Photo

N-strike Magazines

13 replies to this topic

#1 Hubb

Hubb

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:05 AM

For those of you who have used these magazines, the problem I am about to discuss will relate to you. As the magazine is loaded, the force on the darts it get heavier and heavier. The mags are made to hold 6 rounds, but you might be able to squeeze in one more. As the magazine is loaded, though, it forces the follower to push directly in the center of the dart, which is often the result of jams if the dart is not perfectly straight.

Magazine mods that I've seen (that combine two mags into one) are nice, but still present the same problem, and will do so more in depth than the original mag.

Here's my thoughts:
Boltsniper used a constant force spring in his mags for the beautiful works he did. Now, by replacing the stock mag spring with a constant force spring of the right tension, each dart will have the same amount of force applied to it, which will cut down on jamming. But the added advantage is that these springs tend to compress just a little bit further, meaning that the magazine will comfortable hold more rounds instead of the standard 6. I'm estimating at least two extra rounds per mag.

Of course, the mag mod will require a longer spring, but it might net the addition of 5 or more extra darts with the same tension.

I'm gonna work on this over the weekend since I have three magazines for my Recon. If I fail, I'm not at a total loss. I will post in this topic when it is complete, along with a how-to if it is successful.

In the mean time, why don't you guys share your thoughts on doing this with the mags...
Blink, and darkness will be the last thing you see.

#2 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

In the mean time, why don't you guys share your thoughts on doing this with the mags...

Which we already have at length in the past.
Making springs is difficult and finding that type of spring that will also fit inside the N-Strike magazines is near impossible.

Frankly it's not really worth the effort in my mind because I find magazines to be awkward to reload and carry. Also there's really no need to work so hard on this when a drum mag is now available.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 05 March 2010 - 11:20 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#3 Airsoftguy777

Airsoftguy777

Do not buy/sell with this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:57 AM

For those of you who have used these magazines, the problem I am about to discuss will relate to you. As the magazine is loaded, the force on the darts it get heavier and heavier. The mags are made to hold 6 rounds, but you might be able to squeeze in one more. As the magazine is loaded, though, it forces the follower to push directly in the center of the dart, which is often the result of jams if the dart is not perfectly straight.

Magazine mods that I've seen (that combine two mags into one) are nice, but still present the same problem, and will do so more in depth than the original mag.

Here's my thoughts:
Boltsniper used a constant force spring in his mags for the beautiful works he did. Now, by replacing the stock mag spring with a constant force spring of the right tension, each dart will have the same amount of force applied to it, which will cut down on jamming. But the added advantage is that these springs tend to compress just a little bit further, meaning that the magazine will comfortable hold more rounds instead of the standard 6. I'm estimating at least two extra rounds per mag.

Of course, the mag mod will require a longer spring, but it might net the addition of 5 or more extra darts with the same tension.

I'm gonna work on this over the weekend since I have three magazines for my Recon. If I fail, I'm not at a total loss. I will post in this topic when it is complete, along with a how-to if it is successful.

Try a spiral notebook spring.
Nerf in Texas? Join us. <a href="http://texasnerf.lefora.com/" target="_blank">http://texasnerf.lefora.com/</a>

#4 Hubb

Hubb

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:25 PM

Which we already have at length in the past.
Making springs is difficult and finding that type of spring that will also fit inside the N-Strike magazines is near impossible.

Frankly it's not really worth the effort in my mind because I find magazines to be awkward to reload and carry. Also there's really no need to work so hard on this when a drum mag is now available.

Can you provide me with links where this was discussed? I couldn't find any.

A lot of auto parts stores sell these types of springs. As far as making them, these are a little bit easier to do than standard coil springs.

Drum mags vs box mags - Matters of opinion. I personally like the box mags better simply because they are easier to carry and (to me) look better on the blaster without throwing off the weight.

Try a spiral notebook spring.

That is a coil spring, right? Those are what I'm trying to avoid.

#5 PerlAddict

PerlAddict

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:32 PM

Nothing's impossible. :) The worth of any effort can only be determined by the person exerting it, ultimately. I, for one, am very interested. Clip system guns are what got me back into Nerf. My last Nerf gun before the N-strike lineup was a Light Storm 2, and I bought that one solely because of its clip-loading (not to mention the glow-in-the-dark darts were a blast back in our college-house days).

