Ratchetblast Assistance?

Something's wrong with the plunger...

16 replies to this topic

#1 ArmyOfNone

ArmyOfNone

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:54 AM

So I got a Ratchetblast in the mail today. Whoopaa! Grabbed some Megas I had lying around to test it...and nothing - the darts didn't even leave the barrel.

I tried all 4 barrels, no dice - the gun cocks, and the spring holds, but when the trigger is pulled, it's like the plunger rubs against the inside of the plunger tube with a screeching sound on the way down, totally robbing it of power.

Not content to simply stare at it until it started working, I popped the sucker apart, only to find this:

Posted Image

(Link in case image doesn't show: http://tinypic.com/v...pic=2hs9lhl&s=6 )

There's a bluish, dusty substance around the plunger head, and some even on the spring (not sure that's important or not). Then I took a look at the plunger tube:

Posted Image

(Link in case image doesn't show: http://tinypic.com/v...pic=2eforhg&s=6 )

Yup, more blue bits at the end of the tube.

At this point, I'm stumped - is this normal? Is this fixable? Do I just have to lube the ever-loving heck out of it, or start scouring eBay and the local dump for a replacement Ratchetblast plunger?

Any and all help is appreciated!

#2 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:24 AM

Is the hole at the end clogged up at all?

#3 polycarb

polycarb

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:21 AM

Is the blue stuff easily removable? Try flushing the plunger tube with warm water, then use sandpaper on the plunger head very carefully.

#4 pjotrkuh

pjotrkuh

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:36 AM

Do a wash 'n lube, then test fit, put the plunger in the tube, hold your finger ond the hole on the other end of the tube, push the plunger fast through the tube, if it doesnt compress the air, then come back....

Is the plunger head stil flexible?? If not the sucker is dried out, and youll have to build an replacement........
When the shit hits the fan, you'd better wear a rain coat.....

#5 Phree Agent

Phree Agent

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:26 AM

That blue gunk was all over my internals as well. If I had to guess I think it is just a mixture of the ancient stock lube and dirt in the blaster. I just washed it off and re-lubed, no harm done.

#6 FatNerfer

FatNerfer

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:23 PM

Clean it and lube it.
QUOTE(SchizophrenicMC @ Feb 8 2010, 08:57 AM) View Post
Because calling a nerfer a nerd is like calling water wet.

QUOTE(PunkPictures @ Oct 9 2009, 05:26 PM) View Post
nerfhaven is so fucking gay.

#7 ArmyOfNone

ArmyOfNone

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

No, the hole is clear, it's just around the edges that it's covered - although the hole is a little dis-figured (looks more like a cat's eye than a round hole)

Is the blue stuff easily removable? Try flushing the plunger tube with warm water, then use sandpaper on the plunger head very carefully.

It's weird: some of it falls off if you look at it wrong, but some of it needed a chisel (don't worry, I was careful) - didn't think of water, shoot, better go wash it.

Do a wash 'n lube, then test fit, put the plunger in the tube, hold your finger ond the hole on the other end of the tube, push the plunger fast through the tube, if it doesnt compress the air, then come back....

Is the plunger head stil flexible?? If not the sucker is dried out, and youll have to build an replacement........

Plunger head is still flexible, yes, but not exceedingly - and thanks, didn't even think to check it BEFORE I put the gun back together, makes sense!

That blue gunk was all over my internals as well. If I had to guess I think it is just a mixture of the ancient stock lube and dirt in the blaster. I just washed it off and re-lubed, no harm done.

Haha oh good, glad this isn't an isolated case! I figured it had something to do with age and (hopefully) not misuse.

Clean it and lube it.

Right! Now, to find a local place that sells the RIGHT kind of lube...because silicon lube is bad for this gun, yeah?

#8 ArmyOfNone

ArmyOfNone

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:31 PM

SCRATCH THAT!

Found out the problem.

For some INEXPLICABLE reason, the person who owned this before me ripped off the gray seal at the end of the gun's plunger tube (where the tube meets the turret, so it turns easier), and then re-glued it so the hole in the plunger tube is BLOCKED by the seal!

