Photo

Straw <-dart Possibility?

14 replies to this topic

#1 SerpentofSet

SerpentofSet

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:18 PM

I was thinking about doing a mod to my mav and came up with this more than likely unoriginal idea. If the pressure chamber is connected to a straw, would there be any foreseeable problems in just putting the dart on the straw? If the dart is airtight, the air should push it just as much as it would normally. (diagram below)
Posted Image
On an unrelated note, I apologize if this is in the wrong section. The topic had to do with modding guns, so...yeah.
Whenever I'm bored, I go onto NerfHaven and start reading the closed threads with a last post by VACC.

#2 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:20 PM

Wow.

You're basically making a Nightfinder style loading into a Titan/BBB style loading.

This is retarded, and it probably acts as a fucking air restrictor in itself.
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#3 SerpentofSet

SerpentofSet

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:25 PM

Wow.

You're basically making a Nightfinder style loading into a Titan/BBB style loading.

This is retarded, and it probably acts as a fucking air restrictor in itself.

Whoa, calm down there. For some reason, I seem to have pressed post instead of preview. But anyway, please explain to the fucking retardedguy why this such a bad idea.

Edited by SerpentofSet, 03 March 2010 - 05:25 PM.

Whenever I'm bored, I go onto NerfHaven and start reading the closed threads with a last post by VACC.

#4 zaphodB

zaphodB

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:27 PM

This is actually how nerf guns used to work. If you look at old modifications, you'll se that everyone cut them off, so it's probably not a more efficient way of doing things.
Alice came to the fork in the road.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

#5 MindWarrior

MindWarrior

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:30 PM

Air flow, it restricts the airflow.
QUOTE(Ryan201821 @ Jan 2 2010, 03:20 PM) View Post

Seriously, no penis pumps or dildos on your Nerf blasters.

REVOLUTION BABY!

#6 Whisper101

Whisper101

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:32 PM

It seems that i shall be the firts to actually explain this to you and not flame you like the previous two posers I mean posters.

EDIT: Dammit Zaphod; you beat me to it!

This will in effect, create more friction on the drats interior and since friction opposes speed, speed is lessend, thus lessenig ranges. You'd really be creating a tiny Titan. The only reaon that this works for the titan is that it put out such a large amount of air.

Understand; in guns like the maverick and NF, the pegs are removed because they induce friction. This is essentially what you are doing: creating a giant peg...

Hope this helps

#7 canuck

canuck

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:32 PM

The straws could easily get crushed, and darts could get damaged when being forcefully pushed onto the straw.
Also, when your in a nerf war situation, you have to get a small tube into the small hole, and you could damage the straw by bending, flaying, or crushing the straw.
We don't have military tactics or specialized training. We're fucking kids playing with plastic guns trying to tag each other.
-nerfer9

#8 SerpentofSet

SerpentofSet

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:37 PM

Alright gents, thanks for your help. I actually wanted to do this because I was too lazy to put a dart chamber back on, but I guess being lazy doesn't pay off anyway.

#9 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

Are you actually putting these straws in the turret? It sounds like you're just sticking the straw right on the plunger tube, in which case friction would be lower because the inside of a Nerf dart is much smaller then the outside.

I'm also not convinced that the airflow restriction really matters. It's a Maverick, the hole in the plunger tube isn't any bigger then a straw to begin with.

Also, if you look at some of the really low powered blasters out there at dollar stores and stuff, they all use pegs instead of barrels. Putting barrels on a lot of these blasters results in lower ranges then stock, which suggests it is more efficient.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#10 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:13 PM

The straw would rip after 2 shots of a properly modded gun.
My YouTube

Solved the Rubik's Cube in 46 seconds

"Nobody understands quantum mechanics" - Richard Feynman

#11 NerfArmory

NerfArmory

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:30 PM

Hm...Get something stronger then a straw and you could do it. Like...A metal straw or some veeeery small PVC? Because this would allow better range on a modded gun. More air pressure going onto the dart.
To Nerf, Or not to Nerf? That is the question.

#12 wardrive

wardrive

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:45 PM

The Straw design means that you'd have to use "inferior" darts, one of the things that makes Stefans so useful is their toughness. They usually don't have an inner channel which means that they have overall thicker diameter than stock nerf darts.

A straw would require that the darts have an opening inside them, that opening means that the dart has weaker/thinner walls. That's one of the reasons stock darts rupture when used in high power blasters.

That channel also causes the dart to "flex" when airpressure is first applied/released. The flexing movement reduces affects the seal of the dart (particularly in spring guns), and the slightly warped shape affects the accuracy and range of the dart as the flexing motion causes a tumbling/wobbling as the dart leaves the barrel and goes through the air

The Yellow text is speculative, I'm trying to test that.

So to summarzie: Channel=Weak, Solid=Stong.
It's not called incompetence, We call it Leadership.

#13 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:47 PM

Also, since streamlines are only so long, i'd be the equivalent of having a barrel as long as the dart. Less in fact.
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#14 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:38 PM

You should try it and get back to us.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#15 moosa

moosa

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:35 AM

What Talio is trying to get across to you is that people at Nerf Haven don't like speculation threads. I don't personally have a problem with it, but the staff here (including Talio) does, so if you value your posting privileges you should probably take note.

And he's right about trying it. Just try it, and see what results you get. Most of the people posting in this thread don't really know what they're talking about anyways. Yes, a plastic straw is not durable enough to be very practical, and I can tell you though that you won't want the straw to be any longer than is covered by the dart. The concept itself is not ridiculous, and there's a reason why Nerf and other companies use this type of barrel design for foam missile blasters. It may not be ideal for darts, but you won't know the results until you try. Let us know what you find out.
Yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users