Photo

Universal Coupler Bbb Write-up

23 replies to this topic

#1 Iwillownyou

Iwillownyou

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:50 PM

Ok. So about three weeks ago I got my first BBB. I wanted to cpvc coupler it, but there were no good write-ups for it. Finally I found coop772's video on how to do it. It helped me a lot. Since there are no helpful write-ups on it, I will give back to the community and do one. Thanks to all those people who help me accomplish this modification. Also this is my first write-up so give me a little break if you see something wrong.

Materials: Handsaw, hotglue, 1/2in. cpvc, 1/2in. cpvc coupler, 1/2in. PVC coupler, nitefinder spring,

Step 1: Open up the front part of your Big Bad Bow. This is what the internals should look like. (This is the internals directory picture)
Posted Image

Step 2: At the very front of the gun there is an orange cap. On the orange cap should be the barrel post where the arrows went on. When you take this off the plunger, two things should pop out. The first should be the air restrictor plate, which is a white circular piece with a solid middle. The second piece should be the actual air restrictor.
Posted Image
(This is a picture of the air restrictor. THROW THIS AWAY, ITS USELESS)
Posted Image
This is the air restrictor plate. The plate is the white piece on the very outside, or the bigger circle. In this picture I already took wire cutters and snipped off the solid center middle piece. Do the same thing I did and drill or snip off the center solid piece. This creates more air flow KEEP THIS PART, DON'T THROW IT AWAY)

Step 3: Once you've drilled out the center of the air restrictor plate, cut down the barrel post all the way down. The sand it down so you have a nice even surface. I don't have pictures for this part so you will just have to go with what I say.
Tips: The barrel post is the part that hold the arrow. It is important that the surface is nice and smooth.

Step 4: Now take your 1/2in. cpvc and cut a approximately one and half inches off.
Posted Image
It should look like this. To be precise, put the cpvc in the hole where the orange barrel post used to be. Stick the cpvc in until it reaches the front of the air restrictor plate. It should look like the pictures below. Make sure that a 1/2 length in of the cpvc is sticking out so you can fits the coupler on.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Step 5: Now fill the space around the cpvc with hot glue all the way to the lip of it.

Step 6: In this step you will be making you universal coupler. The universal coupler means that it can fit both cpvc and pvc pipes. What your going to do is take a 1/2in cpvc coupler an shove it into a 1/2 in PVC coupler. When doing this make sure not to shove it in to far. The cpvc coupler should go to the HALF WAY MARK of the pvc coupler. If you do it correctly some of 1/2inc cpvc coupler should be sticking out.. If you shove it in to far the cpvc coupler won't work.
Once your done, glue the part of cpvc coupler that is sticking out on the the cpvc barrel on the orange cap. It should look like the picture below.
Posted Image

Step 7: Ok. now you can either just put the gun back together and be done, or you can continue and put a nitefinder spring in. So next you unscrew the back part of the gun. This is what it should look like.
Posted Image

Step 8: Now you take off the plunger head and the orange circular piece right below it. After you do that, you take out the plunger rod from the back and you should just be left with your spring inside the plunger tube. Here is a couple of pictures to help you out.
Posted Image
(There is the plunger head)
Posted Image
(Here is a spread out version of the the whole assembly)

Step 9: Finally you take your nitefinder spring and insert it inside the BBB spring
Posted Image
(The BBB spring is on top and the nf spring on bottom)

Step 10: Last but not least, you put the gun back together. If you assembled it correctly it should look like the picture below.
Posted Image
As you can see I put some electrical tape around the orange cap and the plunger just for support.

Step 11: Now don't get to excited and just screw the gun together. This is what I did and forgot the catch. The last two picture show the final product and the catch.
Posted Image
Here is the catch
Posted Image
Here is the final and finished project.

A tip that could help you:

1. Don't fill the white air restrictor plate with hotglue like this.
Posted Image
(I learned this the hard way)

The ranges are consistently 80' flat with a #BB weighted stefans.

Also I will do this mod as a contract. So if you want me to make this for you I will be more than happy too. You will have to pay for the gun and labor. With the contract will come five of my nicely made stefans. So send me a pm if you want me too.

