Photo

Nerf Maverick Problem

27 replies to this topic

#1 nyyanksjw

nyyanksjw

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:57 PM

While disassembling the gun (maverick), I noticed a short, fat spring popped out when removing the slide. Once I put the thing back together without that spring, the gun doesn't shoot and only makes a loud sound when I try to. Later, I tried to modify the barrel and took it out and cut the rods off, also throwing away any pieces attached to them as shown by this video (I followed all its steps concerning the barrel but taking it apart the first time was unrelated).

However, I was left with one spring that was skinnier than the other 6 fat weak ones so I kept it. Since I still don't have the first problem fixed, I'm not sure if this spring will have any difference as well. How can I get the maverick to work again? I'd really appreciate the help :-)

If it makes any difference, this was the first time I made any changes to the gun.

#2 Spud Spudoni

Spud Spudoni

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:13 PM

The skinnier, stronger spring is essential to your turret going into place and for it sealing correctly. Without it, your gun will shoot, but no darts will be shot since the turret isn't making a proper seal with the plunger tube. This spring should be put at the side of the turret, opposite of where you put your darts in if I remember correctly. (Just in case you weren't sure of where the spring came from...)

industrial designer

#3 SerpentofSet

SerpentofSet

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

That short fat spring was probably part of the rail that allows extras to be aded to the gun, like a scope or something. It has nothing to do with actual gun performance. Did you modify/move your plunger in anyway?
Whenever I'm bored, I go onto NerfHaven and start reading the closed threads with a last post by VACC.

#4 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:17 PM

http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=8367

http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=5735

#5 jaw495

jaw495

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:15 AM

That spring is not needed unless you want to put accessories but keep it if you can, it does not affect the guns performance. It happened to me but I opened it back up, pushed the barrel in, make sure the plunger (the orange tube) is correctly in there. Hopes this helps!

Edited by jaw495, 13 May 2010 - 05:15 AM.

How old are you?? and your playing with nerf guns? ya, so I'm the loser. (No Offense to anybody else on here that's not a dick. you guys rock.)

Hal9000
Jesus christ VACC, what kind of show are you running around here?
Are those... purple pirate boots on your feet?

#6 nyyanksjw

nyyanksjw

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

To everyone,

The only changes I made were exactly as shown in the video which I gave a link to in my original post. I want to make it clear that the gun stopped functioning after I opened it up THE FIRST TIME and took out that tiny fat spring. After another opening, this time following the video, I noticed a slightly taller but skinnier spring that was different from the 6 springs found in the barrel. Was the video I watched a scam which broke the gun or what? If you need to be reminded, the gun will fire but makes a loud sound and no darts come out. Any suggestions/help are much appreciated :D

From what I can see, my internals (including springs) match this photo (not mine):

I noticed that the spring on the top left separated from the gun looks like the one I have but that still doesn't explain why my gun doesn't shoot. What can I do?

Btw, I'm a nerf noob and I'm also clueless as to where any of the springs came from :lol:

Posted Image

Edited by nyyanksjw, 13 May 2010 - 10:52 PM.

#7 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:37 PM

Read the links I posted, they should fix your problem.

#8 nyyanksjw

nyyanksjw

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:41 PM

The skinnier, stronger spring is essential to your turret going into place and for it sealing correctly. Without it, your gun will shoot, but no darts will be shot since the turret isn't making a proper seal with the plunger tube. This spring should be put at the side of the turret, opposite of where you put your darts in if I remember correctly. (Just in case you weren't sure of where the spring came from...)

Could you elaborate please referring to the picture maybe? I'm new at this so thanks.

#9 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:41 PM

Your problem lies completely with the seal of the gun. There is a spring that goes under the turret rod. Make sure that it's still there. Make sure your turret is put back together correctly.

One little error you made in putting the thing back together is to blame for your problems. Take your time and look for it.
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#10 nyyanksjw

nyyanksjw

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:44 PM

Read the links I posted, they should fix your problem.

