Campus Nerf

Does Anyone else play on campus?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Kolath

Kolath

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 04:06 PM

A bunch of people at my school have been nerfing about every other week for the past year or so. And recently the cops came by and told us we had to stop because nerf guns are "fascimile weapons." So some people are working on getting official permission to nerf on campus. So my question is this: Does anyone else play on college campuses or have a nerfing club on campus? If we can find examples of other school allowing it, it might help our case. Thanks!

#2 Formerly Sane

Formerly Sane

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 04:29 PM

Aren't fascimile weapons "look alikes"? I would have a hard time confusing any nerf gun with a real weapon.
NERF: www.CYCLONENERF.netfirms.com
FLASH: www.thinkhappy.netfirms.com
BAND: www.skwalrock.com

#3 sporkboyofjustice

sporkboyofjustice

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 04:51 PM

There are certain accepted colors of toy guns that are used to help police identify toy guns. At bare minimum a gun should have an orange tip on the barrel; other colors are green, blue and yellow. If you paint your guns flat black then you might be in trouble. You might be proactive about it and contact your local police station and let them know that you have an organized activity on a certain day. A call to your campus security station should help straighten out what you can and can not do.

If you are confronted by police please be respectful and move slowly, cops can get jumpy when they think you have a gun.

#4 reversedracula

reversedracula

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 05:03 PM

I sort of half run these games that our dear threadstarter has spoken of. I'm trying to deterline if he's the offical person in charge of these games looking for suggestions, or just someone who plays in them looking for information. If you are not in fact the person offically in charge of our games, let me assure you I am in close contact with him and we will be dealing with the administration and are meeting to discuss said issue tonight; if you're on the listserv, you should know already. Our hope is to reconcile some sort of permit with the administration and work in closer contact with the police. I will keep you updated as to the result. We're working night and day to sustain our 30+ gamers that we've come to know and love.
NERF OR NOTHIGN!11!eleven!!!one!!!one!11!!!!onhoundredandeleven!!!!!

#5 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:52 PM

I spent most of my undergraduate years at UW Madsion in a student organization that larped and we used nerf guns all the time. We did have a few run-ins with the police but since we were an offical student group and explained what we were up to everything was ok. One of the things we usually did was call the police every week so they were on notice of where we would be and when. This really helped to make things go smoothly.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#6 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 03:33 PM

Next year, with some luck and a prayer, Hersh and myself might be organizing a huge college based group. Oodles of geeks with foam guns.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#7 reversedracula

reversedracula

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 03:35 PM

If anyone lives at all near southeastern VA, you're welcome to come play with us. We have about three dozen on average every week, and play from about 9PM to 3AM (which is awesome).

#8 Guest_LonE_FoX_*

Guest_LonE_FoX_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:25 PM

hey reverse i may go down to VA for a few weeks during the summer, will you guys still be having wars or will you all be home

#9 reversedracula

reversedracula

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 11:13 PM

We'll mostly be home. Some people may be here over the summer, not sure. They'd be people more likely who live here than just go to school here. I'm hoping to meet up with more nerfers over the summer in South Jersey... We'll see. We'll definitely be playing next year starting in late August and going until May likley. We play the full ACADEMIC year, sadly, not much in summer, we'd not be able to organize a dozen people, but I could connect you to people to meet possibly... in short, mostly everyone will be gone, including me. Sorry.

#10 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 06:45 AM

I heard about that reversedracula, even though I wasn't there (That was actually probably a good thing). "Fascimile weapons," eh? The only ones that even look like that are mine, but those are banned now - and last time I checked most Nerf blasters weren't black and chrome with iron sights. That's bogus, and I hope you get it all sorted out.

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#11 reversedracula

reversedracula

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 12:53 PM

Thanks, I'll keep you updated, of course. If you weren't there becuase... er, if you really are hurting for a gun that fires stock darts, (if you don't consider that denegration from Stefans) we've got many you can borrow if you. are still interested in playing. If that's not why you were abscent, then nevermind, hehe.

#12 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 03:14 PM

Yea Drac, you're definitely going to have to to come to Apoc 2004.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#13 reversedracula

reversedracula

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 03:51 PM

Sure thing, Evil. Just keep me informed here or on AIM or something.

#14 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 05:39 PM

Sure thing, Evil. Just keep me informed here or on AIM or something.

I smell a road trip...

No, seriously, I do.

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#15 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 06:22 PM

Regular bathing should fix that.

VACC

0 user(s) are reading this topic