Breeched...or Hoppered!

7 replies to this topic

#1 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:12 PM

When I went to my local Dick's Sporting Goods to get BB's for my new batch of darts, I went ahead and picked up a Camo Marshmallow blaster (there is also a silver "Executive" and a red and blue version). Supposedly, it sends giant marshmallows 40 ft. While I don't buy that claim, I will buy that it has more than decent air power for stefans!
Posted Image

The cool part is the breech-loading for the giant marshmallows; I wanted to keep that function. With the current supplies on hand, that also meant making my first brass breech!
Posted Image

To undo the front off the blaster, you can depress the two pegs on the slide. The front will come straight off.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now we take a section (I had a foot) of 9/16" brass, and mark it. 2 cm from the end, and then 1 3/8" long for the cut. Use your dremel, and have at it. Also make sure to deburr/polish smooth.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now, take your dremel and remove the air restrictor to open up the airflow. Put a 2cm section 19/32" brass on the small end of you 9/16". Put 2cm of Sch. 40 1/2" PVC around that. All 3 pieces should be superglued together. Now shove it as far into a 1/2" PVC coupler as possible. Finally, put lots of hot glue around the inside edge of the housing, and quickly place the barrel in the opened-up blaster. Note that no dart stop is needed; the housing for the spring-loaded slide pegs sits directly behind the coupler and prevents my darts (1-1/2" single bb stefans, for future reference) from sliding all the way back). You can seal up the remaining holes with a thin layer hot glue.
Posted Image

Superglue 9" of 19/32" brass into about 11" of said PVC, and wrap the end in duct tape. Due to the shaping of the front of the marshmallow blaster (a faux rifling of the plastic to spin the marshmallow), this is by far easier than carving out the front with a dremel.
Posted Image

Place this piece on the barrel, and shove as far back as possible. Then with everything in place and in the "locked" position, hot glue the shit out of the front to fuse the barrel cover and front piece together.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now you have a brand-new blaster to play with. Gets BBBB ranges, plus it has VERY quick pump strokes and a breech.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Technically, this costs twice as much as you need to pay for performance of this type (Got it for $20, as opposed to the mere $10 on a BBBB). But it's good, nonetheless.

Thoughts, questions, improvements?

Edited by Buffdaddy, 02 February 2011 - 09:28 PM.

#2 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:48 PM

Looks great, I haven't gotten around to modding my camo one yet but I noticed that the pump head stocks about two inches away from the end of the tube. Does yours do this?

#3 erich76

erich76

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:29 PM

Have you noticed that it has very short punp strokes? Is this normal or is mine a defect?

#4 Reagent X

Reagent X

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:34 PM

Pictures are gone.

#5 LoneNerfer

LoneNerfer

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:38 PM

Looks very nice and clean. I like the breach a lot to. What are the ranges?

#6 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:54 PM

Looks great, I haven't gotten around to modding my camo one yet but I noticed that the pump head stocks about two inches away from the end of the tube. Does yours do this?

Yeah, I've noticed that, too. Doesn't bother me too much, though.

Have you noticed that it has very short punp strokes? Is this normal or is mine a defect?

Define "short". Although by all means, this blaster seems to have a fairly lengthy pump stroke.

Supposedly, it sends giant marshmallows 40 ft. While I don't buy that claim, I will buy that it has more than decent air power for stefans!

Believe it.

I've verified it myself.

Remember: all box ranges are angled.

Haha, that is very true. But who around here uses angled ranges anyway?

Looks very nice and clean. I like the breach a lot to. What are the ranges?

Similar to a Buzz Bee Big Blast, it does 90-100 easy. I haven't opened the sucker up to see if pump plugging is possible for extending ranges. But I really don't feel like it; I want to actually try this at a war without it getting banned.

#7 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:07 PM

Update:

Turns out I couldn't get the superglue to hold the PVC and 19/32" brass of the barrel together; after 15 shots, the glue lost seal from the friction of using the breech, and the brass just slid back and forth. Obviously, that destroys the range numbers.

My solution? I made 3 slits on the underside of the PVC barrel, of decent area, stuck the brass in properly, then used 2-part epoxy on all 3 holes. Not too noticeable, and the epoxy holds a ton better. Now we're back up to previous performance.

#8 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

OMG! Necro!

Actually, since I did another variation today with a hopper, I figured this was the best place to put it, instead of making another thread. Keep in mind, there are several setups; you could just leave the front off, slap on the couple/wye, and finish. But I wanted to keep the thing together as much as possible, plus having two handles makes for better accuracy.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Here's your stock Marshmallow Blaster. Push the guide tabs for the breech in, and take the front half off. On the back half, dremel out the air restrictor.

Posted Image

Since there are no screws in the front (all solvent welded together), we have to instead extend the breech opening so that the wye can slide in. Slide it in the front. Stuff 1/2" PVC on the tank side of the wye, wrap in e-tape, then slide the whole thing back together at perpendicular angles. Secure with adhesive as needed.

Posted Image

You now have your blaster together, hopper ready. The pump handle can be turned to sit any way you want, so I turned it in a middle position. One handle going down for each hand, Hopper sitting off to the side so that I can still hold this to my shoulder and aim down the barrel.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users