I've seen the first post but I still haven't found a solution. It's important to note that the spring shown in the second picture IS NOT the skinnier spring I am referring to. Mine has more coils than that one.

#11 nyyanksjw

nyyanksjw

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:46 PM

Your problem lies completely with the seal of the gun. There is a spring that goes under the turret rod. Make sure that it's still there. Make sure your turret is put back together correctly.

One little error you made in putting the thing back together is to blame for your problems. Take your time and look for it.

Could you please be more specific regarding the location that you mentioned of the spring under the turret rod. I'm clueless.

#12 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:48 PM

When you pried the turret open, it exploded right? And you got the the orange cap and rod from that. However, you probably lost the spring that seals the turret to the gun. This can be fixed by doing Angel's fix with a stronger spring than an AR spring, put it between the gray swing out part and the front of the turret.

#13 SerpentofSet

SerpentofSet

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:49 PM

...and took out that tiny fat spring.

We've already mentioned that the spring doesn't do anything.

Btw, I'm a nerf noob and I'm also clueless as to where any of the springs came from :lol:

It's not being a noob that causes you to fail, it's your own ineptitude. If a chemistry student carefully follows instructions and doesn't lose anything, his final product should be exactly how it should be, assuming a closed standard environment. If another student reads the first line of the instructions, misplaces a stopper and decides to replace it with one he finds from somewhere else, and blows up the lab, you don't blame the noobiness of the student, you blame his complete failure to do shit carefully.

EDIT: Also saying that you did exactly as the video said doesn't make it true. Just throwing that possibility out there.

Edited by SerpentofSet, 13 May 2010 - 08:51 PM.

Whenever I'm bored, I go onto NerfHaven and start reading the closed threads with a last post by VACC.

#14 nyyanksjw

nyyanksjw

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:52 PM

...and took out that tiny fat spring.

We've already mentioned that the spring doesn't do anything.

It's not being a noob that causes you to fail, it's your own ineptitude. If a chemistry student carefully follows instructions and doesn't lose anything, his final product should be exactly how it should be, assuming a closed standard environment. If another student reads the first line of the instructions, misplaces a stopper and decides to replace it with one he finds from somewhere else, and blows up the lab, you don't blame the noobiness of the student, you blame his complete failure to do shit carefully.

First, nobody needs to argue here - it's a nerf forum. Second, I didn't lose anything and I'm only asking where I replace the springs. So next time, try not to get so excited trying to point out other people's screw ups and try your best to fully understand the situation.

I can assure you that I followed the video precisely so you can understand what I've done. In the unlikely chance that I didn't, that's my problem but that won't help anybody so assume that I followed what the video describes. Also remember the second dissection didn't necessarily cause the malfunction b/c it stopped working before that, after I opened it up just out of curiosity. As if I didn't emphasize this enough, I didn't lose anything so the spring popped out after dismantling the slide along with the orange piece in between the slides that I'm sure is just cosmetic.

Edited by nyyanksjw, 13 May 2010 - 09:08 PM.

#15 nyyanksjw

nyyanksjw

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:22 PM

Alright here's a sequence of events to clear things up:

1. Unscrew all screws
2. Dismantle slide
3. Remove shell
4. Assemble gun without slide spring (which I now understand is useless)
5. Realize gun malfunction :lol:

At this point, steps 1-5 and 6-8 are pretty much UNRELATED

6. Dismantle gun
7. Follow video's steps
NOTE: The video simply explains a mod and is unrelated to any type of fix
7.5. Once I opened the turret, it surprisingly didn't explode so I was able to dump the pieces out slowly and continue following the video's steps.
8. Realize that one spring is smaller than the other 6 from the turret

* Please watch the video so that you at least know what I've done so far

As of now, I have the 2 springs and the 3-pronged caps (6) and a dysfunctional maverick

#16 nyyanksjw

nyyanksjw

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:24 PM

You said in your first post that you threw away "any pieces attached to" the barrel pegs. Now you say you didn't lose anything. That's losing stuff - important stuff. Losing those rings killed your blaster.

