Photo

How Do I Mod An 'orange Logo Nitefinder'?

I hate to be a t0tal n00bzorz here, but I've tried everything.

11 replies to this topic

#1 John

John

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:36 PM

I first want to say that, YES I SEARCHED THE FORUMS AND GOOGLE. Sorry to shout, btw. Well, I've just bought 2 Nitefinders and they're both the orange/black logo versions, and the ARs (and plunger tube, for that matter) are completely glued together. Now I know others have had this problem, but I haven't found any way around it. I'm wanting to do the following mods:
  • PETG Barrel
  • AR/restrictor peg removal
  • Extra O-ring
  • MAYBE a new spring
Without having to:
A) Use a dremel (I haven't got one), drill (unless I absolutely HAVE to), or
B) Make a new plunger tube
I hate to sound like a noob here, but the only mod I've done before is a stormfire O-ring mod. I also hate to make a new topic when it's not absolutely 100% needed, but this seems to fit that requirement.
So yeah, I've tried boiling water, and it almost melted the plastic. I tried acetone nail polish remover on my stormfire and it SERIOUSLY messed it up, and I've also tried an X-acto knife and the glue was just too thick, the seam too thin. I'm out of ideas, so anything (besides sawing the thing in half) is welcome. The reason I say I want to do this without a drill is because, like I said, I want to add a PETG barrel, which as far as I've seen, needs the AR 'container' to be opened up, which can't happen with the internals glued up, which brings me back to my original question.

Thanks for spending your time reading this post, and thanks in advance for any ideas you guys might have.
I haz a cheezburger wif 2 pickles an longcat's blessing. Oh yeah, and a side of awesumsaus.

#2 Broderick

Broderick

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:44 PM

One thing that I know people have tried, albeit a bit risky to do (being if you're under 18 you can't just go buy it), is to try Zippo Lighter fluid. Now, all of the things I have tried, you have as well so I wouldn't suggest them; However I know that people have used the lighter fluid to disintegrate the glue that seals the big black part on an RF20 to the shell. (I may need to use that in the next few days, actually, since I just picked one up haha)

#3 soccerbeast003

soccerbeast003

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:44 PM

There was already a thread about this. All you have to do is use pipe cutters.
Christine Everheart: You've been called the Da Vinci of our time. What do you say to that?

Tony Stark: Absolutely ridiculous. I don't paint.

#4 debandgeek12

debandgeek12

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:04 PM

If you're adding a PETG barrel, just saw off the stock barrel and add the PETG. To remove the ARs, drilling is pretty much the only option.
It's time to pretend.

mysterio
the leaking was all in the bladder

Yay, the IRC.

#5 wasdf

wasdf

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:13 PM

Well, some people just dip the entire plunger system into boiling water. That seems to get the glue to melt apart. AR removal without a drill/dremel is relatively easy. After melting the glue just take a screwdriver with a big ass tip and punch through the thing (AR) with a hammer. Rebarrelling is something I don't do normally so I can't help you there. Hope this helps.
For a battle cry you gotta scream out "Feel the awesome power of my balls!"
~Chadpuff

#6 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:16 PM

The easiest way is to hold it over a lit candle and rotate it until you can remove the AR assembly.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#7 jaybo1996

jaybo1996

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:29 PM

Same problem, use pipe cutters on the line behind the the AR's.
01:15 N9> The problem with nerfers: We're around plastic. Plastic contains estrogenic compounds, so we're more feminine than the rest of the world.

WTF, are you in Tony Stark's basement!?'

#8 Airsoftguy777

Airsoftguy777

Do not buy/sell with this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:52 PM

Hacksaw, enough said.
Nerf in Texas? Join us. <a href="http://texasnerf.lefora.com/" target="_blank">http://texasnerf.lefora.com/</a>

#9 John

John

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:39 PM

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll try the lighter fluid first, I also used a candle but it also melted the plastic, as did boiling water. If the lighter fluid doesn't work, I'll try the pipe cutters as a last resort if nothing else works.
To soccerbeast:
If there was, I didn't see it when I searched.

Well, actually I'll try all that tomorrow, as it is 9:30 and I don't happen to have any lighter fluid on me at this time of night.
I haz a cheezburger wif 2 pickles an longcat's blessing. Oh yeah, and a side of awesumsaus.

#10 Broderick

Broderick

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:37 PM

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll try the lighter fluid first, I also used a candle but it also melted the plastic, as did boiling water. If the lighter fluid doesn't work, I'll try the pipe cutters as a last resort if nothing else works.

If you are able to get pipe cutters, then you should not even try any of those other ideas.

^ This. I spaced the pipe cutters, to be honest since I was thinking mainly of the available tools I have at my disposal; those unfortunately do not include pipe cutters at the moment. I really need to buy a pair...
But yeah, make sure you get the pipe cutters at a place like Lowe's that look somewhat like a claw, and have a mini-pizza cutter looking thing on it. Do NOT get the ones that are like uh... scissor clamps, (best analogy I could think of) that you might use to get a clean cut on PVC. Those will just crush your plastic--- or brass, in my attempt.

#11 phillypretzel

phillypretzel

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:20 PM

If you are able to get pipe cutters, then you should not even try any of those other ideas.

Bob is absolutely right- DO NOT try ANY of those ideas, I'm willing to bet that anyone that suggested boiling water, candles (?!), lighter fluid, or nail polish remover has ever successfully used any of those methods. I've encountered this same situation recently several times, and I can tell you what I did that will actually work.

Score around the nf's plunger tube, at the second seam (the one closest to the barrel), with a sharp utility knife. This next next part takes some balls: just break the fucking thing. What will happen is a relatively clean break, that will expose the ar's (both of them). Remove them however you see fit, and then use JB Weld plastic epoxy to reattach the front section to the plunger tube. The bond created by the epoxy will actually be stronger than the original plastic. I also made a bead of silicone sealant around the glue joint, then wrapped it with e-tape, just to insure that it's perfectly air tight (though I admit this last step is probably unnecessary, but it made me feel better). This is not a hypothetical solution, or hearsay, I've done this twice over the last couple months, and both nf's had their springs replaced, and both are performing flawlessly. I hope you find this helpful. Now quit whining, and mod something :wacko:.

Edited by phillypretzel, 25 March 2010 - 11:30 PM.

#12 stuper bunny

stuper bunny

• Banned
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:50 PM

My personal preferred method is just drilling the bastards out. No cutting or melting anything, just a half inch drill bit and a vice. Use high speed (85-90%) to snap the stem, then keep the drill at about 25-30% speed and apply pressure. I've found that if you use high speed the bit will just spin rather than make a hole in the AR. I've used this on my NF, Recon, and Raider.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users