Photo

Ertl Pump Action Shotgun Spring Fed Rscb And Rscb Housing

11 replies to this topic

#1 nihil413

nihil413

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:18 PM

Please note: I have no pictures during the build because I didn't think about making a writeup when I first built this so all of the pictures are after the fact.

Here's a video to help clarify:

When I first received my Ertl Pump Action Shotgun (PAS) I was actually a bit surprised by how small this blaster was. Due to it’s size I decided to give the gun a little heft. To accomplish this I decided to make a housing setup for an RSCB. But before I started building it I was curious about one thing... why hasn’t anyone added springs to an RSCB before (assuming I haven’t missed someone posting it somewhere, which is completely plausible). I thought if a spring loaded RSCB would work then that would give me a better excuse to build the RSCB housing.
After playing with some air restrictor (AR) springs and an RSCB I realized it does work and it’s gonna make the PAS a bit more fun.
Posted Image

To create a spring loaded RSCB (this is a temporary version until I can find a suitable single continuous spring replacement) all you have to do is interweave some AR springs into your reservoir in the RSCB (I added 16 springs into a footlong PETG reservoir).
Posted Image

I would also recommend hot gluing a spring to the back wall of the RSCB (to help keep the springs in place) and hot gluing a “pusher” piece of larger foam backer rod (FBR) or maybe a rubber washer that fits onto the end of your interwoven spring to help push the dart and help prevent the spring from shooting out of the gun when you fire it.
Posted Image

Then plug your newly springed reservoir into your Tee, elbow, barrel setup and it should be ready for testing.
Posted Image

To create the housing for the RSCB you will need (Lengths were what worked for my setup other lengths may work better for different PAS mod setups):
2 pieces of 1-1/2” PVC (13-1/4” and 1-12” Lengths)
1 piece of 1” PVC (4” length)4 or 5 1/2” Tubing Straps
Take the 13-1/4” length of PVC (Piece A)and cut off the bottom so that it can slide over the front and rear sites on the PAS
Posted Image

Once you have Piece A cut properly. Insert a Tubing Strap into Piece a with it’s open end faciing Piece A’s open end (if Piece A is cut properly the Tubing strap will fit like it was meant to go in there).
Next snap Piece A with the Tubing Strap over your RSCB on your PAS (I chose to cover half of the Tee with the housing.) and adjust it to the position you would like it to stay in.
Push the Tubing Strap as far to the front of the RSCB reservoir as it can go. Once it is in place hot glue the Strap to Piece A
Posted Image

Put aside Piece A for now and take the 4” piece of 1” PVC (Piece B ) as we will be creating an RSCB Stabilizer
First cut a hole approximately 1” wide by 2” long into into the bottom of Piece B to fit over the rear site
Posted Image

Put Piece B over the rear site and attach the RSCB. Mark where the RSCB should rest in Piece B and then cut out the RSCB resting place
Posted Image

With Piece B and the RSCB on the PAS put a 2nd Tubing Strap at the back of Piece A and slid it into place (this should give you the proper location for the rear strap) Take note of the Tubing Strap position. Remove Part A and the Strap and glue strap into place.
Add a few more straps into Part A for added security.
(if the darts stick in any section of the RSCB with the Tubing Straps attached, file away a little of the inside of the tubing strap)
Once Part A and Part B fit to your liking, measure the length(if any between the front of the PAS and the Front of the Housing. The difference between the two should be the length of Part C (the 1-1/2” piece of 1-1/2” pvc in my example)

Cut Part C to length and test it with your RSCB setup ( you may need to shorten it or notch out a section to fit the RSCB.
Once you have Part C lined up with Part A to your liking, glue them together and you have created the main housing.
Posted Image

You will now have all the pieces made, now assemble it.
Posted Image

Clip the RSCB inside the main housing
Put the RSCB Stabilizer over the rear sight
Slide the Housing/ RSCB onto the PAS.
it’s setup.
Posted Image

Some Notes:
- My setup used both the 1/2” PVC and CPVC couplers for stabilizing the RSCB into the PAS.
- The RSCB rarely double feeds, the only time it's happened to me was in the 2nd video I posted. I believe due to the weakness of the AR springs, they don't have enough force to move the darts fast enough forward to double feed.
- It is winter in Ohio... I haven't had a chance to test ranges and my living room hardly counts as an effective testing ground.
- Next version will probably use a rubber washer and a continuous spring (assuming I find some that work)
- To reload, simply take off the front barrel and feed the darts in through the CPVC Tee then throw the barrel back on

Edited by nihil413, 09 February 2010 - 08:01 PM.

