Snap Rifle...

Wooden stock with 50% more termites

15 replies to this topic

#1 louiec3

louiec3

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:26 PM

Well this whole thing started out from my friends being annoying, and me being a push-over. They wanted a loser rifle, so I gave in and started making it. This is essentially a Snap on a wooden stock with a nice breech.

This won't be as in-depth as my other write-ups because most of it has been done before.

I started out with a 10 2/4 length of 1 1/4 pvc. I then cemented an endcap on it with a hole in it the cpvc will slide through.
Posted Image

I toook the 1 1/4 to 1/2 bushing and persuaded a 1/2 cpvc coupler into it.
Posted Image
Then I persuaded some cpvc into the back of the coupler so it was flush with the bushing.
Posted Image

Then I killed some deadspace and some things I don't like. i.e. those tactical rail tabs, scrap brass, air restrictors, and I think there is a penny in there too.

Posted Image
Add some padding on top of that.

Back to your plunger chamber. Make a clothespin trigger and secure it down where you need the catch to be.
Posted Image
Mine was about 2.5in away from the end of the endcap.

Make one of Rorks Superlative Snap Plunger Heads.

I used a +bow washer and 2 7/8 fender washers instead of his stuff. This is not the end picture this was the first try.
Posted Image

Cement that onto 11 3/8 of cpvc.

Make your barrel. Mine is about 14in it could be shorter. Bore out a tee so you can slide it on the barrel and glue it down.
Posted Image
The length from the end of the tee to the end of the barrel should be enough so it can go into a coupler fully, and glue a 45 degree elbow on.

Once all that is done slip on your spring and assemble the plunger body.
Posted Image
Those don't go all the way through they barely go into the 1 1/4 pvc otherwise they would rip up your rubber washer.

Posted Image
I bolted it on in case I need to get back in it.

Now for the fun part the stock.

Sketch out however you want it too look on a 2x4. Make sure you leave room for the plunger body.
Then cut it out.
Posted Image
I lost the picture of the bottom piece.

Cut a hole for your trigger.
Posted Image

Sketch a groove for your barrel.
Posted Image

Then cut it out using a router.
Posted Image

Don't forget a slot for your bolt handle.

Posted Image

Bore out 2 couplers so cpvc slides easily in them.
Secure them down in the groove. Sand the area out so they don't break the wood.

Posted Image

#2 louiec3

louiec3

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:29 PM

Posted Image

Now all that's left is to secure the plunger body down.
I used a set screw at the back e-putty, super glue, and INDUSTRIAL strength hot glue not that pussy lo-temp shit.
Posted Image

Sand corners edges down and other things and you're done.

Ranges are about 100ft. it is very comfortable, and I even made a video.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by louiec3, 21 February 2010 - 10:56 AM.

#3 JATDO

JATDO

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:52 PM

I really like the idea for the breech. I'm liking the wood going into a lot of these new SNAPS, I'm thinking of making one...
The only thing I don't like it how it was meant to be a "loser" rifle.
Over all nice job!
I remember when some girl in my English 101 class in college tried to cite The Onion as a source for her paper. The teacher lol'd.
The only time I got hit was when my spotter got hit and the enemy team realized there was a marksman in the bushes

#4 AquaPsudo

AquaPsudo

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:12 PM

Dude that's awesome

#5 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:11 AM

The beauty of this is that you can get as obnoxiously fancy and detailed as you want. Woodworking is awesome.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#6 Dangaard

Dangaard

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:28 AM

You know, I was never a real fan of the SNAP series, I thought they looked kinda ugly.

but, that breech system is probably one of the smoothest most durable looking things I've seen come out of the homemade thread. it makes me want to build one, a snap that is. Just like yours.

My hat is of to you sir.
Discretion is the better part of valor, thats why I carry a very big axe.

You can fool some people all of the time and everyone some of the time, but you cant fool all the people all of the time, but it sure is fun trying.

What have I got in my pocket? (tolkien)

#7 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:36 AM

Yeah, I agree Dangaard....SNAPs have never been exactly attractive. Effective, but they wouldn't win a beauty contest. And that's what's great about this build: not only does it add some class, but it adds usability. Nicely done. I gotta build one of these, too.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#8 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:19 AM

Yeah, I agree Dangaard....SNAPs have never been exactly attractive. Effective, but they wouldn't win a beauty contest. And that's what's great about this build: not only does it add some class, but it adds usability. Nicely done. I gotta build one of these, too.

You got it from the authority! Damn Carbon, I miss Nerfing with you. You aren't as keen on public indecency.

Yeah, this SNAP is really cool. I honestly want to make one too. Just to feel cool. Because I bet it feels really cool.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#9 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:53 PM

Damn thats pretty. Sexy-ass breech system. Nice.
My YouTube

Solved the Rubik's Cube in 46 seconds

"Nobody understands quantum mechanics" - Richard Feynman

#10 CaptainStefan

CaptainStefan

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:21 PM

nice, love the woodwork on it :)

#11 defcon44

defcon44

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:26 PM

This is made of pure awesomesauce!

QUOTE(Forsaken_angel24 @ Dec 5 2006, 09:58 PM) View Post
The trigger is not hard to depress at all. I would say its as easier than depressing a teenager.

#12 wasdf

wasdf

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:50 PM

That is beast. I probably am too shitty a modder to do this myself, but sometime I will try and fail in Effeminate proportions. That would be beautiful if you sanded the stock down and gave it a nice lacquer and stain. In my opinion, the bolt handle looks uncomfortably far forward. However, it's your gun your preferences. Again, this is awesome.
For a battle cry you gotta scream out "Feel the awesome power of my balls!"
~Chadpuff

#13 louiec3

louiec3

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:23 PM

Thank you all for your positive criticism. This was my first time doing some real woodworking so I decided not to get too fancy.

Dangaard- The breech is nearly indestructible, and it is awesomely smooth as you said. The gun as a whole can probably be run over by a car and it would still work. AKA it WON'T break

wasdf- If you take your time, and can build a snap; this ting isn't very hard. The bolt for me is a nice length because I can flip it forward without moving the rifle out of my line of sight. However putting a dart in is another story.

After my friend has had it for a week he told it is quite accurate. He has yet to break it, and he miss-treats everything.

#14 nate the great

nate the great

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:14 PM

Where can I get the rubber washer for the plunger head? Can you get it on mcmaster?

Thanks, nate the great
PRI you are a fucking idiot.

2 slingshot weights is basically a steel bullet with a foam sabot
-Mr BadWrench

You have a tampon on your gun. There's your problem.
-Hi Yah!

Join the Revolution!

#15 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:04 PM

Where can I get the rubber washer for the plunger head? Can you get it on mcmaster?

Thanks, nate the great

Read and find, Grasshopper. He said it was a +bow rubber washer, so the stickied +bow thread (and related parts list) might be a good place to look.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#16 nate the great

nate the great

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:47 PM

Oh, thanks carbon
PRI you are a fucking idiot.

2 slingshot weights is basically a steel bullet with a foam sabot
-Mr BadWrench

You have a tampon on your gun. There's your problem.
-Hi Yah!

Join the Revolution!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users