I think I'll try tearing it off and re-gluing it, see if OPENING UP THE AIRFLOW HOLE makes it any easier to shoot the darts :D

#9 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:32 PM

No, the hole is clear, it's just around the edges that it's covered - although the hole is a little dis-figured (looks more like a cat's eye than a round hole)

It's weird: some of it falls off if you look at it wrong, but some of it needed a chisel (don't worry, I was careful) - didn't think of water, shoot, better go wash it.

Plunger head is still flexible, yes, but not exceedingly - and thanks, didn't even think to check it BEFORE I put the gun back together, makes sense!

Haha oh good, glad this isn't an isolated case! I figured it had something to do with age and (hopefully) not misuse.

Clean it and lube it.

Right! Now, to find a local place that sells the RIGHT kind of lube...because silicon lube is bad for this gun, yeah?

So, reading the stickied lubricant thread is beneath you? Use silicone grease, not anything which is aerosolized.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#10 ArmyOfNone

ArmyOfNone

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:04 PM

So, reading the stickied lubricant thread is beneath you? Use silicone grease, not anything which is aerosolized.

Ah, no, just double-checking...

#11 CA13

CA13

Nude Nerfer

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:15 PM

Carbon is the ratchetblast connoisseur of NerfHaven. Please look for his ratchetblast thread.
Doing this as I speak. I have no idea when I got it...my DAD got it some 15 years ago, but that doesn't matter. Anyways, it keeps jerking around all over the place. I try to hold it with a rag...It doesn't look like...much.

#12 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

If you have any further problems, I can email you many high quality internals photos, a few of which I will soon be putting in the internals thread.

#13 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:38 PM

SCRATCH THAT!

Found out the problem.

For some INEXPLICABLE reason, the person who owned this before me ripped off the gray seal at the end of the gun's plunger tube (where the tube meets the turret, so it turns easier), and then re-glued it so the hole in the plunger tube is BLOCKED by the seal!

I think I'll try tearing it off and re-gluing it, see if OPENING UP THE AIRFLOW HOLE makes it any easier to shoot the darts :D

The previous owner didn't do anything except use the blaster; my old RB (which had never been opened until that point) had the foam seal shifted in a similar way.

The foam was able to be peeled off easily and re-stuck on with the hole in the foam aligned with the hole in the plunger tube. The hole will then line up with the barrels when the blaster has been primed...and the airflow won't be blocked by foam.

Edited by jwasko, 05 February 2010 - 12:38 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#14 ArmyOfNone

ArmyOfNone

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:34 AM

A big thank you to everyone and their advice! I now have a functioning ratchetblast that fires megas a beautiful 25 feet level. Thinking about trying Nerkum's barrel replacement mod so I can use it at the Bunker war on the 28th (streamlines and stock micros only), although I might do mine w/Brass so it adds a little more weight to the end, to facilitate the Ah-nuld-style cocking B)

If you have any further problems, I can email you many high quality internals photos, a few of which I will soon be putting in the internals thread.

This is a lil' unorthodox, but could I possibly get a close-up (with a ruler) of the teensy lil' spring that sits up inside the targeting reticule, and doubles as the locking mechanism? While I was working on mine I got spooked by the cat, the spring went PWING, and it disappeared into the depths of my central heating system like it was freaking laser-guided. I'll need a visual reference if I ever want a hope of replacing it. Much obliged!

#15 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:34 AM

One handed cocking is not recommended. I've heard that you can easily break the plunger rod by doing that, so I'd be weary.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#16 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:34 AM

One handed cocking is not recommended. I've heard that you can easily break the plunger rod by doing that, so I'd be weary.

Also the handle. There are some simple reinforcements you can do to keep it in tact when ahnoldating, though.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#17 ArmyOfNone

ArmyOfNone

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:32 PM

Also the handle. There are some simple reinforcements you can do to keep it in tact when ahnoldating, though.

Yeah, was just reading your thread about that - those are some good ideas, if I'm gonna put brass in the end it might be best to do a lil' beefin'-up first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users