Ok, well thats it. I hoped you enjoyed. :D

Edited by Iwillownyou, 03 May 2010 - 10:14 PM.

"I love when people say nerf is for woosies, then I shoot them in back with my big blast and laugh."

My youtube acount! Check it out!

#2 Broderick

Broderick

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:15 PM

Great first write-up man, but I don't know if this universal system is a completely new idea. I think I saw this on a Big Blast one time, but it's always helpful to have more knowledge on it. You may not want to include the youtube link in the bottom though, it may be considered spamming. I don't know, but you can put it in your signature at least iirc.

#3 Iwillownyou

Iwillownyou

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:19 PM

Great first write-up man, but I don't know if this universal system is a completely new idea. I think I saw this on a Big Blast one time, but it's always helpful to have more knowledge on it. You may not want to include the youtube link in the bottom though, it may be considered spamming. I don't know, but you can put it in your signature at least iirc.

Ok. Its removed. Its not a new idea, thats where I learned it from. This time I'm just putting it on the BBB. I didn't invent the universal coupler.

Edited by Iwillownyou, 02 May 2010 - 11:21 PM.

"I love when people say nerf is for woosies, then I shoot them in back with my big blast and laugh."

#4 jakejagan

jakejagan

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:52 AM

I think it is an excellent write-up because there wasn't one here before. Some noob might not know how to do this mod and now with this write-up, they will have an idea.
00:38 jakejagan I hear you guys still bring up the "gangsta shot"
00:38 Bags it is legend now

17:45 *** MrPzowned was kicked by Zorn (MrPzowned)
17:45 Zorn moral of the story: don't pick on idle mods yo

#5 titanium2

titanium2

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:33 AM

Ranges?
00:19 N9 I love the smell of cocaine
01:01 N9 I must make it clear though...I don't do cocaine.

#6 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:22 AM

This is a really great, simple mod. Nice pictures and descriptions. Good job man.

I think it is an excellent write-up because there wasn't one here before. Some noob might not know how to do this mod and now with this write-up, they will have an idea.

I agree that this a great write up, but Zorn has a writeup for this. Check his BBB overhaul. It's insane, he does everything to it.

Ranges?

That was a fail post. You should probably use some more words. Maybe some comments about the gun?

Edited by HOTH, 03 May 2010 - 09:34 AM.

My YouTube

Solved the Rubik's Cube in 46 seconds

"Nobody understands quantum mechanics" - Richard Feynman

#7 magnesium22

magnesium22

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:19 PM

What the f**k? You told me to throw the piece away and not to throw it away! I'm confused!

Anyways, nice mod and first post, I might try this soon........
Nerfing in NC? PM me!

#8 jakejagan

jakejagan

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:21 PM

I agree that this a great write up, but Zorn has a writeup for this. Check his BBB overhaul. It's insane, he does everything to it.

I highly doubt that a person new to Nerf would do a total BBB overhaul as one of their beginning mods.

For the fail post, I would guess between 70-80 feet flat.

#9 titanium2

titanium2

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:26 PM

I highly doubt that a person new to Nerf would do a total BBB overhaul as one of their beginning mods.

Way to be a Dick when a person asks how a mod proforms. Valuable posting by you.

*The ranges are consistently 100' flat with a #BB weighted stefans.

Nice fucking guess.

*Saw Hoths post so I guess all So Cal nerfers under 20 just need to bitch at every one and comment nice mod on everything posted up?

Edited by titanium2, 03 May 2010 - 03:36 PM.

00:19 N9 I love the smell of cocaine
01:01 N9 I must make it clear though...I don't do cocaine.

#10 SerpentofSet

SerpentofSet

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:22 PM

Haha, are you mad?

Gah, ok. Translated into english.

What the f**k? You told me to throw the piece away and not to throw it away! I'm confused!

You misunderstand, although I do think he could've been slightly more chronological with his steps. He says throw away the air restrictor and NOT the thing the air restrictor is connected to.

Edited by SerpentofSet, 03 May 2010 - 05:22 PM.

Whenever I'm bored, I go onto NerfHaven and start reading the closed threads with a last post by VACC.

