21 replies to this topic

#1 3DBBQ

3DBBQ

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:44 AM

(ARB) Antennae-Rifling Barrel

Posted Image

This is the easiest way to create Rifling!!

I use the RX2 to test:

Posted Image

After testing rifling REALLY WORK!!

50% accuracy increase

how to make ARB:
Use fishngwire
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

With pliers and pull down
Posted Image

4 wire has been installed
Posted Image

inside:
Posted Image

Edited by 3DBBQ, 28 January 2010 - 12:53 AM.

#2 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:15 AM

Very cool. How much does this affect the darts afterward? Do they get marked up and squished?

Using this picture for reference, we can see that the yellow circle and green circle represent different ends of the barrel.
Posted Image

Cut 4 equidistant notches on both ends of your barrel, making sure to line them up. The fishing wire will be threaded from a notch on the front to a notch on the back with quarter rotation. Thus if we mark the notches 1-2-3-4 starting from the top and going clockwise, fishing wire would go 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-1 where the first number is the notch in the front and the second number is the notch in the back.
(Nb: this is to impart clockwise rotation upon the dart. Reverse if you want counter-clockwise rotation).
Posted Image

Anchor the wire in one end of the barrel, and then pull through to the other end and secure it, making sure to maintain the quarter-turn clockwise rotation.
Posted Image
Posted Image

4 wire has been installed
Posted Image

inside:
Posted Image

Some more photos from the site 3DBBQ linked with english explanations:

Use a dart or something similar to pull the wire through
Posted Image

Lock the wire onto the barrel with a larger fitting (Think nesting PVC over CPVC here).
Posted Image

Edited by Zorn's Lemma, 28 January 2010 - 01:23 AM.

"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#3 3DBBQ

3DBBQ

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:18 AM

I have just re-tested,Here is report:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
(My rilfing twist is LEFT)
Green ink is "up" we can see the green is moved!

Edited by 3DBBQ, 28 January 2010 - 03:02 AM.

#4 soccerbeast003

soccerbeast003

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:32 AM

Wouldn't the wire cut the foam? I mean it is on the inside of the barrel.
Christine Everheart: You've been called the Da Vinci of our time. What do you say to that?

Tony Stark: Absolutely ridiculous. I don't paint.

#5 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:52 AM

I was wondering how this affects the seal between the dartand barrel, ie: do you need a little looser barrel or would you use the same material of say a NF barrel w/o the wire?

#6 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:57 AM

Could you post the raw data for the accuracy tests? A while back I demonstrated that another "rifling" test did not live up to the hype as the increase was not statistically significant. That means that the increase was not outside of what could be expected from a normal gun.

Nerf darts get their stability from the weight distribution so I'm really doubting improvements of 50% or more could be seen from rifling. But if it works, I'd be interested in knowing for certain.

#7 3DBBQ

3DBBQ

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:14 PM

Could you post the raw data for the accuracy tests? A while back I demonstrated that another "rifling" test did not live up to the hype as the increase was not statistically significant. That means that the increase was not outside of what could be expected from a normal gun.

Nerf darts get their stability from the weight distribution so I'm really doubting improvements of 50% or more could be seen from rifling. But if it works, I'd be interested in knowing for certain.

you can send this message to "MythBusters" :D
or make ARB to testing!

and.. improvements of 50% mean the HomemadeDarts
Because HomemadeDarts Low accuracy

Edited by 3DBBQ, 28 January 2010 - 12:52 PM.

#8 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:27 PM

This is a quarter turn over how long? Two feet? That's a marginal spin if any.

Rifling is described by its twist rate, which indicates the distance the bullet must travel to complete one full revolution, such as "1 turn in 10 inches" (1:10 inches), or "1 turn in 30 cm" (1:30 cm). A shorter distance indicates a "faster" twist, meaning that for a given velocity the projectile will be rotating at a higher spin rate.
Barrels intended for long, small-diameter bullets ... use twist rates of 1 turn in 8 inches (20 cm) or faster.

Teehee.

#9 3DBBQ

3DBBQ

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:58 PM

My barrel about 1.5 feet

This is a quarter turn over how long? Two feet? That's a marginal spin if any.

Rifling is described by its twist rate, which indicates the distance the bullet must travel to complete one full revolution, such as "1 turn in 10 inches" (1:10 inches), or "1 turn in 30 cm" (1:30 cm). A shorter distance indicates a "faster" twist, meaning that for a given velocity the projectile will be rotating at a higher spin rate.
Barrels intended for long, small-diameter bullets ... use twist rates of 1 turn in 8 inches (20 cm) or faster.

#10 bourbon

bourbon

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:21 PM

If it's not too much to ask, you could possibly move each wire one slot over to the left. This would add another 90 degrees of rotation and probably show more obvious results.

