Karmic Questions.

{Insert witty subtitle here}

1 reply to this topic

#1 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 10:02 PM

Hey Cx, if you happen to read this I have a few questions about Karma that I don't believe you've answered already (or you might have and I didn't understand it).

1) When a user gets selected as a mod, will they have seperate pools for positive and negative Karma or a collective number which they can divide as they see fit? The reason I ask this question is I'm not sure if Karma is designed more to reward good posts or punish bad posts, and with only a few points to spend it may be difficult to do both.

2) Will users have to obtain a set amount of positive Karma before being able to be drawn as a moderator, or will they have to be a member for a certain period of time? My concern here is that someone could create multiple accounts (think troll logic here) just to increase the chances of them getting mod points and then spend them to "bump up" the primary account they actually post under.

3) If a user (again, assume troll, n00b, etc) makes multiple posts in the same topic, all of which are deserving of negative Karma. Will the chosen mods at that time all have to apply negative karma to the same post in order achieve some sort of temp banning/result? If three mods all apply negative karma to three different posts all by the same user, in the same topic, will this have an impact on the troll-user?

That's it for now. I hope these questions bring are valid points and aren't just wasting my time. Fuck your time, you're in California, I'm stuck in the non-existant realm of Central Jersey thus only entitling me to non-existant time.
~Famine
of Mag-7
East Coast Nerf 2005: Step It Up.
East Coast Nerf 2006: That's more like it.
East Coast Nerf 2007: I'm not driving to Massachusetts again.
East Coast Nerf 2008: Day of Regret.
East Coast Nerf 2009: Quid pro quo, douchebags!

#2 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 10:23 PM

1) When a user gets selected as a mod, will they have seperate pools for positive and negative Karma or a collective number which they can divide as they see fit?  The reason I ask this question is I'm not sure if Karma is designed more to reward good posts or punish bad posts, and with only a few points to spend it may be difficult to do both.

There will be a single pool of mod points for each moderator. They will have to determine how best to spend it. The moderation guidelines will outline the appropriate use of mod points as well as the overall concept. I will encourage moderators to do more positive moderation than negative moderation. Negative moderation is largely punative while positive moderation helps organize the site on a quality basis. There will be more categories to choose from that result in positive moderation than negative.

2) Will users have to obtain a set amount of positive Karma before being able to be drawn as a moderator, or will they have to be a member for a certain period of time? My concern here is that someone could create multiple accounts (think troll logic here) just to increase the chances of them getting mod points and then spend them to "bump up" the primary account they actually post under.

Yes and yes. Your chances of being selected as a moderator are non-existant if you're a very new user or if your Karma is below average. Your chances of being selected as a moderator increase as your account ages and as your Karma increases. Users with IDs in the 1-100 range who have maxed Karma will probably be moderators once every three days or so. Users with recent IDs (but not brand new) and merely average Karma will probably be moderators only once a month or so. Accounts that are never used to post constructively will get so few mod points as to be irrelevant.

3) If a user (again, assume troll, n00b, etc) makes multiple posts in the same topic, all of which are deserving of negative Karma. Will the chosen mods at that time all have to apply negative karma to the same post in order achieve some sort of temp banning/result? If three mods all apply negative karma to three different posts all by the same user, in the same topic, will this have an impact on the troll-user?

Temp banning will result from a specific number of posts reaching a score of -1 within a set time frame. This would require that two moderators reduce the score of the same post, multiple times. Since the core group of users (who are logged in most frequently) will be the ones getting the most mod points, I don't think this will be too difficult in practice. Moderators shouldn't think of their job in terms of temp banning, that's merely a nice side effect of moderating the real dipshits. As long as you use your points for increasing or decreasing the scores of the most deserving posts, they will make the forum a better place. Even if the n00b doesn't get temp banned, they will rapidly drop to below average Karma and their posts will default to a score of 0 rather than 1. The default view for normal users will not see posts with a score of 0.

Oh yeah, and I'll still be around with my amazing account deletion powers. If someone is really a troll it won't take long for me to delete them, mail their ISP, and prune their posts from the forums.

That's it for now. I hope these questions bring are valid points and aren't just wasting my time. Fuck your time, you're in California, I'm stuck in the non-existant realm of Central Jersey thus only entitling me to non-existant time.

Those are valid and interesting points which I'm sure will help to clarify Karma and moderation for many people. Thanks for the feedback.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users