Wildfire Rebuild

Saving a broken classic

19 replies to this topic

#1 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:37 PM

Ok, so at CFNO Pinz was lugging around a pile of plastic that used to be a classic---a WildFire. This is a really cool blaster---one of my favorite vintage Nerf guns. Needless to say, at the end of the war, this dismantled hunk of parts was tossed at my feet...........
Posted Image

As cool as the WildFire is----it has several trouble area's........the stock air tubing is terrible, the pump handle's bend, and the plastic fittings for the air lines to connect to are brittle and break. This particular WildFire had all these issue's.....

Let's begin.....The fitting on the back of the firing piston was broken off----shocker, NOT.......
Posted Image

So, I drilled out the hole in the back of the piston, and replaced the broken off plastic part with a brass barbed fitting.....
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ta Da!
Posted Image

Now, the same remedy for the cap on the bladder.....
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

While I had the bladder assembly out, I decided to give the 'Ol WildFire a little boost.......by adding lots of rubber bands to the bladder. Space these out evenly to cover the whole bladder like so......
Posted Image

On to the pump!........Here is our pump assembly---Note that the top air line goes to the Bladder, and the bottom line goes to the Firing Piston----we will be replacing both of these leaky pieces of crap.... :lol:
Posted Image

Our stock pump rod-----weak and flexable, prone to bending
Posted Image

Cut several lengths of coat hanger or other manor of reinforcing material, and place them inside the channels of the pump rod----superGlue them in place.....
Posted Image

Fill the channel with epoxy putty---covering your reinforcing strips, and ending up flush with the top edges of the pump rod....so as not to catch on the shell when being pumped.....
Posted Image

Replace the pump assembly, firing piston, and bladder. Run your tubing, and secure using a sealing agent of your choice. With the internals in place, I also decided to add one more tiny boost......a few bands on the firing piston......
Posted Image

Turret Time!

Take your stock turret, and remove the screws holding the two halfs of the turret together. Seperate the halfs, and keep this----
Posted Image

DON'T POST YET!

IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife
Rknight-- wow......N9---your dad is in trouble now!

#2 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:39 PM

Cut twenty--3" sections of PETG, and secure one over each hole in the turret----sealing at the point where the PETG meets the turret. Add a CS barrel spacer, and you get this sexy beast----
Posted Image

Assembled Internals!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Lastly, I threw a Deploy strap on her for good old Pinz.......Enjoy Bro!
Posted Image

She fires VERY well, and that sound!!!!!!!
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife

#3 moosa

moosa

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:22 PM

Sounds like any air-powered automatic blaster, does it not?

Nice write up here. I love this blaster. :]
Yes.

#4 nisaburo

nisaburo

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:12 AM

Finally this blaster sees some love! Moosa, its a good bit louder than a MS or RF20, all that empty shell space makes for a nice echo-y crack. Rouge, I take it that the clamps around the bottom and top of the bladder aren't broken. I would suggest reinforcing around both as a preventative thing. The last 3 I've had have had heavy leaks because of the crappy plastic cracking and tearing.

#5 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:55 AM

Finally this blaster sees some love! Moosa, its a good bit louder than a MS or RF20, all that empty shell space makes for a nice echo-y crack. Rouge, I take it that the clamps around the bottom and top of the bladder aren't broken. I would suggest reinforcing around both as a preventative thing. The last 3 I've had have had heavy leaks because of the crappy plastic cracking and tearing.

Thank you for the heads up---I will certainly address this.

Moosa---You really need to hear one to appreciate it......it's great.

Edited by NerfRogue83, 23 April 2010 - 04:55 AM.

#6 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:11 AM

Nice work, looks great.

EDIT: REALLY, REALLY, GREAT

Edited by Ubermensch, 23 April 2010 - 03:08 PM.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#7 pinz321

pinz321

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:45 AM

Has anyone seen my jaw? I'm pretty sure I dropped it around here somewhere.

