I'm in search of a nice combo/ size of spring for my Longshot

12 replies to this topic

#1 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:46 PM

Hello,

I have opened up my Longshot and drilled (dremeled) out the air restrictors, and it works very nicely!
However, when it comes to springs i am unsure of what would be the best spring to get a nice combination of durability and performance. So basically what i am asking is, what size/combination of stock springs will give me good distances, without destroying my gun. Thanks in advance for the advice!

--SJAR4126 :(
On the side of every nerf gun is "do not modify the blaster or darts in any way". (insert number of nerfhaven members here) aren't listening

#2 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:04 PM

I use a silver Longshot, Recon, and Nitefinder combo.

To start with just add on a Recon and if you have no problems with priming move onto a Nitefinder.

I have this 3 spring convo, and have for almost a year, and I'm not even seeing stress signs on any parts of the gun.
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#3 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:18 PM

When you add springs to your ls make sure to reinforce the boltsled. I have a red bbb spring added to mine and it's great.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#4 polycarb

polycarb

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:27 PM

My LS is singled, and I have a cut down [k25], silver ls spring, and NF spring on the plunger rod. It's awfully difficult to prime. I DO NOT recommend using these springs with a boltsled.

#5 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts
  • State:California

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:42 PM

My absolute favorite Longshot combo is a Big Bad Bow along with a cutdown arrowstorm. I have an angel breech, so I reinforced the bolt sled with bent 3/32 brass.
My YouTube

Solved the Rubik's Cube in 46 seconds

"Nobody understands quantum mechanics" - Richard Feynman

#6 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:45 PM

Could it handle both a stock LS and a stock BBB or would that be too much for it??
On the side of every nerf gun is "do not modify the blaster or darts in any way". (insert number of nerfhaven members here) aren't listening

#7 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:47 PM

Could it handle both a stock LS and a stock BBB or would that be too much for it??

I think you would still want a little bit of reinforcement for that.
My YouTube

#8 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:57 PM

[quote name='HOTH' date='Mar 7 2010, 02:47 PM' post='268372']
[/quote]I think you would still want a little bit of reinforcement for that.[/quote]

how would you recommend reinforcing it?

#9 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Oregon
  • u/Parabolictoys on Reddit

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:43 PM

The common methods are:

Add epoxy putty in to the voids in the castings on the sides of the sled. Particularly in the corners.

Add on sections of metal strip or sheet and epoxy them in place.

Add in carbon fiber or fiberglass with epoxy resin.

I have been told that there is a group in Singapore working on aluminum reproductions of the bolt sled, though they may be a way off. There is also a LOT of work involved in machining them, though casting may be easier. It dependsupon what they can do, I guess. But regardless, they are likely to be rather expensive.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#10 Zinv

Zinv

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:38 PM

Hi,

Lurker reporting. I do not post often here but after what Draconis posted in the previous reply, I got to add in some information about the aluminum bolt sled of the longshot. (Out of topic for this reply. Sorry Moderators)

Yes, there is a lot of work involved in machining them but with some of the difficulties such as the cost (The cost of a mould for a simple casting will cost more than five hundred dollars. It does not include the raw material cost as well as the craftsmanship cost. The cost of making the mould will likely cost more as the design of bolt sled is complex) and the allowance of the diemension. (Machining or CNC milling will be more accuracy than making it from moulding). Thus preventing issues encountered when fitting in the boltsled into the longshot shell.

Now onto the cost, the aluminum bolt sleds will cost around SGD $80 - $90 for one. I will have one prototype out in the coming week and will try to troubleshoot all the problems occured in the boltsled before I decide to hold a Mass Order for the Bolt sled.

Cheers
Zinv

Edited by Zinv, 07 March 2010 - 08:40 PM.

#11 CA13

CA13

Nude Nerfer

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:18 PM

Why use a Longshot?
Doing this as I speak. I have no idea when I got it...my DAD got it some 15 years ago, but that doesn't matter. Anyways, it keeps jerking around all over the place. I try to hold it with a rag...It doesn't look like...much.

#12 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:54 PM

[quote name='Spencer' date='Mar 7 2010, 02:57 PM' post='268375']
[quote name='HOTH' date='Mar 7 2010, 02:47 PM' post='268372']
[/quote]I think you would still want a little bit of reinforcement for that.[/quote]

how would you recommend reinforcing it?
[/quote]
My favorite way is TantumBull's method, using a coat hanger wire. Check the Modifications Directory.
My YouTube

#13 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:49 PM

Thanks guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users