Photo

Help With Creating A Nerf Warzone

15 replies to this topic

#1 camcam

camcam

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:19 PM

Me & some of my friends are making a Nerf war area called Vietnerf. (play on Nerf and Vietnam) in Halifax, PA.
Just wondering how we should go about letting people use equipment, policies, advertisement, lost darts, all that kinda stuff. we're kinda stumped so if anyone has any ideas just post them. Thanks! i'll be making a youtube vid about the area this weekend probably and ill post the link here.

#2 cpl pupdum

cpl pupdum

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

You need cover for hiding, and lost darts, If they are the customers stefans, keep them, if they are yours keep them. Do you own the property?
=rand() [hit enter]
fly eagles fly

"Wow, Bob, wow"
the man from another place, twin peaks

#3 camcam

camcam

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

You need cover for hiding, and lost darts, If they are the customers stefans, keep them, if they are yours keep them. Do you own the property?

nope. we don't own the property, but its public, so we're fine there. We have plenty of natural cover (densely forested with paths through and some flat areas, plus a beach with plenty of large plants on it.) thanks for making the decision about the darts for me, cuz we (me & my friends) are split 50/50 over charging admission so we can supply darts or just telling people to bring their own.

#4 cpl pupdum

cpl pupdum

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:52 PM

nope. we don't own the property, but its public, so we're fine there. We have plenty of natural cover (densely forested with paths through and some flat areas, plus a beach with plenty of large plants on it.) thanks for making the decision about the darts for me, cuz we (me & my friends) are split 50/50 over charging admission so we can supply darts or just telling people to bring their own.

Are you going to make this permanent??? ask your local athourities if you can use that spot you have in mind.
=rand() [hit enter]
fly eagles fly

"Wow, Bob, wow"

#5 camcam

camcam

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:04 PM

Are you going to make this permanent??? ask your local athourities if you can use that spot you have in mind.

Noone else is gonna use it. its by the river and it probably won't be permanent. We're gonna clear out a bunch of foliage and such and set up some simple forts, it'll only be operational during summer cause we need to be able to have most of the peepz who helped make it there during wars and such. also, its Halifax. We have no authorities that you speak of cause everyone's mom is a b*tch and rats on everyone, so authorities aren't needed.

#6 cpl pupdum

cpl pupdum

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:17 PM

Noone else is gonna use it. its by the river and it probably won't be permanent. We're gonna clear out a bunch of foliage and such and set up some simple forts, it'll only be operational during summer cause we need to be able to have most of the peepz who helped make it there during wars and such. also, its Halifax. We have no authorities that you speak of cause everyone's mom is a b*tch and rats on everyone, so authorities aren't needed.

Never been there, but I MIGHT be able to go to wars there. And for ideas, look at brits thread at nhq.
=rand() [hit enter]
fly eagles fly

"Wow, Bob, wow"

#7 Broderick

Broderick

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:40 PM

Well, I don't really think you'd need much at all. Most people just go to a normal old park and nerf; even just a small field with semi-sparse trees works just fine.
If you want to make a really in-depth play area though, you'll probably just want to build a couple structures/high points, sort of like a paintball course. However, barricades other than those for bases during CTF present problems because people camp there and take pot-shots with overpowered blasters; thus making it less fun for everybody.
EDIT: I just read post #5 in the thread, and it seems like you've already thought of this. Disregard then.

Edited by Broderick, 10 May 2010 - 06:41 PM.

#8 camcam

camcam

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:17 PM

Well, I don't really think you'd need much at all. Most people just go to a normal old park and nerf; even just a small field with semi-sparse trees works just fine.
If you want to make a really in-depth play area though, you'll probably just want to build a couple structures/high points, sort of like a paintball course. However, barricades other than those for bases during CTF present problems because people camp there and take pot-shots with overpowered blasters; thus making it less fun for everybody.
EDIT: I just read post #5 in the thread, and it seems like you've already thought of this. Disregard then.

actually, your input here IS useful. I hadn't thought about campers XD
We set up a couple of really defendable points behind large clusters of trees and we actually went to the trouble to make foxhole-like fortifications in the areas with tall grass (and by tall grass i mean the stuff you can get friggin lost in!) for ambushes. Hmm. Think i should get a couple of vulcans and set them up with 500-round belts and position them at the bases?