#11 Iwillownyou

Iwillownyou

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:26 PM

If you read carefully, I say throw away the Air restrictor, not the air restrictor plate

#12 Iwillownyou

Iwillownyou

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:30 PM

Way to be a Dick when a person asks how a mod proforms. Valuable posting by you.

*The ranges are consistently 100' flat with a #BB weighted stefans.

Nice fucking guess.

*Saw Hoths post so I guess all So Cal nerfers under 20 just need to bitch at every one and comment nice mod on everything posted up?

I took a tape measure and measured it! Forsure without a doubt its hitting 85 ft flat every single time.

#13 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:12 PM

There is no way you can get 100' with the stock plunger head and only a nf spring added. Try adding a 3/4" long PVC coupler behind the spring. I prefer to hotglue CPVC in the coupler assembly and then cut the CPVC coupler in half and glue it in the PVC coupler. This method has less dead space and looks cleaner.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#14 Kabigon

Kabigon

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:17 PM

I find that a simpler way to make a universal system is just put a 1/2 inch pvc coupler on. Then for your other barrels just wrap e-tape until it fits.

Anyways, really good mod. I was looking for something to make me go out and buy a BBB.
QUOTE(Tannman500 @ Aug 14 2008, 08:17 PM) View Post

CDdts r great u new to nerf if u dont know how to make them
NOOB

#15 jakejagan

jakejagan

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:29 PM

Yeah, 100 ft is complete BS. I had the stock, recon, raider, and nitefinder springs and I got 90 tops. Don't feel inferior just because you don't hit 100 ft with something. It's how you use it that counts.

#16 Iwillownyou

Iwillownyou

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:01 PM

Yeah, 100 ft is complete BS. I had the stock, recon, raider, and nitefinder springs and I got 90 tops. Don't feel inferior just because you don't hit 100 ft with something. It's how you use it that counts.

Yeah. Well thats what I measured, so that what I said. In a war it won't matter to much because from what I hear, the majority of the kills in nerf are from 60ft away are less. Another thing is, is that I love to rush, so weather it goes 80ft or 100ft it won't matter.

#17 jakejagan

jakejagan

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:45 PM

You measured wrong. That shot could have been 1 in 1000, that's why multiple shots need to be taken to diminish random variables.

#18 Broderick

Broderick

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:58 PM

You measured wrong. That shot could have been 1 in 1000, that's why multiple shots need to be taken to diminish random variables.

That, or it could have been a bit angled, or with dart skip if he's measuring on pavement. I would'nt try and sniff out bullshit if it's just a simple error on the person.

#19 Iwillownyou

Iwillownyou

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:13 PM

That, or it could have been a bit angled, or with dart skip if he's measuring on pavement. I would'nt try and sniff out bullshit if it's just a simple error on the person.

I think Broderick might be right. I do measure on pavement and it probably skipped a little. Without dart skip it probably hitting around 80ft then. Jakejagan, I did do several shots, the problem was that I was measuring dart skip. Sorry about that everyone. I will change it.

#20 SerpentofSet

SerpentofSet

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:00 AM

Then for your other barrels just wrap e-tape until it fits.

Electrical tape will eventually wear down and leave this black gunky stuff on your coupler.
Whenever I'm bored, I go onto NerfHaven and start reading the closed threads with a last post by VACC.

#21 Iwillownyou

Iwillownyou

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:14 AM

Electrical tape will eventually wear down and leave this black gunky stuff on your coupler.

So if that happens then I will sand it off, and put some more. Its not a problem.

#22 SerpentofSet

SerpentofSet

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:26 PM

So if that happens then I will sand it off, and put some more. Its not a problem.

I sense a misunderstanding
I was arguing that your version of the universal coupler is more reliable then Kabigons version, which is to just slap on a coupler and then wrap etape around the pipe until it fits.

#23 Iwillownyou

Iwillownyou

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:32 PM

I was arguing that your version of the universal coupler is more reliable then Kabigons version, which is to just slap on a coupler and then wrap etape around the pipe until it fits.

Yeah I did misunderstand you.

#24 Kabigon

Kabigon

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

Yeah it may be more reliable, but I'm lazy :D . Whatever floats your boat!
QUOTE(Tannman500 @ Aug 14 2008, 08:17 PM) View Post

CDdts r great u new to nerf if u dont know how to make them
NOOB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users