Holy crap Rogue, this is not only beautiful, but functional. Just to let you know, the people at CFNF#3 get to see my face when I fire that thing for the first time. I haven't shot an auto in my life, except for a stock MS 2 years ago.
Thank you!
Effeminate quotes
uin13 a.k.a ice.-have you ever wondered why root-beer
has the word "beer" in it?

BritNerfMogul- Since when have McDonalds and Nerf been associated?

FURYfire, not Fluryfire.

#8 Chadpuff

Chadpuff

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:17 AM

You absolutely must post a video so we all may hear the beautiful music it makes!
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." ...Han Solo

#9 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:04 AM

You absolutely must post a video so we all may hear the beautiful music it makes!

"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#10 moosa

moosa

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:32 PM

Moosa---You really need to hear one to appreciate it......it's great.

I actually have a Wildfire, an RF20 and a Magstrike downstairs in my living room at this very moment... Off I go!

Edit: My ears are ringing. <_<

Edited by moosa, 23 April 2010 - 02:35 PM.

Yes.

#11 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:38 PM

I don't think epoxy putty was the best choice to reinforce the pump shaft. Poly, PVC, aluminum, any type of metal rod, but not epoxy putty. You'll get cracks soon enough, trust me I know.

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#12 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:19 AM

I don't think epoxy putty was the best choice to reinforce the pump shaft. Poly, PVC, aluminum, any type of metal rod, but not epoxy putty. You'll get cracks soon enough, trust me I know.

Thanks for the heads up....there is metal rod that runs the length of the pump rod. The epoxy putty was simply to make the pump rod more rigid.

#13 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for the heads up....there is metal rod that runs the length of the pump rod. The epoxy putty was simply to make the pump rod more rigid.

When you pump guns like this, people usually pump pretty frantically, and you end up sorta pushing the rod back in at a slight angle rather than straight out and straight in.

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#14 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:47 PM

When you pump guns like this, people usually pump pretty frantically, and you end up sorta pushing the rod back in at a slight angle rather than straight out and straight in.

Very true.

Pinz absolutely OWNED with this thing all day today! I have never seen someone use a WildFire as much in a war.....and it survived the intense action in superb condition.

#15 mr yetti

mr yetti

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:36 PM

I have recently obtained one of these beasts from a garage sale for 1$. After reading this im thinking about doing this to mine.

#16 Coal Ten

Coal Ten

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:45 PM

Is that turret from your Rockstar 20, or is it just painted similarly?

#17 pinz321

pinz321

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:56 PM

Yup, this thing was AMAZING. How loud and fun it is makes me want to shout in Arab (if I knew any) while shooting it. Out of each time I unleashed its savageness on somebody, I got at least 3 hits. One of the bursts made 100% darts hit the target. Lovely!
Effeminate quotes
uin13 a.k.a ice.-have you ever wondered why root-beer
has the word "beer" in it?

BritNerfMogul- Since when have McDonalds and Nerf been associated?

FURYfire, not Fluryfire.

#18 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:27 AM

Wow. I fucking love this thing. I already started on modding up my totally wrecked WF. It had a broken rotation mech, leaks everywhere, and a broken pump.

By the way, are the drilled holes on the bladder and piston 3/16th's?
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#19 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:03 PM

Wow. I fucking love this thing. I already started on modding up my totally wrecked WF. It had a broken rotation mech, leaks everywhere, and a broken pump.

By the way, are the drilled holes on the bladder and piston 3/16th's?

I used 7/32", because of the barbs on the fittings.

#20 mitch s95

mitch s95

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:32 PM

Well i just got a wild fire that i practically nib( the guy got it nib like 3 months ago and i still got the box with it).
I will be following this wright up tomorrow. Also how much of a range boost do you get from all the bands in this gun. Ranges?
there are only stupid people, not stupid questions. except for my questions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users