Photo

Slightly Improving The Stock Nitefinder "targeter"

9 replies to this topic

#1 burntcustard

burntcustard

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:01 PM

This modification (I know, its below the complexity of what many would call a "mod") hopefully changes the stock nitefinder light/laser/target-thinger from being in the "completely useless" category into the "perhaps slightly useful on special occasions when its a bit dark and/or your inside" one.

Good thing about this is that its free and can be done in less than a minute, otherwise it might not be worth doing to be honest.

*DISCLAIMER* I used two mostly charged energizer lithium batteries and the LED hasn't broken even after holding it on for a minute, so it should be fine. HOWEVER, I am in no way responsible if this breaks your nitefinders LED (its crap anyway, so don't get too upset). ALSO it will use up the batteries a bit quicker.

Simply wrap a small piece of rolled up tin foil around the two legs of the resistor on the little circuit board like so:

Posted Image

This makes the LED considerably brighter, making it show up a bit better. Useful if your one of those people that likes to have a dot on the wall showing about where there dart will *probably* go.
~βμґηtçμştąґd~

#2 bourbon

bourbon

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

Neat, so you bypassed the resistor? Could you remove the resistor altogether and replace it with wire to achieve the same effect?

#3 burntcustard

burntcustard

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:51 PM

Could you remove the resistor altogether and replace it with wire to achieve the same effect?

Yes you could, but that would require soldering which most (I'm assuming most) people who nerf wouldn't have the tools and/or patience to do

If you're going to make engineering changes, you should probably do engineering testing.

Put in new batteries, and put a rubber band around the trigger tight enough to engage the switch.

My bet is that something melts, burns out, or possibly even CATCHES FIRE within maybe half an hour.

Very true, I should.

*10 minutes later*

Nothing broke after over five minutes of it staying on with new batteries. I doubt anyone will keep that thing on continuously for more than five minutes, so I thought it was pointless to waste my batteries and test it for longer.

Also an LED of this size/performance with such little power going through it is unlikely to melt badly, and certainly not going to catch fire. At worst it will warm up the plastic then pop and stop working.
~βμґηtçμştąґd~

#4 debandgeek12

debandgeek12

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:12 PM

While this mod might not be Nerfy enough for some, I love small engineering changes like this. Modification is definitely the key word in Nerf Modification. Also, I appreciate your good grammar and sppelling. Welcome, burntcustard.
It's time to pretend.

mysterio
the leaking was all in the bladder

Yay, the IRC.

#5 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:42 PM

Off Topic:

sppelling

I find that very funny, don't know if you did that on purpose or not.

#6 nate the great

nate the great

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:28 PM

Also, I appreciate your good grammar and sppelling.

added that hilarious quote to my signature, while playing with my butthole
PRI you are a fucking idiot.

2 slingshot weights is basically a steel bullet with a foam sabot
-Mr BadWrench

You have a tampon on your gun. There's your problem.
-Hi Yah!

Join the Revolution!

#7 debandgeek12

debandgeek12

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:00 PM

I was pretty sure I corrected that, but I do realize the humor there.
It's time to pretend.

mysterio
the leaking was all in the bladder

Yay, the IRC.

#8 Aj

Aj

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:48 PM

It's a 5mm LED, the vasy majority of these are rated at 3-4.5v. Given that 2 AA batteries are only supplying 3V of power it shouldn't need the resistor to avoid burnout.

If you want to seriously improve it wire up a couple more LEDs in parallel with the main one. Also insulated wire is usually a better thing to dirrect current with, rather than tin foil.

Aj

Edited by -Aj-, 18 March 2010 - 09:48 PM.

Foam Sports Australia - Founder

Check out my Youtube - Adelaide Nerf

#9 burntcustard

burntcustard

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:10 AM

If you want to seriously improve it wire up a couple more LEDs in parallel with the main one. Also insulated wire is usually a better thing to dirrect current with, rather than tin foil.

Extra LEDs wouldn't fit in the black tube leading to the lens piece at the front of the gun. Replacing the LED with a higher quality one might help though. And you are right, insulated wire is much better, but it is slightly trickier and takes longer (wires need stripping etc.) to get into the right place.
~βμґηtçμştąґd~

#10 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:20 AM

A while back for a contract I took a key chain laser pointer, a really nice one, and installed it in the spot where the light is. I hooked it up to the batteries and had a perfectly accurate laser sight that could be seen indoors over 100 feet away. I had it set up so at 40 feet the dot was exactly where the dart will hit.If you want a serious laser sight, I suggest doing that. Just don't shine it in peoples faces.

Edited by Banshee, 23 March 2010 - 11:21 AM.

Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users