Homemade At2k Tank.

Doesn't quite work...

12 replies to this topic

#1 louiec3

louiec3

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:13 PM

I made a working prototype 2k tank. The keyword is prototype. I have lost ambition for this project because I hate airguns.
First off things that still need to be done.
-Up the pvc size to 3/4"
-Use aluminum rod instead of brass tubing
-Add trigger spring (not to hard if you take up the original pin)
-Fine tune it find potential leak points.

Well here is what I did.

I drilled 13/32 holes in the middle of 2 1/2 pvc plugs. I got the center by wrapping a sharpie in tape then sticking it in the plug.
Posted Image

Cement the plugs in couplers; one should have a 1/4 hole drilled in it for tubing.
Posted Image

Cut a 3.7" length of 13/32 brass and cut a notch in it about 3/4 from the end. I would use a pipe cutters for this, so the ridge stops the firing pin. As you should guess the hole is 3/4" away from the cut end.
Posted Image

Slide the brass into on of the plugs it should stick out about 1/8. Then cement a 1.25" length of 1/2 pvc in that coupler.
Last, cement the other plug on that. The brass should stick out both ends.
Posted Image

Goop some tubing in the 1/4 hole.

Your firing pin is something with 3/8 od and is solid all the way through like aluminum rod. Don't use 3/8 brass tube like me.
Posted Image

The original pin was a 3/8 stub of aluminum rod on a pin of 1/4 aluminum rod, like so. (these aren't the real dimensions.)
Posted Image

Here is a proof it works video.
Posted Image

As I said in the beginning I have lost ambition for this project, and lots of stuff still has to be done. I hope I can pass this project onto the rest of the NIC so they can pick up were I'm leaving off.

It works by pumping it up. Then when you pull the 3/8 tube back it passes over the hole which lets the air out into the barrel.

Edited by louiec3, 02 March 2010 - 06:13 PM.

#2 mr yetti

mr yetti

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:22 PM

Holy crap! Have you tested it with a barrel? : :blink:

#3 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:26 PM

Very nice looking. Now if only I could make one.

#4 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:34 PM

Dayum. Very nice.
My YouTube

Solved the Rubik's Cube in 46 seconds

"Nobody understands quantum mechanics" - Richard Feynman

#5 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:18 PM

I would be very interested to see how long this thing will hold pressure. Do you think you could pump it up and let it sit for 15 minutes or so, and see if it's lost any pressure?

Edited by TantumBull, 01 March 2010 - 10:20 PM.

#6 louiec3

louiec3

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:23 PM

Well It was a good idea at the time.

I got around to further testing. At 1 pump it only leaks a little. It will hold pressure for about 5 minutes. At 2 pumps It leaks more, That will hold pressure for once again about 5 min. At 3 pumps it leaks like a seive, It loses 90% of pressure in about 1 minute.
The leak is in the front of the tank and the back, but the back leak I couldn't tell it was there for awhile. I found it at 3 pumps and it was barely leaking.

I put a 6in petg barrel on it, and the darts would go about 30ft with 1 pump. At 2 pumps once again about 30ft, and at 3 pumps still 30ft

To get it working better you would need to find materials with nearly identical nests dimensions. The brass has minute differences that cause problems.

To anyone who continues this project good luck, and if anyone wants the tank I made you can have it just pay shipping.

#7 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:38 PM

I asked because I didn't see any rubber parts. I think that may be your problem.

#8 billyblue888

billyblue888

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:56 PM

if anyone wants the tank I made you can have it just pay shipping.

PM'ed

#9 Darth Freyr

Darth Freyr

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:16 PM

There is no need to design new air tanks. A Zero valve is cheap, easy to construct, and seals well.
Please email me rather than sending a PM. I am DarthFreyr at gmail dot com

#10 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:57 PM

No one has ever built a working Zero Valve, to my knowledge. Especially not Zero Talent.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#11 Darth Freyr

Darth Freyr

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:24 PM

I built a working Zero valve from a 3/4" PVC tee. Granted, I haven't actually put it on anything, but it works.
Please email me rather than sending a PM. I am DarthFreyr at gmail dot com

#12 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:11 PM

Zero valves don't really work. I tried building one for Nercrazy a long time ago, and it failed, so I put him up to the challenge of making a similar system that would actually work. He made this, I made one as well, and I've used both in person, obviously. Not quite Zero valves, but pretty close.

There is definatley a need to design new air tanks, the Zero valve is shit. I even dare to say the "Crazy Valve" kind of sucks too, but at least those have confirmation of actually working. That is a terrible statement to make, why would we want everyone to make the same kind of valve?

Edited by venom213, 04 March 2010 - 04:15 PM.

#13 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:32 AM

No one has ever built a working Zero Valve, to my knowledge. Especially not Zero Talent.

Sorry for the (necro?),but zero valves definitely work. You just need to drill the holes in the end caps exactly centered. But they do work, garunteed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users