Photo

Nerf Grenade (no Frisbee)

23 replies to this topic

#1 FrappicinoINC

FrappicinoINC

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:27 PM

Well i finally did it. A Nerf grenade that is actually a grenade. Though this is still in its prototype stages, I am hoping you guys could give me a hand.

First there was the Barricade Buster witch was just a frisbee that explodes on impact.

Then there was the film canister grenade but it sucked so nobody bothered with it.

Next there was the Lanard Scatter blast, but they were kind of rare.

Finally there was the new revolutionized Nerf Grenade which required none of the above.

Its blast radius is about 1 to 2 yards.

In the video i wasn't using enough power so please just imagine the blast bigger because that is what it is capable of, a bigger blast.

Here it is, my new grenade. Please check it out and tell me what you think:

I still need to figure out the explode on impact part, but that is why i am posting this to see if you guys had any ideas.

And please, no BS about milsim. I ask that you keep it to yourself.

#2 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:47 PM

It's been done by a friend of mine, and it even explodes on contact if thrown correctly.

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#3 FrappicinoINC

FrappicinoINC

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:41 PM

It's been done by a friend of mine, and it even explodes on contact if thrown correctly.

Its a great idea but it is nothing like mine.

#4 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:08 PM

Someone is going to make a comment about the knife and then will lecture us on safety. Just watch.

You're going to have to come up with a way to dislodge the pin on impact.

One thing you might consider is wrapping the rubber bands around something so they take several seconds to unwind before launching the darts. This unwinding could be triggered by the removal of a pin perhaps, and you would have an actual timed grenade of sorts. Unless of course you really want impact activation.

Edited by durka durka, 10 April 2010 - 07:12 PM.

"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#5 zaphodB

zaphodB

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

There's so many reasons why this is a dead end idea.

*Blast radius is tiny
*It's solid
*It's heavy
*A reliable impact trigger that also won't injure a person if it hits them is much more complicated than a knife holding a few rubberbands
*Flight stabilization will be bulky, and get in the way of the dart "explosion"
*The exact same effect can be achieved much more simply by shotgun barreling a titan.
Alice came to the fork in the road.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

#6 FrappicinoINC

FrappicinoINC

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:38 PM

There's so many reasons why this is a dead end idea.

*Blast radius is tiny
*It's solid
*It's heavy
*A reliable impact trigger that also won't injure a person if it hits them is much more complicated than a knife holding a few rubberbands
*Flight stabilization will be bulky, and get in the way of the dart "explosion"
*The exact same effect can be achieved much more simply by shotgun barreling a titan.

I'm only using a knife because i did not have anything else to hold it in place. I think that 2 yards is a pretty good blast radius.

#7 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:24 PM

Its a great idea but it is nothing like mine.

This made me laugh.

Basically it's the exact same thing except yours has a pin. Blast radii were similar, cheap shitty parts, they're very similar. Only differences; yours is basically a claymore and his is a grenade.

If you threw that 'grenade' at me in a war I'd fucking kick you in your testicles if I wasn't already incapacitated from a concussion.

So, failed idea. AGAIN.

Sorry, I'm being honest.
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#8 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:37 PM

If you threw that 'grenade' at me in a war I'd fucking kick you in your testicles if I wasn't already incapacitated from a concussion. Sorry, I'm being honest.

And hyperbolic. Unwarranted anger much? Why comment if you have nothing to contribute? Not even a helpful suggestion.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#9 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:58 PM

If you threw that 'grenade' at me in a war I'd fucking kick you in your testicles if I wasn't already incapacitated from a concussion. Sorry, I'm being honest.

And hyperbolic. Unwarranted anger much? Why comment if you have nothing to contribute? Not even a helpful suggestion.

I'm trying to convince this kid that his ideas are absolutely retarded. 3 threads of shit and pages of insults and words of discouragement haven't seemed to work.

It's a waste of bandwidth.
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#10 utahnerf

utahnerf

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:15 PM

This idea would work...if you were standing right next to your fucking target, and they didn't already shoot you or barrel tap you, and if they would allow you to shank them with a butter knife. THEN it would work.

#11 FrappicinoINC

FrappicinoINC

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:25 PM

This idea would work...if you were standing right next to your fucking target, and they didn't already shoot you or barrel tap you, and if they would allow you to shank them with a butter knife. THEN it would work.

Wow, I'm just trying to ask for some helpful feedback.

Edited by FrappicinoINC, 10 April 2010 - 10:25 PM.

#12 utahnerf

utahnerf

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:32 PM

Oh. Well maybe you should make a spring-loaded catch so it can "detonate" on impact. Without that, it is not a grenade, to my understanding. Didn't mean to offend you, but I would kick you in the testicles if I was stabbed during a war, and use the bloody knife and... well you know what I'm getting at.

Edited by utahnerf, 10 April 2010 - 10:35 PM.

#13 FrappicinoINC

FrappicinoINC

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:41 PM

Oh. Well maybe you should make a spring-loaded catch so it can "detonate" on impact. Without that, it is not a grenade, to my understanding. Didn't mean to offend you, but I would kick you in the testicles if I was stabbed during a war, and use the bloody knife and... well you know what I'm getting at.

Haha, yeah no throwing knives allowed in Nerf. Besides I used the knife because I didn't have anything else. And yes i do agree that getting hit in the head with that would make a person want to kill the other.

#14 ricochet

ricochet

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:59 AM

That looks like it was slapped together in 5 minutes, no offense, but spend a little more time on your creations. It looks like it will not even survive a toss. You have a concept, just spend some more time on the timer or whatever you use, as well as the durability part.