Drum mags are awesome for capacity, but they are often the less desirable option for me, as they are 1) all but impossible to find at anything close to a reasonable price to without buying a complete Raider, and 2) much bigger than I want to put on some of my guns where I only want a standard or double-clip. I'm also more of a form over function type of person, since we mostly Nerf around the house and yard. We buy most of our guns for looks and the fun of getting to reload the clips in a more realistic manner, since we're not going more than 20 feet before we hit a wall anyway. I don't necessarily want big drums hanging off everything. Even in standard stock clips, I'd love not having the first dart in the mag keep getting deformed, since I'm using Streamlines.

Looking forward to seeing your trials and progress, OP.

#6 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:03 PM

Spiral notebooks aren't springs. They are coiled wire... There is no tension.

#7 moosa

moosa

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:40 PM

Looking forward to your results... Until then, I don't know what we can say.
Yes.

#8 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:48 AM

This could be neat if it works, but I think there would only be space to fit 1 extra.

The worst part with the clips is that I have several and the strength of their springs varies a lot, and one has a really strong spring that tends to squash darts if it's left loaded. My original longshot and recon clips are great because the springs have been worn and they don't put unnecessary force on the darts.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#9 Hubb

Hubb

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:10 PM

Found the spring:
http://www.mcmaster....9293k42/=63u07z

This particular one will stretch up to 15", but I will probably trim it so that I can load as many darts into the magazine as possible. I will have to get one a check it out before I know just how much needs to be trimmed. It has about 1/2 pound of force, which is around the tension of the current springs.

I'm also working with the magazine to possibly make it a double stack version without having to use two magazines for just one. This is gonna be tedious this will require me to use other materials such as plexiglass and also to modify my receiver. I will also have to modify the stock, as I rather like the idea of storing a spare mag in it, but I would estimate, with the new spring, that I should be able to get about 15 rounds per mag.

My Recon is also going through a complete change in that I will be converting it to pneumatic operation and have it semi auto, so these new mags will be just the thing for it.

#10 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:45 AM

Found the spring:
http://www.mcmaster....9293k42/=63u07z

That is no the right kind of spring for your application. That's the kind of spring used to retract the tape in a tape measure.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#11 Hubb

Hubb

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:25 PM

It's a constant force spring. When the end is pulled, the tension wants it to return. By hooking the end portion to the top of the magazine and having the coiled portion under the follower, it will allow the follower to push down (and unwind the spring) in a constant force throughout the travel. As the magazine is unloaded, the coil will wind back up, causing the follower to rise.

How is it the wrong type of spring? It's just like the one Boltsniper described in his FAR.

Edited by Hubb, 08 March 2010 - 01:26 PM.

#12 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:09 PM

It's just like the one Boltsniper described in his FAR.

No, no it's not.
The spring you have provided the part number for is a constant rate coil spring. It resists being unrolled and provides a constant rate of resistance to that action. They are used in tape measures and watches.

You are confusing "constant rate" which describes the CONSTANT RATE OF FORCE with what the spring actually does.
The type of spring boltsniper was talking about is a CONSTANT RATE compression spring. They are also referred to as conical springs, because they can be completely collapsed under full compression.

Finding one that is useful for this application that will also be the right dimensions is basically impossible.

#13 snakerbot

snakerbot

Maker of Things

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

Actually, the FAR does use a coil spring. You can see it in the magazine pic on his website. The end of the unrolled section came up beside the follower and was mounted at the top of the magazine. Even so, the FAR is the only gun he used it on; he switched to a compression spring for the BS-9.

I think the coil spring should work, but you might have some issues with the follower getting jammed. The spring only needs to but pushed a little out of alignment under the follower to start putting the force on off-center. If you can get around this, I don't see why that spring wouldn't work.

#14 ricochet

ricochet

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:34 AM

About the springs, I have found that the wide, wave shaped compression springs (like in boltsnipers bs-9) to be the most reliable. They take up little space when fully compressed which should increase the total amout of darts you can fit. I have been able to make my own ones by stretching out springs in soap pumps into a wire, then bending it to the dimensions of the magazine. I don't know about you guys, but I think its quite practical. Just a thought.

Edited by ricochet, 24 March 2010 - 01:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users