Photo

Wipeout Plunger Draw Extension

18 replies to this topic

#1 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:49 AM

The purpose of this mod was to add a coupler to the wipeout and to increase it's draw length by 1/4".
Here's the gun stock.
Posted Image

Remove these parts with a pair of locking pliers.
Posted Image

You should now have this.
Posted Image

Here are the internals.
Posted Image

You won't need these pieces, so thrown them out or put them in your scrap box.
Posted Image

Gut the internals. You should be left with this.
Posted Image

Take this piece, and remove the rubber with a flat head screwdriver, knife etc.
Posted Image

If you did it correctly you should get this.
Posted Image

Take the same piece and bore it out with a 3/8" drill bit
Posted Image

You should now have this.
Posted Image

Now, cut a 1.25" piece of CPVC.
Posted Image

Goop the CPVC into a coupler.
Posted Image

Now, wrap the CPVC in electrical tape until it fits this piece flush.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Add some craft foam to the back of the piece that we drilled out earlier for padding. Then, smear some JB welb on top of it.
Posted Image
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#2 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:51 AM

Posted Image

Now add the coupler on top of the JB weld, try to make it as centered as possible
Posted Image

Take the plunger and glue the plunger head to it. Then wrap the plunger head with electrical tape until it makes a good seal with the plunger. Put goop into the gas in the plunger head. Then, add some craft foam on top for extra padding.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Now take a piece of FBR and hot glue it to the shell. Then take a small spring and hot glue it to the foam and the catch.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Now for the plunger draw extension. Cut about a 1/4" off these rails.
Posted Image

Then do the same to this part.
Posted Image

You should get something like this.
Posted Image

Now, grab the lever and cut off a part on the bottom.
Posted Image

You should be left with this if you did it correctly.
Posted Image

Now, add epoxy putty to the catch notch so that it catches when the plunger runs into the spring rest. It would be a lot better to solvent weld some PVC there instead of epoxy putty, but I did this a long time ago.
Posted Image

Now, make the plunger tube out of the clear tube that comes with epoxy putty. Cut the new plunger tube 1/4" longer than the original one. This tube is a little bit wider than the original plunger tube. Wrap it in electrical so that the coupler assembly fits it snug. The electrical tape also make the plunger tube fit in the shell better and it makes it more rigid.
Posted Image

Now, assemble the internals and you are finished. Here's the finished product. And yes, that is as far as the lever will go down.
Posted Image

I know someone will ask for ranges, it shoots very similarly to my BBB which has a recon spring added and a 3/4" long PVC coupler behind the spring. It also performs comparably with a pistolsplat. It shoots through cardboard with ease.
Quesions, comments, flames?

#3 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:49 AM

Excellent mod. Maybe should of made it more clear you were gonna use an e-putty tube from the outset, but otherwise great work.

#4 archangel24

archangel24

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:20 PM

I just might have to buy another pistolsplat and do this to it and see what kinda ranges I can get from it.
On another note, awesome job. You basically made a weaker version of the pistol splat that may be easier to find for some into an equal.
QUOTE(Talio @ Oct 14 2010, 10:37 PM) View Post

I would much perfer a game that's free of KY. I like it rough. Right, Vacc?

"She went all Ghetto Fab on you."

#5 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:08 PM

Thats awesome. What is blocking the priming bar from traveling all the way down?
My YouTube

Solved the Rubik's Cube in 46 seconds

"Nobody understands quantum mechanics" - Richard Feynman

#6 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:42 PM

Thats awesome. What is blocking the priming bar from traveling all the way down?

The new plunger tube.

#7 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 04:03 PM

You just happened to find a tube that fit the plunger head perfectly? Very lucky. Also impressed you got the plunger cap off the plunger tube so cleanly.

#8 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

You just happened to find a tube that fit the plunger head perfectly? Very lucky. Also impressed you got the plunger cap off the plunger tube so cleanly.

