Angel Breeched Spring Replacement

20 replies to this topic

#1 Whisper101

Whisper101

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:57 PM

Hey all,

I recently finished angel breeching my LS. I am getting OK ranges with it. I have not as of yet improved the seal or replaced the spring yet. I have searched around and can only find a few different spring to replace or add to the LS:

-BBB spring
-Recon spring
-Nf srping

I do not have either of the first two. Currently I have the LS spring and a NF spring in there.

What other springs would work well to produce high ranges in and angeled LS? Anything at ACE possibly? How 'bout a cut down +bow spring?

Thanks.

#2 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

A cut down [k25] spring (one step wider than a +bow spring), or LS + BBB springs seem to work well. Cut down AR-15 springs also work, I've heard, but I've never gone to a gun store with the intent of buying one.

Pretty much just use whatever you have. You don't need a specific spring to get good performance, just more pushing force.

EDIT: Improving the seal can dramatically increase performance, and should be done BEFORE you add lots of springs.

Edited by Wes7143, 13 January 2010 - 05:04 PM.

QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#3 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:30 PM

Ranges may decrease with a spring replacement and no seal upgrade. Just saying.
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#4 Frankie27

Frankie27

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:31 PM

Sorry for hijacking your thread Whisper but I have a quick question.
What do you guys think is stronger in a LS, a NF or Recon spring?
Admin of No. 1 Australian Nerf Site - Oz Nerf

#5 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

Sorry for hijacking your thread Whisper but I have a quick question.
What do you guys think is stronger in a LS, a NF or Recon spring?

There are different generations for each of thos blasters, but I would say; LS, Recon and then NF.
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#6 Whisper101

Whisper101

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:41 PM

[k25]'s can be ordered from Mcmaster? Is there any ACE equivalent of a [k25]? How about 1.5 or so ACE #49s

I've found that a LS spring+NF spring+Mav spring will not allow the gun to catch.

#7 Eh Watt

Eh Watt

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:03 PM

[k25]'s can be ordered from Mcmaster? Is there any ACE equivalent of a [k25]? How about 1.5 or so ACE #49s

I've found that a LS spring+NF spring+Mav spring will not allow the gun to catch.

Yes they can be ordered from there, I believe the [k25] is a bit weaker than the [k26], which is quite similar to an ACE #49. I am not 100% positive on that.

Did you reinforce the catch at all? Try using the spring from a bic clicky pen, or the McMaster 96565K36 (K36, I guess) spring.

Edited by Eh_Watt?, 13 January 2010 - 06:04 PM.

John Hancock

#8 Whisper101

Whisper101

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:07 PM

So Watt, conceivably, between 1 and 2 ace 49 springs could be used? I'd just have to reinforce the shit out of everything. Yes, I did add another spring to the catch.

#9 flamingeyes245

flamingeyes245

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

I have probably 3 springs on the catch of my singled ls and between 1 to 1&1/2
home depot springs(ace # 49) and it held great when it was put together.
I have found that when you fill the dead space in the black piece in the plunger tube at the back of the breech,
if you let the hot glue (or other filling material) form a slight dome over the top of the piece, it pushes the plunger rod back just far enough to catch much better than before.
Keep your friends close,
And your Nerf guns closer.

External Modification contest, check it out!

Using anything I write as a sig makes your penis shoot rainbows. Bitches LOVE rainbows
^^VACC

#10 Whisper101

Whisper101

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:17 PM

flamingeyes: I've gotch for the first 2 lines but I'm not quite sure wht black peice you are talking about. Oh, wait, I think I get you. I actually filled the deadspace and then added a padding layer of foam.

#11 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

Try an Ace 69 spring.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#12 Whisper101

Whisper101

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:54 PM

@ Hi Yah: That worked for you? Will it need to be cut down?

#13 meatballica

meatballica

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:14 AM

A [k26] is a really good spring in a longshot. But you might want to replace the plunger head and make sure that your bolt nub and brass is on extremely good. I have a [k26] I might be able to send you. Do you want it? I can cut it down for you.
"You've waged your war on nerves, but you can't crush the kingdom."

#14 Whisper101

Whisper101

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

@ meatballica: Coupla questions:

how much?
How do I replace the plunger head? With What?
The nub is attached wiht gorrilla glue super glue. It's pretty strong...

#15 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:43 PM

1) How do I replace the plunger head? With What?
2) The nub is attached wiht gorrilla glue super glue. It's pretty strong...

1) http://lmgtfy.com/?q...3Anerfhaven.com
2) Super glue has very poor sheer strength. On top of that, brass is very resistant to adhesives. If you've only got a small nub of a contact point, look into epoxy or even better, brass-specific epoxies.

Also NF > Longshot > Recon in terms of spring strength. Smaller diameter + thicker wire diameter + low coils per inch = stronger spring. The NF spring wins in 2/3 categories.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#16 Whisper101

Whisper101

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:37 PM

@ Zorn's Lemma: OK good to know. Will plumber's epoxy putty do the trick to reinforcing the nub?

I'm thinking of these spring options:

-LS spring and ace #69
-LS spring and 1-1.5 ACE #49s
-LS spring and cut down [k26] spring
-LS spring and cut down plusbow spring (If that'll work)

#17 Whisper101

Whisper101

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:44 AM

LEGIT DOUBLE-POST:

I slapped a +bow spring in there (cut down of course) and it works very nicely. It's a bitch to cock already so I don't think I'll put the LS spring back in there.

I tried replacing the plunger head but the rubber washer used in the link that Zorn posted was too big. It noticeably slowed down the plunger head's travel, resulting in far shorter ranges.

#18 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:29 PM

I tried replacing the plunger head but the rubber washer used in the link that Zorn posted was too big. It noticeably slowed down the plunger head's travel, resulting in far shorter ranges.

That's what lube is for. The washer is meant to be oversized, as this helps seal. Another thing that might help is reducing the size of the front steel washer, which allows the rubber to flex more and more a "cup" shape over time.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#19 Whisper101

Whisper101

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:29 PM

You think silicone grease/lube is the way to go?

#20 hawkshot

hawkshot

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:32 PM

He just told you to lube the plunger head and you just asked (Don't sig) what to lube in the gun. Wow. Well, yes. Silicone grease is one of the best lubricants for nerf guns out there, next to the the spray and lithium.

Seriously, if you can find a spring with around the same power as the LS, put it in there. Popular springs are:

RFSG
BBB
[k25]
[k26]

And why the hell do you have to make a help thread for every little thing?

Edited by hawkshot, 16 January 2010 - 05:57 PM.

Call me Hawk.

Hawkshot, one of the founding FL Nerfers.

#21 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:54 PM

He just told you to lube the plunger head and you just asked (Don't sig) what to lube in the gun. Wow.

Whisper, Silicone grease works WONDERFUL. Silicone spray may cause side effects, and is very runny. I hope this comment actually helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users