Painting Tiger Stripes?

a question

7 replies to this topic

#1 TheNoob

TheNoob

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:08 PM

hi there, i'm not so sure if this is the right section to ask questions in but i've been thinking of painting my recon black with red tiger stripes... or maybe just tear stripes if you know what i'm talking about.
i'm just uncertain if i should paint a red basecoat then mask and paint black or do vice versa.
please help

cheers

#2 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:18 PM

hi there, i'm not so sure if this is the right section to ask questions in but i've been thinking of painting my recon black with red tiger stripes... or maybe just tear stripes if you know what i'm talking about.
i'm just uncertain if i should paint a red basecoat then mask and paint black or do vice versa.
please help

cheers

Do the stripes color as the base coat.

#3 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:35 PM

And an idea for the stripes; try taking strips of painters tape, then riping the edges and laying them on. I had it work for me a couple years back.
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#4 TheNoob

TheNoob

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:45 PM

And an idea for the stripes; try taking strips of painters tape, then riping the edges and laying them on. I had it work for me a couple years back.

yep, that's exactly what i was thinking of.
so the stripe color first? then mask. then apply the black?
thanks <_<

#5 Spud Spudoni

Spud Spudoni

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:52 PM

Do a base coat of black, let it dry. Then put the masking tape where the stripes should be, then paint the red. Peel off tape and you sould get black tiger stripes.

industrial designer

#6 catmods

catmods

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:58 PM

I get good results by painting the base coat, (the main color,) then moving the spray can (the stripe color) close to the gun, and quickly spraying a line down. Saves paint and time, and the closer you hold the can to the gun, the thinner the stripe.
"Don't worry I'll just close it. Your gun sucks." - Talio

#7 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:34 AM

Do a base coat of black, let it dry. Then put the masking tape where the stripes should be, then paint the red. Peel off tape and you sould get black tiger stripes.

He did say he wanted the gun black with red stripes....

#8 TheNoob

TheNoob

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:02 AM

thanks for the help guys, i painted the whole gun red, then masked off some stripes and painted black.
im leaving it to dry.

cheers everyone!
:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users