If the spring you keep mentioning came out when you took ONLY the slide off, then it's nothing - it goes under the tiny orange piece, pressing that upward to try to align any rail accessories.

Watch the video and tell me if following those steps killed everything or not.

#17 nyyanksjw

nyyanksjw

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:31 PM

Watch the video

Not gonna happen.

Concerning the turret, I removed the 6 weak springs, the 3 pronged caps, and cut the rods off and put back the remaining "stubs". Besides that, everything else should be the same.

#18 nyyanksjw

nyyanksjw

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:59 PM

Posted Image

Notice the rod is cut off^^^^

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by nyyanksjw, 13 May 2010 - 10:35 PM.

#19 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:15 PM

Yeah, you need to get a photobucket or something. Those links don't work and links aren't great even if they did work.

#20 washedup

washedup

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:32 PM

I'm not tryin to be a dick, but this is a good time for you to really find out for yourself how these things work. I can't see anything obiviously wrong with your blaster. And thats the thing, we can only see a picture. We're not there with the gun. I know it's frustrating, but you'll gain a lot of knowledge and experience figuring it out on your own. Good luck.
Go FUCK yourself!

#21 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:43 AM

Not sure if this will fix the problem at hand, but it does seem to be a mistake that could cause some trouble:

Isn't the longer (aka "taller") spring in Nyyanksjw's third picture supposed to go between the back cap of the metal bar and the rear cylinder support?

Posted Image
(image courtesy of Baghead's mod writeup)

The kid in the video that you followed seems to have lost that spring without ever noticing it, while this kid notes it upon disassembly but later forgets to put it in during reassembly.

However, Umpshaplapa does it right: http://www.youtube.c...BqyYeE8#t=6m35s
That link will start in the middle of the video. He replaces the rod into the turret and notes the placement of the spring.

Also, right after that step, he mentions putting a spring from the air restrictor in front of the cylinder. This is an optional step, but it should help seal the barrels to the air source. (Note: For more information about this step, check here: http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=5735).

Another thing to check is the placement of your plunger tube; I've seen people assemble it incorrectly, resulting in a huge space that allows air to leak out between the plunger and the barrels. I think it looks alright in the pictures that you posted, but I'm not absolutely sure.

PS: All you guys (except Bob) fail at helping.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#22 SerpentofSet

SerpentofSet

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:43 PM

I just rage when people pull out being a noob as an excuse, as if it's some bulletproof vest that protects them from flames.

Anyway, if you review previous posts, you'll find that the answer had already been provided, albeit without pictures. I don't know if he just ignored them or not, but they solve the problem.

#23 nyyanksjw

nyyanksjw

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:07 PM

nevermind. Sorry - I guess I was remembering a detail from a mod, not from a stock one.
I've got one opened up here now though, so maybe I'll spot something.

Let's troubleshoot the rotation timing - please check the rotation, as you repeatedly press and release the trigger. It should bring a barrel into firing position just as the trigger is fully back, and then rotate halfway to the next barrel when you release. If you're not touching the trigger, it should always stop halfway between two barrels. If that has gotten misaligned, darts probably won't move.

That's not a problem - at least I knew how that worked :D

#24 nyyanksjw

nyyanksjw

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:10 PM

I just rage when people pull out being a noob as an excuse, as if it's some bulletproof vest that protects them from flames.

Anyway, if you review previous posts, you'll find that the answer had already been provided, albeit without pictures. I don't know if he just ignored them or not, but they solve the problem.

Did you consider that I brought it up so that people wouldn't overwhelm me with terms that I would be unfamiliar with?

#25 nyyanksjw

nyyanksjw

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:13 PM

jwasko and Bob,

I appreciate the help and I'll let you know if that was the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users