Photo

Tech Target Internal Replacement

I'm not sure if I'm the first, but here it is!

20 replies to this topic

#1 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:03 PM

Hello Haven, It's been a while since I showed any of my work, but I thought this was worth my two minutes. Basically I got a tech target and the plunger tube was brittle and it broke. This prompted this modification which increases the air output dramatically.

Posted Image

It's quite obvious as to most of you what I've done, but I'll explain it for you anyways. I did what a lot of people are doing lately to their nite finders, which is replace the plunger tube with 1" PETG. I then swapped the plunger head from a nite finder and everything literally went into place. The only area that needed any cutting was the flange under where the coupler is now and this took like 2 minutes with a pair of pliers. Then I put some e-tape on the plunger so it wont move. This mod increased my draw, my air output, and I replaced the spring with a longer and stronger one. This whole mod took me less than an hour and its made this gun a whole lot better, I'm getting 70 feet no problem, and it kicks the crap out of a night finder with a stock plunger.

So, thoughts, comments, questions?

And by the way, if no one has a problem with it, I'd like to mention that this gun is currently on eBay along with many other guns I have!
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#2 plubby

plubby

• Banned
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:21 PM

Very nice. I love the idea.
So this could actually boost ranges by just replacing the plunger tube?
Wow! Where have I been? *Cough *ModernWarfare2* Cough*

Edited by plubby, 08 March 2010 - 08:22 PM.

Nobody likes you.

#3 FatNerfer

FatNerfer

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:38 PM

Holy shit, I am so doing this.
QUOTE(SchizophrenicMC @ Feb 8 2010, 08:57 AM) View Post
Because calling a nerfer a nerd is like calling water wet.

QUOTE(PunkPictures @ Oct 9 2009, 05:26 PM) View Post
nerfhaven is so fucking gay.

#4 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:46 PM

Sweet, nice. I love 1" PETG. I have so much of it.
My YouTube

Solved the Rubik's Cube in 46 seconds

"Nobody understands quantum mechanics" - Richard Feynman

#5 Broderick

Broderick

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:58 PM

I'm guessing this is for the new one? And you didn't have to do any sanding / dremeling at all? Wow. I've got a new version and an old version, both stock, so I think I might take a walk over to PetSmart and see if they have any of this stuff.

#6 catmods

catmods

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:04 PM

Please come to the war with this thing, I want to see it in person.
"Don't worry I'll just close it. Your gun sucks." - Talio

#7 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:19 PM

I would man, but It's on eBay and it already has a bid, so there's no going back now. You can bid on it if you'd like. But if I get my hands on another I'd totally going to do this mod again. By the way, how many people battle around where you are? I only have 5 or so around the Chandler/Gilbert area.

#8 catmods

catmods

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

I would man, but It's on eBay and it already has a bid, so there's no going back now. You can bid on it if you'd like. But if I get my hands on another I'd totally going to do this mod again. By the way, how many people battle around where you are? I only have 5 or so around the Chandler/Gilbert area.

about 10 cosistently, including my self. I'm putting out flyers for the war, getting some people from civil air patrol, with any luck there might be 30 people. Which petco (and aisle) did you get the petg from, my friend has two ttg's, and I might have to do this before the war. He might leave at 1 pm though. Do you want me to pm you the location where we would meet?
"Don't worry I'll just close it. Your gun sucks." - Talio

#9 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:32 PM

Great mod. My friend (BustaDartInYOurAss) did the same thing to his NF. I put it in a diskshot, and it's getting great results. :)

#10 ficksterkid

ficksterkid

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:54 PM

Very cool. My tech target isn't hitting the ranges I would like it to so it looks like I have a new project.
Thanks,
-ficksterkid

#11 moosa

moosa

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:12 PM

So did you get the 1" PETG at Petco then? And that fits a NF plunger perfectly?
Also, what's your barrel length?

Edited by moosa, 08 March 2010 - 11:13 PM.

Yes.

#12 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:21 PM

I beat you to it, but good job anyway. 1" PETG has a slightly larger diameter than the PVC I used, but it's far more expensive, and I found the PVC to be a better option for other reasons. I don't mean to say that PETG is not a viable option, though. I've used both 1" PETG and 3/4" Thinwall PVC a fair amount, good stuff.

Edited by venom213, 08 March 2010 - 11:23 PM.

#13 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:07 AM

I beat you to it, but good job anyway. 1" PETG has a slightly larger diameter than the PVC I used, but it's far more expensive, and I found the PVC to be a better option for other reasons. I don't mean to say that PETG is not a viable option, though. I've used both 1" PETG and 3/4" Thinwall PVC a fair amount, good stuff.

Yeah, but look at the work you put into yours versus mine. My plunger tube fits right in with minimal cutting, where as you reconstructed the gun, so they aren't quite that similar, but to each their own. Mine is for lazy people. Haha. To answer peoples questions, yes it is the 1" PETG thinwall from PetSmart, not Petco, and I got it in the fish tank isle because its used for filters and stuff, so its with that. It does fit the NF head perfectly as discussed in many other threads, but you will need to lube it up. And my barrel length is about 4 inches. I just used a random scrap piece, so I'm not sure which is best.

#14 moosa

moosa

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:29 PM

Try a longer barrel... I'm sure we'd all like to see what kind of ranges you can get. :)
Yes.

#15 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:00 PM

3/4" CPVC fits the shell, and fits the plunger head directly.
3/4" Copper fits the shell and is just enough bigger on the inside to provide some real volume increase. Good job, though. I have a couple of these already disassembled waiting to do this with, but other things always come first.

Edited by Draconis, 10 March 2010 - 05:57 PM.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#16 moosa

moosa

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:13 PM

Do you mean to say that those materials fit the Tech Target plunger? But this 1" PETG would still provide more air volume, right?
Yes.

#17 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:29 AM

Is this question for Draconis or me? You should quote it.

#18 moosa

moosa

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:09 AM

Sorry, I try to avoid quoting people's posts if I'm posting directly after them. I guess it didn't help that it started a new page. Oh well.
Here's what I was referring to:

3/4" Copper fits the shell and is just enough bigger on the inside to provide some real volume increase. Good job, though. I have a couple of these already disassembled witing to do this with, but other things always come first.

Yes.

#19 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:28 PM

Sorry, I try to avoid quoting people's posts if I'm posting directly after them. I guess it didn't help that it started a new page. Oh well.
Here's what I was referring to:

3/4" Copper fits the shell and is just enough bigger on the inside to provide some real volume increase. Good job, though. I have a couple of these already disassembled waiting to do this with, but other things always come first.

Just like it says. Both the copper and CPVC have the same OD. The CPVC fits the plunger head, the copper has a larger ID, and would be better suited for adding volume.

Edited by Draconis, 10 March 2010 - 05:57 PM.

#20 moosa

moosa

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:16 PM

Right, but his mod has a NF plunger head. Are they the same size? I've never modified a Tech Target, but I figured he must have changed the plungers for a reason. So I'm assuming that the 1" PETG has a larger ID than either of those two materials, and would therefore provide more air volume. Is that correct?

Edited by moosa, 10 March 2010 - 05:17 PM.

Yes.

#21 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:41 PM

Right, but his mod has a NF plunger head. Are they the same size? I've never modified a Tech Target, but I figured he must have changed the plungers for a reason. So I'm assuming that the 1" PETG has a larger ID than either of those two materials, and would therefore provide more air volume. Is that correct?

Possibly slightly. The problem with PETG is that it can stretch and deform under heavy stress. Mainly because it is quite thin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users