The epoxy putty tube is a little bit bigger than the original plunger tube, but it's an easy fix with a bit of e-tape. Do you mean the rubber piece on the plunger cap, or the the plastic rings on the shell?

#9 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:22 PM

A few flaws that may arise later, but I like this a lot. I'm surprised no one has tried putting homemade plunger tubes and plunger heads in these things.

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#10 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:45 PM

A few flaws that may arise later, but I like this a lot. I'm surprised no one has tried putting homemade plunger tubes and plunger heads in these things.

I actually made this thing about a year ago and the only problem it had was that the epoxy putty on the catch notch would break, next time I'll use PVC and solvent weld. I am gonna try making a new plunger head and plunger tube once I get another one of these.

#11 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:14 PM

Cool idea. Splats have a pretty short stroke to begin with, so every little bit counts.

I can't say I agree with wrapping etape around the plunger head. If you flare them a bit the first time you open them, and dab some lube on it, it will get a perfect seal. I feel that your method only hurts performance.

#12 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:51 PM

What, you mean like this?
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#13 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:02 PM

Cool idea. Splats have a pretty short stroke to begin with, so every little bit counts.

I can't say I agree with wrapping etape around the plunger head. If you flare them a bit the first time you open them, and dab some lube on it, it will get a perfect seal. I feel that your method only hurts performance.

I've tried flaring the plunger head before but the seal didn't last too long. My method also eliminates deadspace in the plunger head and I have a great seal.

#14 moosa

moosa

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:48 AM

He's not using the stock plunger tube.
Yes.

#15 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:11 AM

Doesn't really matter. E-tape will work for a while, but only until the adhesive begins to give way, and then it will degrade very quickly.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#16 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:34 PM

Doesn't really matter. E-tape will work for a while, but only until the adhesive begins to give way, and then it will degrade very quickly.

I added suger glue underneath the e-tape. There haven't been any problems.

#17 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:52 AM

UPDATE: homemade plunger head

Materials:
1" OD 3/8" ID rubber washer
3/4" OD 1/8" ID washers
#6-32 bolt 3/4" long
#6-32 nut
#8-32 washer

First, cut the nub on the plunger.
Posted Image

Then drill it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tap it with a #6-32 tapping bit.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Assemble your plunger head. Put the #8-32 washer inside the rubber washer. Then sandwich the rubber washer between the 2 3/4" washers.
Posted Image

Put the new plunger head on the plunger and thread the #6-32 bolt onto the plunger.
Posted Image

Add a #6-32 nut on the bolt for added strength.
Posted Image

Now all you have to do is put the new finished plunger rod into the original plunger tube. The new plunger head gives about 3/16" added travel and it improves the seal greatly. I also added a 1/4" PEX spacer behind the spring. This mod gives about the same added volume as my original mod, but it is also a lot stronger and easier. All credit of the plunger head goes to venom213.

#18 moosa

moosa

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:25 PM

Nice.

Then drill it.

What size bit?

The new plunger head gives about 3/16" added travel and it improves the seal greatly. I also added a 1/4" PEX spacer behind the spring. This mod gives about the same added volume as my original mod, but it is also a lot stronger and easier.

Are you talking about if you did this mod alone, or if done in conjunction with your extended draw mod?
Yes.

#19 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:46 PM

Nice.

Then drill it.

What size bit?

The new plunger head gives about 3/16" added travel and it improves the seal greatly. I also added a 1/4" PEX spacer behind the spring. This mod gives about the same added volume as my original mod, but it is also a lot stronger and easier.

Are you talking about if you did this mod alone, or if done in conjunction with your extended draw mod?

I don't know the size of the bit, but I can check, it came with my tapping bit and it's slightly smaller in diameter. I was talking about if you did the mod alone. If you had the homemade plunger head with the plunger draw extension you would get 1/2" added volume, but that would be complete overkill, it shoots ridiculous as is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users