Photo

Where Are Nerf Guns Going?

11 replies to this topic

#1 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:52 AM

So I've been thinking a bit lately as to the future of Nerf weapons as I've seen more and more new guns being released with reverse plunger systems, weak springs, complicated internals, and an overall lack of stock or modded power. A great deal of focus has been centered on the realism of the design and its advertising potential, which is completely understandable from Hasbro's point of view; if it makes money, why do otherwise? Yet if this trend is to continue (And I see no reason why it shouldn't), what will happen to Nerf as a whole?

I think this is a good time to make it clear that I'm NOT trying to do the whole prophetic, end-of-Nerf-as-we- know-it kind of proclamation. Instead, I'm more wondering where this will take the way Nerf is played. If weaker powered, high rate of fire guns continue to be produced and phase out higher powered guns, will Nerf wars begin to center on close quarters fights? Will modifications have to become more and more complicated and most readily available to those with expensive tools (Which I believe violates the spirit of Nerf)? Will homemades begin to take more precedence over modification in order to keep those high ranges? Or is this just a temporary trend that will fade over time?

I'm not saying that high power guns will ever completely disappear *Looks at BBBB, RFSG, PAS, Titan*, but its hard to argue that the current trend is toward a weaker, safer gun. Just thought I'd ask for some thoughts on the matter... what do people think on this?
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#2 MindWarrior

MindWarrior

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:58 AM

"Theres still Lanard"
QUOTE(Ryan201821 @ Jan 2 2010, 03:20 PM) View Post

Seriously, no penis pumps or dildos on your Nerf blasters.

REVOLUTION BABY!

#3 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:10 AM

what will happen to Nerf as a whole?

It will continue to be a profitable brand for Hasbro. And better still, profitable for their imitators.

What blasters are available really only effects us in an indirect way. There's still a happy medium for range, and it lies between 50 and 80 feet. Any amount of accuracy beyond that will for the most part negatively impact our ability to actually ENJOY Nerf Wars.
Shooting too hard, too far, or too accurately takes away from the positive aspects that make this hobby unique.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 07 May 2010 - 01:11 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#4 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:14 AM

what will happen to Nerf as a whole?

Nerf will go on. At least as long as Hasbro is making a profit (and from my friends who work at retail, they tell me N-Strike blasters fly off the shelves at Target and K-Mart).

I won't stop modding or nerfing just because Hasbro produces inverse-plunger clip-fed blasters that are more challenging to mod and have a lower ceiling on potential output. Nerf is just too much fun for that.

The most fun I've ever had at a war was still Dart of War at University of Maryland, where just about everyone was using N-Strike blasters and stock darts. That's because nerfing is inherently fun, regardless of whether your blaster shoots 15 feet or 150. You might have to make some adjustments or do some more serious modding to get the results you want, but at the end of the day it's all about having fun.

Really, you have to step back and look at this hobby from a distance. Nerf blasters are kids' toys in their stock form. We're taking kids' toys, modding them, then running around with them shooting each other.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#5 Fome

Fome

• Banned
  • 312 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:30 AM

Nerf can keep their tacticool bullshit. The way I see it, if people want to shoot foam at each other they'll find a way. Whether it's making 5+ hamps for the price of a raider, commissioning (or making your own) highly efficient homemade springers, modifying guns like lanard shotguns and BBBBs, or using stock blasters and darts, "Nerf" doesn't necessarily have to be a part of nerfing.

If you don't like Nerf's direction lately, then don't buy their shit. There's plenty of other viable options out there. If Nerf so happens to produce another moddable gem like the BBB or AT2K in their pursuit of pushing this "almost realistic" N-strike crap then that's just awesome, but don't count on it.

#6 Aquinas

Aquinas

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:44 AM

As tempting at it is for any one of us to try and make the farthest-shooting blaster possible, I always try to remind myself of this simple fact, stated outside the packaging of any Nerf Blaster:

"Ages 8+"

This, for me, means a number of things. As many have stated over the years here on NH, no matter how young or old we are, these are toys that we're wielding. Of course, we all inevitably ignore the "do not modify" warning within seconds of returning home with a new blaster, but for me, there's still a line to be drawn. Fundamentally, this is a kid's game. This is theirs. I'm just a quasi grown-up trying to relive part of my childhood through foam-flinging, lots of running around, being silly, yet still working towards a common goal with my teammates. It is a game. You are really not supposed to get hurt, and this is definitely not a test of manhood. All these ideas, as a starting point, definitely dictates how I approach this hobby in general, as well as my attitude in interacting with my fellow foam-flingers.

I find myself really enjoying pistol-oriented (or prominently incorporated) gametypes, rather than just pitting one primaries-wielding team against another. My RSCBed-Triggerfire is fast becoming my favorite blaster (though I didn't get a chance to use it in the past two BAFFs...), and I think it's a good balance between solid velocity and range (hits pretty hard at about 60 - 80 ft), along with excellent ROF. Of course, that means having to get over myself, suck it up and put my high-powered blasters away.

At the end of the day, Hasbro is going to produce products that sell. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, with the way new products are coming out. We can choose to be stubborn, or we can start coming up with gametypes that can incorporate a wide range of blasters, are objective-driven, fast-paced and engaging. For me, that equates to fun, rather than having everyone standing around with a cannon taking pot shots at each other, with rounds taking forever to complete.

Ultimately, I think what makes foam-flinging communities work comes down to this (and in this order): the people, the games, and the blasters (in a distant 3rd). If you've got great people who are willing to be creative, make compromises, come up with awesome gametypes, than the matter of what blasters you play with isn't nearly as big a deal as we often make it out to be.
"Who's Steve?"
"Stiff. With an 'F'."

#7 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:27 AM

I think a few people have gotten the impression that I'm complaining or something of the like; trust me, I'm not. Going along the line of what dizzy said, some of the most enjoyable games I've played have been in an office building with a bunch of stock streamlines, Longshots, and 5 minute cardboard shields that doubled as hit-your-friend-when-out-of-ammo mellee weapons. I'm more curious to hear answers like Aquinas' answer; where do you think Nerf will progress to next?

Maybe this is obvious to others, and if it is, feel free to let this die, but if not, I'm happy to hear some answers.
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#8 jaw495

jaw495

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:38 AM

I guess your right I don't think anybody noticed but the secret strikes are not sold in stores I went to target and they did not have them.
How old are you?? and your playing with nerf guns? ya, so I'm the loser. (No Offense to anybody else on here that's not a dick. you guys rock.)

Hal9000
Jesus christ VACC, what kind of show are you running around here?
Are those... purple pirate boots on your feet?

#9 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:45 AM

I completely agree with Dizzy.

At the past few FL wars, the "stock" rounds were some of the most fun. I love my LS's and RFSG, but I think I had the most fun at CFNF #3 when I put down my LS mid-war in favor of my Deploy.
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife
Rknight-- wow......N9---your dad is in trouble now!

#10 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:30 AM

More Homemades.

More pistol rounds.

#11 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:19 AM

I think you all need to get a grip...

For me, it's not what I use but how much fun I'm having

As long as I'm having fun with nerf, I'll use anything from a recon to a +bow.

#12 sistermol

sistermol

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

In my opinion it doesnt matter what kind of plunger system they use, we will always find a way to mod it to make it decent.
For example, look at the raider and maverick. We switched their plunger tubes out with nitefinder plunger tubes. I think that shows the potential we have as modders. Hell check out the most recent reactor mod, that thing gets like 60 feet if I remember correctly.
What I'm trying to say is no matter what nerf makes, we will always do what we do best.
Without darkness how would we recognize the light?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users