Photo

Angel Breech Catching Issue

6 replies to this topic

#1 Uuklay

Uuklay

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:03 AM

So I've Angel Breeched my longshot, and I'm really proud of it. I followed every step down to the letter from SGnerf's blog, and cross referenced with FA's write-up. In the time I waited for the epoxy to dry, I performed an ass load of side mods to it. The seal is 100% airtight. It's beautiful, it really is. And I'm very pleased with it.

But... I have an issue that came up. During my test firing (which was very satisfying, in both feel and result), the gun stopped catching. It simply stopped catching. I'd pull the priming handle back and push it forward again, and the plunger would come back with it. I've reinforced the catch plate spring already, and when I open the gun up I can't see anything noticeably wrong with it.

I am distraught. 20+ hours of work, and I can't for the life of me figure out why it isn't catching.

Thoughts? Thanks.

#2 SgNerf

SgNerf

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:06 AM

So I've Angel Breeched my longshot, and I'm really proud of it. I followed every step down to the letter from SGnerf's blog, and cross referenced with FA's write-up. In the time I waited for the epoxy to dry, I performed an ass load of side mods to it. The seal is 100% airtight. It's beautiful, it really is. And I'm very pleased with it.

But... I have an issue that came up. During my test firing (which was very satisfying, in both feel and result), the gun stopped catching. It simply stopped catching. I'd pull the priming handle back and push it forward again, and the plunger would come back with it. I've reinforced the catch plate spring already, and when I open the gun up I can't see anything noticeably wrong with it.

I am distraught. 20+ hours of work, and I can't for the life of me figure out why it isn't catching.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Since you've already tested it with stronger catch spring, then the issue is not in your catch plate... the next most likely cause is due to the position and length of your brass bolt.

If the length of the brass bolt is too short or the positioning of the bolt attachment is not correct, then when you prime your Longshot, the brass bolt might not be able to push back the plunger far enough to enable the plunger rod to catch.

The easiest way to solve this, is to simply add another layer of padding to the plunger head, then test prime again. If it catches, then your brass bolt and plunger layout are now "calibrated" to the correct positioning.

If it still doesn't catch, then just add another layer of padding and try again.

I have helped a few modders to solve this issue by using the additional plunger padding method. Hopefully it works for you too. :D
Nerf News & Reviews! >> http://www.sgnerf.blogspot.com
Nerf Mod Guides! >> http://www.modworks.blogspot.com

#3 Uuklay

Uuklay

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:34 AM

Since you've already tested it with stronger catch spring, then the issue is not in your catch plate... the next most likely cause is due to the position and length of your brass bolt.

If the length of the brass bolt is too short or the positioning of the bolt attachment is not correct, then when you prime your Longshot, the brass bolt might not be able to push back the plunger far enough to enable the plunger rod to catch.

The easiest way to solve this, is to simply add another layer of padding to the plunger head, then test prime again. If it catches, then your brass bolt and plunger layout are now "calibrated" to the correct positioning.

If it still doesn't catch, then just add another layer of padding and try again.

I have helped a few modders to solve this issue by using the additional plunger padding method. Hopefully it works for you too. :D

Much thanks. I'm going to try this in the morning.

Although, it was working for a little bit... And then just suddenly stopped catching. Do you think something could have moved?

#4 SgNerf

SgNerf

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:18 PM

Much thanks. I'm going to try this in the morning.

Although, it was working for a little bit... And then just suddenly stopped catching. Do you think something could have moved?

Interestingly, i've experienced that in some of my modded Longshots before too, especially after adding in much stronger springs.

One of the causes could be the plastic parts actually flexing and bending due to the additional spring load, and probably after a few shots, the affected parts weaken and tend to flex more (which over time naturally results in overstressed and broken components).

If a particular blaster unit's plunger assembly happens to have a catch point that requires exact plunger positioning (no excess "give"), a slight flex in the bolt sled could just prevent the bolt from pushing the plunger back far enough for it to catch.

Therefore, adding another layer of padding to slightly "extend" the plunger can sometimes solve that issue.

Anyways, i guess thats one of the causes... there are probably many other causes that are less noticable but also affect the workings of the catch system.

#5 MindWarrior

MindWarrior

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:18 PM

Check to see if the boltsled is cracked, that might be the cause, Unlikely, but its always good to check since your opening your LS anyways.
EDIT: For what SGnerf said above me, you could also reinforce your boltsled to prevent bending, I've seen some people use pieces from a coat hanger or Carbon fiber to reinforce them.

Edited by MindWarrior, 19 May 2010 - 12:20 PM.

QUOTE(Ryan201821 @ Jan 2 2010, 03:20 PM) View Post

Seriously, no penis pumps or dildos on your Nerf blasters.

REVOLUTION BABY!

#6 SgNerf

SgNerf

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:29 PM

MindWarrior has a very good point, the bolt sled might also have developed a crack which would result in the entire bolt sled overflexing on either side, thus causing the bolt draw to be misaligned and shortened.

If thats the case, then you'll definitely have to repair the bolt sled and stiffen the entire bolt sled assembly, as per MindWarrior's recommendation.

Edited by SgNerf, 19 May 2010 - 12:30 PM.

#7 SorrowX

SorrowX

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:11 PM

I agree with SGNerf and MindWarrior, its probably the boltsled warping under stress. Instead of reinforcing the boltsled, you could drill a 7/32 hole where the pin that holds the bolt & boltsled is located, and use a section of 7/32 music wire to prime it. It works wonderfully in my Longshots that have them installed. Just be careful when drilling, because it does have a chance of warping the brass underneath.
You may have the balls, but I have the lack of morality!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users