Pistol Longshot

8 replies to this topic

#1 OffSet43

OffSet43

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:07 PM

Welcome to my first post. Ever.

I recently took part in a local HvZ, and noticed a lot of people trying to use a Longshot in a pistol fashion. I wondered if there was a way to make it easier to cock while using this style, like a Maverick or Recon. The answer was yes. Using a play on a shotgun grip, I created a Maverick-style cocking mechanism on the top of the rear where the shoulder stock should go. But enough words, pic time:
Posted Image
This is it on my Longshot;

Posted Image
And off.

Making one is simple, and is a matter of using whatever materials you have. Mine is made of brass and aluminum. Following are those instructions.

Materials:
2x Brass strip, 1/16" x3/4" x 7.5"
1x Aluminum sheet, .064" x4" x10"
1x Threaded rod
2x Nuts to match rod
1x Epoxy putty

Tools:
Power drill
Files
Bolt cutters
Hacksaw
Rubber mallet

This guide is pretty vague, but the idea remains for whatever you have around. The paint plans should be enough to get you through this with a little thought.

Start with your brass strips; tape them together tightly. File the sharp corners off all around.
Drill a 3/16" hole in one end about 1/4" from the end, in the middle.
Next, measure out your aluminum so that it will not be forward of the red line, here:
Posted Image

Now, on the aluminum, measure 3" up, draw a line across. Put another line 2 1/2" up from that, and then a final line 3" from that. Use the hacksaw (or whatever you have) to cut the last line, leaving a sheet of aluminum 0.064" x4" x8.5". Place the middle on a block of lumber and hammer it into a squared-U shape.

Now, use the epoxy putty (my favorite, sets in 5 minutes, full strength in 45. about $5.99), and slap it all together. You may be tempted, (if you have the equipment) to weld/braze these together instead. I used an oxy-mapp torch and tried to braze these; it WILL NOT WORK. Possibly if you can do all aluminum you'll be alright, but DO NOT heat brass up like that, it loses a LOT of strength. See diagram nao:

Posted Image

Use some Gorilla or E-tape on the top to make it easier to hold on to.
Last, screw one bolt onto the rod, slide it where the original bolt goes, and lock it on with the other bolt. Take your Longshot bolt into the hardware store with you to make sure it's the right sizes. If your hardware store already knows you, you can take in the whole Longshot and check that way.

Overall, this mod is pretty useless, but pretty fun to play with, and totally removable.

P.S. Love the forums, and as you can see, I've got a nice frontgun mod there.

Edited by OffSet43, 15 March 2010 - 03:03 AM.

I'm a painter, I'm a lover, I'm a nerfer, and I'm a gamer, I make people subs for paaaaaayyyyy

#2 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:14 PM

It's a nice mod and all, but that priming method would be very uncomfortable, in my opinion. I'm fine with the standard bolt, but if your looking for more comfort, do Slug's foregrip mod. This just seems to make it worse. What do you think on comfort?
My YouTube

Solved the Rubik's Cube in 46 seconds

"Nobody understands quantum mechanics" - Richard Feynman

#3 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:22 PM

This could be improved to be less awkward, but I like the concept because it give equal tension on both sides of the sled.

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#4 OffSet43

OffSet43

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:00 AM

It's a nice mod and all, but that priming method would be very uncomfortable, in my opinion. I'm fine with the standard bolt, but if your looking for more comfort, do Slug's foregrip mod. This just seems to make it worse. What do you think on comfort?

Y'know, I thought It'd be really awkward, but it actually isn't so bad. Plus, the way it's set up, everything so close to the parts, it seems like the pull is lighter than a shotgun grip (my shotgun is made in the exact same manner, so I have good comparison.)
I'm a painter, I'm a lover, I'm a nerfer, and I'm a gamer, I make people subs for paaaaaayyyyy

#5 LotusNerf

LotusNerf

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:47 PM

Two questions,

Can the original stock be put back on without interfering with the priming mechanism?

If not, doesn't priming handle move back too far into the back of the gun?

-Lotus

#6 OffSet43

OffSet43

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:00 AM

Two questions,

Can the original stock be put back on without interfering with the priming mechanism?

If not, doesn't priming handle move back too far into the back of the gun?

-Lotus

Mine does, however, you could probably build one that would not. I dont have my LS handy, so I cant do the measurements right now.

#7 RazorGolem

RazorGolem

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:23 PM

I think this mod (relocating of the priming motion to the rear) would work well with the LongStrike.

#8 billyblue888

billyblue888

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:53 PM

I think this would only be worthwhile on a minimized LS, but cool anyways.

#9 OffSet43

OffSet43

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:01 AM

I think this would only be worthwhile on a minimized LS, but cool anyways.

That's pretty much what I had in mind for this. But I'm not about to chop off the majority of my only working LS after getting it frontgunned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users