#9 Broderick

Broderick

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:22 PM

actually, your input here IS useful. I hadn't thought about campers XD
We set up a couple of really defendable points behind large clusters of trees and we actually went to the trouble to make foxhole-like fortifications in the areas with tall grass (and by tall grass i mean the stuff you can get friggin lost in!) for ambushes. Hmm. Think i should get a couple of vulcans and set them up with 500-round belts and position them at the bases?

500 round belts are going to be just a bit hard to reload--- not to mention expensive, heavy and awkward. :D Besides, if you tried to stand up at all with it, even though most of it would be on the ground, you'd break your Vulcan without much problem. The gears inside don't have enough torque to lift that heavy of a chain and will strip out / break.
A Vulcan or two wouldn't hurt though, it'd be fun. A Foxhole sounds interesting though.

#10 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:09 PM

Hmm. Think i should get a couple of vulcans and set them up with 500-round belts and position them at the bases?

I would be careful with this. I have found that even 125 dart chains are really pushing it. Any belt over 25 will not feed if you walk around with the vulcan. The belt has to be resting on the ground or a platform, which what I am assuming you are doing anyway.

I would not make belts bigger than 100 darts. Anything more is just excessive. You could however, make multiple 100 dart chains.

I really like what you are doing. You could help make rapid fire a viable option in nerfing.

Also, I would test your setup every time you make a change. Do this to assure you are creating a battlefield that is as balanced and fair as possible.

Edited by durka durka, 10 May 2010 - 08:10 PM.

"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#11 camcam

camcam

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:56 PM

'bout the vulcan thing

I shoulda been clearer on that! i meant set up stationary guns with the belts stored in some .50 cal ammo boxes (yep, i have a couple!) so you could feed the belt with one hand and aim/fire with the other.

Edited by camcam, 10 May 2010 - 09:57 PM.

#12 tuna the fish

tuna the fish

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:14 AM

About the vulcan chain problems. If its going to be in one place then i find putting weights in the first few belt holes then it will out weight the other side and run smoother. Great Idea though, I like it alot.

#13 camcam

camcam

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:15 PM

About the vulcan chain problems. If its going to be in one place then i find putting weights in the first few belt holes then it will out weight the other side and run smoother. Great Idea though, I like it alot.

thanks for the weight idea, and thanks for the support!

#14 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:19 PM

Noone else is gonna use it. its by the river and it probably won't be permanent. We're gonna clear out a bunch of foliage and such and set up some simple forts, it'll only be operational during summer cause we need to be able to have most of the peepz who helped make it there during wars and such. also, its Halifax. We have no authorities that you speak of

This is true...I spent 13 years growing up in Halifax PA. In any case, I suggest light cover like large cardboard boxes or inflatables if you have that kind of money.
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife
Rknight-- wow......N9---your dad is in trouble now!

#15 camcam

camcam

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:49 PM

Noone else is gonna use it. its by the river and it probably won't be permanent. We're gonna clear out a bunch of foliage and such and set up some simple forts, it'll only be operational during summer cause we need to be able to have most of the peepz who helped make it there during wars and such. also, its Halifax. We have no authorities that you speak of

This is true...I spent 13 years growing up in Halifax PA. In any case, I suggest light cover like large cardboard boxes or inflatables if you have that kind of money.

thanks for the advice. We'll probs set up stuff like that in the bases, because the rest of the areas are pretty varied. The whole thing is about a quarter mile long!

#16 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

camcam, your post quality is marginal at best. Reread the board rules.
http://nerfhaven.com...?act=boardrules

Also, you really don't want to open yourself up to the kinds of liability in involved in something like this. You are not a business and therefore shouldn't be charging people for rentals. And you do not own the land nor do you have a permit so you cannot charge admission.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 11 May 2010 - 03:21 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users