6 replies to this topic

#1 hadokn

hadokn

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:05 PM

Ok, So some of you may remember this mod I did a few years ago:

http://nerfhaven.com...opic=11291&st=0

I'm having trouble finding a speed controler that will work. The few Pots that I've picked up from radio shack burn out as soon as I hook them up, so I'm wondering if anyone here has any electrical know-how? Thanks guys.

#2 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:38 PM

i think your best bet for cheap and easy would be a mechanical speed controller from an RC car or a slotcar controller.
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#3 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:56 PM

A potentiometer is a variable resistor. So if you want it to adjust the supplied voltage, it also has to be able to handle the wattage of the load you are adjusting. I highly doubt you'll find one that can handle the current that your motors is demanding.

I would suggest going with a PWM controller instead. What voltage is the motor rated for?

Edited by CaptainSlug, 17 May 2010 - 10:58 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#4 father time

father time

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

Dude, I know this has very little to do with your question but, that would make a great defend the core weapon if you had it on a rotating base, and could have full control of the direction of fire. Get a hopper for the balls , and use a looser feed tube so it can gravity load.
Ask her if she wants you to give her a multiple orgasm.
And when she looks stunned show her a picture of the blaster.
But if she gets excited. You're in.
-Miguel Ramos
Time is the one thing you can never escape.-Father Time

#5 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:20 AM

Why do you need a speed control for the motor? Couldn't you just add a contact to the trigger, so right as you start to pull it the motor turns on.(kinda like the nightfinder and it's light)

#6 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:45 PM

You may be able to use the controller from a cordless drill unit.Many of them have variable speed, and there are tons of them at thrift stores sans batteries.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#7 hadokn

hadokn

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:34 AM

Why do you need a speed control for the motor? Couldn't you just add a contact to the trigger, so right as you start to pull it the motor turns on.(kinda like the nightfinder and it's light)

Going from zero to full destroyed the gears. It has to charge up because of the friction. This thing really was not designed for these rpms. I'll dig out the battery/motor and find out what the power values are, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users