#2 meatballica

meatballica

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:28 PM

This is really really good. I have toyed around with this concept before but I have always thought that Air restrictor springs were too weak to work. Either way this was good and if the rest of your posts are going to be this creative I look forward to reading them. Welcome to the haven.
"You've waged your war on nerves, but you can't crush the kingdom."

#3 Chadpuff

Chadpuff

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

Its....so.....beautiful
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." ...Han Solo

#4 Spud Spudoni

Spud Spudoni

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:39 PM

Sweet Jesus that is sexy!
Amazing work. This is actually very promising.
Now if you did a pull back mod and did it on the bottom...
The only thing I am wondering is how do ypu reload with all of the PVC.

Edited by Spud Spudoni, 09 February 2010 - 07:40 PM.

industrial designer

#5 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:58 PM

Sweet Jesus that is sexy!
Amazing work. This is actually very promising.
Now if you did a pull back mod and did it on the bottom...

The PAS barely has a handle to begin with, a pull back mod gives you minimal leverage.

#6 nihil413

nihil413

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:58 PM

Thank you all for your comments, and it's good to officially be a part of the Haven now.

Spud to reload is really simple, just take off the front barrel and feed the darts in through the CPVC Tee and then throw the barrel back on.. I'll add that into the notes on the writeup.

#7 defcon44

defcon44

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:29 PM

I had 79 nerfgasms when I saw this

QUOTE(Forsaken_angel24 @ Dec 5 2006, 09:58 PM) View Post
The trigger is not hard to depress at all. I would say its as easier than depressing a teenager.

#8 FatNerfer

FatNerfer

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:37 PM

I had 79 nerfgasms when I saw this

Only 79, I HAD OVER 9000.
QUOTE(SchizophrenicMC @ Feb 8 2010, 08:57 AM) View Post
Because calling a nerfer a nerd is like calling water wet.

QUOTE(PunkPictures @ Oct 9 2009, 05:26 PM) View Post
nerfhaven is so fucking gay.

#9 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:23 PM

Jesus, that is so damn sexy. Nice work, man. Nice work.
My YouTube

Solved the Rubik's Cube in 46 seconds

"Nobody understands quantum mechanics" - Richard Feynman

#10 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:13 PM

The reason we don't typically do this is that springs are either too strong and cause double fires (particularly at the beginning), or too weak and won't push the darts into the barrel (particularly at the end). AR springs would fall into that weak category. I watched your video, and it seems to work nicely until the last shot you fired (with about 3 darts still in the tube) where you can watch the dart moving (since it's slower). Do the last few darts cycle correctly? Could we get a video showing it cycle all of them?
Teehee.

#11 nihil413

nihil413

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:26 PM

The reason we don't typically do this is that springs are either too strong and cause double fires (particularly at the beginning), or too weak and won't push the darts into the barrel (particularly at the end). AR springs would fall into that weak category. I watched your video, and it seems to work nicely until the last shot you fired (with about 3 darts still in the tube) where you can watch the dart moving (since it's slower). Do the last few darts cycle correctly? Could we get a video showing it cycle all of them?

I haven't had any problems with it cycling all the way through... I've had maybe two times where it double fired, which is about the same double fire rate I've had with a standard RSCB. The first video I made to introduce the gun actually has me shoot off all of the rounds I had in the RSCB. It's located at

#12 Pearson2

Pearson2

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:31 PM

This gun looks amazing. Love the paintjob. I can almost see that gun with a darker brown 'wood' paintjob. It would look like a hunting rifle. Very very cool.
Crooked: Did you see that guy who singled a doomsayer?

Pearson: Why would you single a doomsayer? Thats like taking a Ferarri and putting family seating in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users