successful in accomplishing your goal. To those here this might seem redundant, but to someone who has never modded before, a clear write-up is critical.

If you wanted to go the extra distance in improving your own nitefinder, I would check out this mod that increases the plunger draw for more efficiency. It shouldn't be too hard if you have the right glue.

You might also consider padding the end of the plunger if you do what taerkitty is suggesting. All that extra power will cause the plunger to hit the end of the plunger tube, and padding is supposed to help this.
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#7 John

John

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:41 AM

I enjoy this, but some added simplicity would be nice. Maybe drilling the AR out instead of dremeling it, because I know almost everyone either has a drill, or has a parent that has a drill. Also, I don't think the zipties are necessary.
Just my 2 cents.
I haz a cheezburger wif 2 pickles an longcat's blessing. Oh yeah, and a side of awesumsaus.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users