Photo

Lab Redesign Contest

37 replies to this topic

#26 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:48 AM

Well thats odd, Considering It is 11:48 EST... You must be confused with the EDT and EST difference.

http://www.timeandda...nes/na/edt.html

I stand corrected.

Edited by k9turrent, 30 April 2010 - 02:15 PM.

QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#27 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:06 PM

As such, the deadline for submissions will be 12:00 PM (NOON) Eastern time on April 30th, 2010.

You must be confused. I never said standard or daylight, and it's obviously insulting for you to tell me that I'm confused when you're the one who is mistaken. If you want to reply to this at all, either PM me or shove it up your ass.

Edited by Split, 30 April 2010 - 01:12 PM.

Teehee.

#28 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:33 PM

After careful consideration, I have chosen a winner. Congratulations to DarthFreyr for winning the Lab Redesign Contest with his +bow-integrated LAB variation.

Some quick comments for each of the entries with regards to my decision:
Coal Ten's Dual Lab: I've never been a fan of wooden-body blasters, but I tried my best to be objective and look at your entry as it was. It's a great concept, and to my knowledge, the first side-by-side double springer homemade (if that doesn't qualify it too much, haha). For that, you did very well in innovation. There seem to be a few problems you tried to address. In particular, the comfort of your lever and structural strength of your gun. It appears that you wrapped the lever in electrical tape, and zip-tied the plunger tubes to the shell. Those aren't particularly good methods, so you suffered a bit in problem solving. Design quality was a similar story; your bushings come out of the front uneven, some of the cuts are pretty rough and entire sections of the body are mismatched lengths for a symmetrical design.
Overall, it does meet the goal and can be reproduced, but I think there are some areas that could have been improved a good bit. As for customizing it by zip tieing stuff to it, I'm going to pretend you didn't say that. :)

Louiec3's down-scaled LAB: This is one good looking homemade. Unfortunately, that doesn't affect your score, aside from a small bonus to design quality. I watched your video of the gun quite a few times, seeing if I could pick up on anything in there. You did make a very smooth action with the new type of lever, which got massive props in innovation and problem solving. I did understand your point about the plunger rod keeping a bit straight, but I think that using a square rod here would have still been a better design, showing that you can anticipate potential issues like that. From the video, and I didn't judge too heavily on this, it looks like your plunger doesn't move all the way forward; that affected your design quality score slightly. The new trigger was also a huge plus, somewhat (but not nearly entirely) counteracted by the age-old handle design.
Overall, you churned out a good homemade, with some very cool new solutions that were both new and productive to the world of homemades. I had a hard time picking a winner between yours and Freyr's, right until I reread the main goal of the project. You did seem to fall a good bit short on customizability. Even the new handle has those specific spots for the trigger which would make it harder to replace even a less essential part. By making the body smaller (not necessarily a bad call), you also made it trickeer to add a stock or integration brackets.

Darth Freyr's +bow-integrated LAB:
This thing just seems to embody the spirit of the contest. The design quality was very good aside from the spacing for integrating it and the slight angle of the plunger tube. I also had to detract a bit for needing a second catch notch. Overall, the cuts are all really nice, corners rounded and it really only gets better from there. As far as problem solving goes, he came up with a new trigger (at least for homemades, this is the first gun with slam fire), and a very simple way to customize it - utilizing the standard +bow rail. I loved how innovative a lot of parts were. The two-material, layered lever adds width and strength and allows the lever to go on the sides of the plunger rod, like in louie's. The trigger falls into this category again as well. As far as the goal goes, it's a simplistic design that can use the +bow rail and clevis pins or screws to put on what you need securely.

Thanks to everyone who entered (or tried)!
Teehee.

#29 louiec3

louiec3

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:38 PM

Congratulations Darth Freyr. To be honest, I liked yours more than mine. I'm glad you won.

#30 Coal Ten

Coal Ten

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:57 PM

Congrats Darth Freyr. Although, I can't say I like your design better than mine, simply because I love the feeling of nice hard wood between my fingers. Seriously, both of your designs are great.

#31 Zachfrog

Zachfrog

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:19 PM

Congrats Darth Freyr. Although, I can't say I like your design better than mine, simply because I love the feeling of nice hard wood between my fingers. Seriously, both of your designs are great.

Someone's gonna sig that eventually...
QUOTE(Lion @ Jun 11 2010, 03:19 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 11 2010, 04:44 PM) View Post

They didn't have monitors in 1920.

They did, They just called them Windows back then though.

#32 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:08 AM

Fuck, really?!? I better make a note; this is some historicaly significant shit right here.

"On this day, in the year of our lord two thousand and ten, Nerfhaven member Coal Ten made a purposefully masturbatory euphemistic comment. This would potentially lay the groundwork for the earth-shatteringly unoriginal future signatures of two to three sub-competent lurking members. It has been said that intelligent contributors could be heard wailing, as in great pain, the forums over."
~ The Prophet Zachfrog

#33 LotusNerf

LotusNerf

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:30 PM

Now you made me look like an ass. Thanks bro.

#34 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:07 PM

Now you made me look like an ass. Thanks bro.

"And lo, the great prophecy came to pass, with LotusNerf labeled as a mule's hindquarters evermore. Grand was the rejoicing of the moderators, while circling the hapless nerfer as would a murder of crows, or flock of seagulls. Terrible were his cries as they violated his virtual persona, silencing his expression of thought through the ether."
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#35 laxtk88

laxtk88

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:46 PM

Fuck, really?!? I better make a note; this is some historicaly significant shit right here.

"On this day, in the year of our lord two thousand and ten, Nerfhaven member Coal Ten made a purposefully masturbatory euphemistic comment. This would potentially lay the groundwork for the earth-shatteringly unoriginal future signatures of two to three sub-competent lurking members. It has been said that intelligent contributors could be heard wailing, as in great pain, the forums over."
~ The Prophet Zachfrog

"And lo, the great prophecy came to pass, with LotusNerf labeled as a mule's hindquarters evermore. Grand was the rejoicing of the moderators, while circling the hapless nerfer as would a murder of crows, or flock of seagulls. Terrible were his cries as they violated his virtual persona, silencing his expression of thought through the ether."

It's times like this that I wish I could fit an entire thread into my signature.

Edited by laxtk88, 05 May 2010 - 04:47 PM.

QUOTE(Sleebo @ Jun 12 2008, 07:23 PM) View Post

Just for the record, my mother is the most beautiful women in the world.

#36 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:19 PM

It's times like this that I wish I could fit an entire thread into my signature.

So sigged.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#37 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:23 PM

Dude split, you should do another one of these competitions because I want to build one now man.
Southeast Nerf Contingent

#38 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:29 PM

Dude split, you should do another one of these competitions because I want to build one now man.

Psh... I don't know man... You don't have the best track record... ;)
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users