#15 FrappicinoINC

FrappicinoINC

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:05 AM

That looks like it was slapped together in 5 minutes, no offense, but spend a little more time on your creations. It looks like it will not even survive a toss. You have a concept, just spend some more time on the timer or whatever you use, as well as the durability part.

Like i said it's just a prototype. The reason I showed this to you guys because I can't finish it. That's why i asked you guys for help so I can make a finished product.

#16 flamingeyes245

flamingeyes245

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:20 PM

Why do you think this hasn't been done yet. None of us can figure it out either. So, either tinker a bit and find something, or GTFO.

Thank you, and have a nice day.
Keep your friends close,
And your Nerf guns closer.

External Modification contest, check it out!

Using anything I write as a sig makes your penis shoot rainbows. Bitches LOVE rainbows
^^VACC

#17 pjotrkuh

pjotrkuh

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:22 PM

So you entirely missed: 1)What he said in the movie: he used the knife because he did not have popsickle sticks, 2) about THREE posts where he stated; he used the knife because he did not have popsickle sticks....

READ before you comment, I don't mean to offend you, but YOU deserve a kick in the testicles, for not reading nor listening.......

As for the whole grenade idea...... Bin it, it is not worth throwing away 6 to 10 darts when you can load them into a gun and shoot someone with 500% (or more) accuracy, spend your skills on modding a blaster instead of rubberband-powered-dart-waster......
When the shit hits the fan, you'd better wear a rain coat.....

#18 nerfer63

nerfer63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

You people need to gt over yourself wth the whole if you threw that at I would kill you. I am positive he isn't a retard and would do that. Once he gets it to work as it should he could simply wrap it in layers of foam pipe insulation so incase it did accidently hit someone it would not injure them.

N63

#19 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:09 PM

This particular approach to the nerf grenade seems to be a dead end. The propulsion has little room for improvement, save adding energy with more rubber bands or a spring. The darts really only go in one direction, and only appear to have a semicircular blast with the aid of gravity, which will not always be facing the right direction if you plan on throwing this. Also, you have no impact trigger, which is a pretty crucial component for a grenade, and will not be easy to integrate.

The container is also too heavy, and even with a popsicle stick instead of a knife, somewhat dangerous for throwing at people. This, at least, could be improved without a complete design overhaul.
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#20 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:35 PM

If you want to make an actual grenade, expand on the Lanard design or a homemade variant of the sort. Its the only thing that'll work.

trans as shit because fuck you

#21 Gym

Gym

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:57 PM

I'm surprised that the supposed impracticality of nerf grenades has yet to be fully mentioned in this thread. I think they work for indoor wars, but if you're planning on using this outside you may want to redirect your efforts.

You asked for feedback so for what it's worth, here's what I have to say:

I've worked on three grenades, one of which was a failure and the other two worked out alright.
I notice 4 problems: trigger, safety, directional reliability, and propulsion mechanism.

Trigger:
My first (failed) attempt had a couple similar problems to yours: trigger mechanism (or lack thereof) and potential for damage to person or property. I would suggest following Bob's idea for a timer-based trigger. The grenade will deploy prematurely if you don't have a timer.

Safety:
You will also need to cover the whole thing in a significant amount of foam to keep it reasonably safe (this has nothing to do with the knife). Aside from the potential damage to people which may not be as bad as some suggest, damage to property could also be problematic. Since I'm assuming you're planning on using this inside the last thing you want to do is lose an amazing indoor nerf location because you destroyed a window or something with your grenade.

Directional Reliability:
This grenade will not work as a grenade (rather than a mine) unless it deploys or lands just right. You could solve this (and the safety issue) if you create several grenades and put them in a large foam dodge ball. You would want to roll or lightly bounce it rather than throwing it, so it would be a rolling mine more than a grenade in this case.

Propulsion:
Rubber bands are cheap and great, but if you could use an air tank you may have better luck. Perhaps use the above dodge ball concept with a central air tank or bladder and the problem is solved. I just think some form of air propulsion would help in this case.

If you're willing to put time and research into all these changes then go for it. You might learn something valuable in the process, even if it's the result of a failed concept.

-Gym

Edited by Gym, 12 April 2010 - 10:13 AM.

#22 SerpentofSet

SerpentofSet

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:11 AM

What exactly is the point of a nerf grenade? Military grenades are designed to have a large casualty range, usually more than 10 feet. That way, a soldier to take out a group of enemies without risking himself as much as running in by himself. Your grenade gets about 3 feet. It's a nice effort, but the basic idea of putting a grenade into Nerf is counterintuitive. The propulsion of several darts past 10 feet WHILE being in a convenient-to-hold/throw object just doesn't seem plausible.

Also, Nerf isnt really milsim, is it.

Edited by SerpentofSet, 12 April 2010 - 12:18 AM.

Whenever I'm bored, I go onto NerfHaven and start reading the closed threads with a last post by VACC.

#23 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:28 AM

Someone is going to make a comment about the knife and then will lecture us on safety. Just watch.

but I would kick you in the testicles if I was stabbed during a war, and use the bloody knife and... well you know what I'm getting at.

Some people are just so predictable. if you read the original post, you would know the knife is a temporary measure used in this prototype.

Frappicino, I'm impressed at your determination. Most people would have been crushed under all of this negative feedback. While some are offering constructive criticism, others seem to think we should shoot down ideas (with actual prototypes) on the basis that its "too difficult" or "has no place in nerf".

Don't give up. Just remember that no one has had much success in this area.

Edited by durka durka, 12 April 2010 - 05:28 AM.

"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#24 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:55 AM

This thread sucks.

FrappicinoINC, don't create any more grenade or mine related threads.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 12 April 2010 - 11:57 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users