#11 pjotrkuh

pjotrkuh

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:30 PM

If it's not too much to ask, you could possibly move each wire one slot over to the left. This would add another 90 degrees of rotation and probably show more obvious results.

I hate to put you out of that dream, but if he does that, the dart can't go through the barrel anymore, the wires wil "cross" the barrel................

Already wire's do not sit against the tube wall, there fore creating more friction and a terrible seal.........
When the shit hits the fan, you'd better wear a rain coat.....

#12 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:28 PM

you can send this message to "MythBusters"
or make ARB to testing!

and.. improvements of 50% mean the HomemadeDarts
Because HomemadeDarts Low accuracy

With all due respect, I don't have the time, patience, or money to test every claim like this. You're the one making the claim. Back your claim up with the test data you would have to take to make the claim.

Edit: I've been told that 3DBBQ's darts are unweighted. This would allow rifling to improve stability and in turn improve accuracy, so the claims are believable. My points below about improving the weight distribution such that the dart's center of gravity is in the front of the dart and increasing muzzle velocity and dart inertia still stand. Rifling is pointless when the weight distribution is good.

The two easiest ways to increase accuracy for Nerf darts are to increase the muzzle velocity and the dart inertia (mass). Safety concerns prevent these two from increasing too much. There is a practical limit to accuracy. Until a gun and dart combination reach that limit, I see no reason to futz with things that probably won't do anything.

Rifling to improve accuracy seems to be one of the "holy grails" of Nerf and it will remain so because it can't work. At best it would improve a dart's stability, which typically is already excellent due to the weight distribution as I've mentioned. At worst it will reduce stability, tear the dart, and contribute to leaks.

Edited by Doom, 28 January 2010 - 11:42 PM.

#13 CA13

CA13

Nude Nerfer

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:42 PM

If there was one golden rule in modifying/making a homemade Nerf blaster, it would be Rate of Fire>Range>Accuracy. Really, the last two should just be blessings that happen after your undertaking.

Edited by CA13, 28 January 2010 - 09:42 PM.

Doing this as I speak. I have no idea when I got it...my DAD got it some 15 years ago, but that doesn't matter. Anyways, it keeps jerking around all over the place. I try to hold it with a rag...It doesn't look like...much.

#14 laxtk88

laxtk88

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

Some of the info on the subject can be found in this thread along with several good links. And yes it was my first.

Edited by laxtk88, 28 January 2010 - 10:30 PM.

QUOTE(Sleebo @ Jun 12 2008, 07:23 PM) View Post

Just for the record, my mother is the most beautiful women in the world.

#15 zaphodB

zaphodB

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:17 PM

If there was one golden rule in modifying/making a homemade Nerf blaster, it would be Rate of Fire>Range>Accuracy. Really, the last two should just be blessings that happen after your undertaking.

You are so wrong on so many levels. By your reasoning, the rf20 is a better gun than a crossbow, or even a rebarreled bbb.

If there's a golden rule to any nerf gun, it would be reliable performance > anything else. If you can use a gun to your advantage, it doesn't matter if it shoots 20 feet or 200
Alice came to the fork in the road.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

#16 3DBBQ

3DBBQ

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:44 AM

Distance:

Posted Image

Accuracy:

Youtube video

Although this does not help for the NERF Darts,

good for the homemade darts

It can shoot very far, very safe, hit will not hurt

Edited by 3DBBQ, 02 February 2010 - 12:19 PM.

#17 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:02 PM

So, that was 80-95ft? with a mega dart?

Edited by Lion, 02 February 2010 - 02:05 PM.

#18 Airsoftguy777

Airsoftguy777

Do not buy/sell with this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 301 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:14 PM

How well do you think this would work with a Cobra?
Nerf in Texas? Join us. <a href="http://texasnerf.lefora.com/" target="_blank">http://texasnerf.lefora.com/</a>

#19 polycarb

polycarb

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:23 PM

How well do you think this would work with a Cobra?

Well, you may have to do what I did, and double up the string, but otherwise,
I think the effect would be marginal.
I know it made my +bow feel more accurate; I think just give it a shot.

#20 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:56 AM

So, that was 80-95ft? with a mega dart?

It looks more like around 170 feet.

EDIT: 700th Post!

Edited by cheesypiza001, 03 February 2010 - 07:58 AM.

#21 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:06 PM

Ussing the person on the right as a measurment, it was about 16x him, now i'm guessing he was 5-6ft tall: 5x16=80, or 6x16=96

Also if he was standing in the same place in the vid, it'd be dead accurate at 25-30ft

Edited by Lion, 03 February 2010 - 08:10 PM.

#22 thaygor

thaygor

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:05 AM

Nice work man! I love the idea that there might be a way to do rifling to a foam shooter.
Just remember you are unique, Just like everyone else!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users