Titan Not Firing With More Than 9 Pumps

11 replies to this topic

#1 kwaneazy

kwaneazy

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:42 PM

Hey guys,

I've recently purchased a Titan and it was going well for the first few days of use (I could get 20 pumps with it and it would shoot well, like a Titan should).

Today however, whenever I pump it more than 9 times, it would only let out tiny amounts of air - barely enough to even make the rocket leave the Titan.

If I pump the pressure gauge to just under full, it would let all the air out, but anymore than that, and it wouldn't let all the air out.

Does this have something to do with the check valve? Is it something that can be fixed or should I return it for a new one?

Cheers,

Sean

#2 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

Is the gun completely stock? And check to see how much the tank pin is opening when you pull the trigger. Check when you pump it with nine, and then check with more. Does it open the same amount?

#3 shadow archer

shadow archer

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:26 PM

If you are not looking for the hassle of opening it up and preforming this http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=8992 [/url] then return it . I had the same issue with a titan, and after I removed the little ball which is the tilt safety, It should work. I would advise you return it though.

#4 kwaneazy

kwaneazy

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:58 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I live in Australia and had this shipped over from Canada from an ebay purchase.

I was going to open it up and do the standard mods anyway so if this thing can be remedied by taking out the tilt balls I'll give it a crack.

I'll see how I go.

#5 kwaneazy

kwaneazy

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:23 AM

Sorry for the double post but just thought I'd update everyone on the problem solving progress.

I've opened up the Titan and taken out the two ball bearings, as well as plugged up the over pressure valve with hot glue.

When I put the gun back together I was able to pump it 22 times and it fired beautifully. My excitement, however, was short lived, and subsequent attempts at pumping it more than 9 times have failed.

Lt. Stefan - I plan on reopening and checking the tank pin opening. If I find that it doesn't open as much with more pumps what should I do?

#6 nate the great

nate the great

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:59 AM

Also, make sure you cut down the hot glue (or whatever you used to plug the pump) so it's flat with the end of the pump head. If you don't do that you will destroy your check valve.
PRI you are a fucking idiot.

2 slingshot weights is basically a steel bullet with a foam sabot
-Mr BadWrench

You have a tampon on your gun. There's your problem.
-Hi Yah!

Join the Revolution!

#7 Darth Freyr

Darth Freyr

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:40 AM

Also, make sure you cut down the hot glue (or whatever you used to plug the pump) so it's flat with the end of the pump head. If you don't do that you will destroy your check valve.

You're probably going to need a deeper hole than that. I don't know how deep it needs to be for a titan, but if you compress the pump fully and the end is flat, there is a good chance your check valve will become misaligned. If possible, increase the opening pressure of the OPRV and remove the plug material.
Please email me rather than sending a PM. I am DarthFreyr at gmail dot com

#8 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:22 AM

Lt. Stefan - I plan on reopening and checking the tank pin opening. If I find that it doesn't open as much with more pumps what should I do?

Someone may add to this, but I would say your tank is fucked if that happens.

#9 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:24 PM

So you've determined that air is actually staying in the tank after 9 pumps, and it's a matter of release, right? If so, I'm guessing the rubber seal is popping off the pin at the higher pressures. I think atomotron made a write-up on fixing that on pin style tanks without opening them.

#10 kwaneazy

kwaneazy

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:49 PM

Lt. Stefan - ... Then I hope that's not the case.

TantumBull - Cheers mate I'll try find his post. But you're right it is a matter of release and NOT actually holding the air. I think whatever I pump stays in the tank, but at higher pressures it doesn't release as it should.

Gonna break the beast open again today and hopefully make some progress.

Thanks for all the help guys.

#11 kwaneazy

kwaneazy

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:29 AM

Hi Everyone,

Again, apologies for the double post but I have made some progress in the problem.

I have discovered that the tank pin opens the same amount regardless of what pressure there is, but at higher pressures, the tank pin needs to travel further back to release all of the air.

For instance, if the trigger pulls the tank pin back 10mm to release the air normally, at higher pressures, the trigger needs to pull back 15mm to release all the air.

I have played around with adjusting the trigger to try produce more pull on the pin but there is only so much room I can mess around with.

There is obviously something going on inside the air tank but I am hesitant to open it up. Has anyone opened a titan tank before for repairs?

#12 polycarb

polycarb

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:38 PM

Hi Everyone,

Again, apologies for the double post but I have made some progress in the problem.

I have discovered that the tank pin opens the same amount regardless of what pressure there is, but at higher pressures, the tank pin needs to travel further back to release all of the air.

For instance, if the trigger pulls the tank pin back 10mm to release the air normally, at higher pressures, the trigger needs to pull back 15mm to release all the air.

I have played around with adjusting the trigger to try produce more pull on the pin but there is only so much room I can mess around with.

There is obviously something going on inside the air tank but I am hesitant to open it up. Has anyone opened a titan tank before for repairs?

Funny you say that. Just today, I cut a titan tank apart(IT WAS BROKEN). So if you have questions, I would be glad to answer.
On a side note about the titan tank, it has that strange check valve design somebody posted a little while back. What he showed was that it was on a SSPB.
The sealing head on the titan tank is flat, if that helps any.
The sealing part of the titan tank has a plastic cage around it, so good luck getting to it.

What you have found with the pin pulling distance, I have found with a MM. When I increased the pressure, it made a snuffed out noise, and got 30 ft. Once I lengthened the pin stroke, I got much better ranges.
Any questions, please PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users