Electronics Question

Lights and Sounds

4 replies to this topic

#1 Reagent X

Reagent X

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:47 PM

I recently decided to start modding electronics, because the clear guns are just asking for an internal LED board, but I started with something much easier.

I took apart a "Magic Lights." It is a wind-up laser top.

Internal Pic:
Posted Image

There is a speaker that makes laser sounds, a red laser, and 4 LEDs.

My questions are:
What is the switch? Is it one of the blue things? There is no on/off switch, it just turned on when it was spun.
Closeup of main circuit board
Posted Image

Is the laser even worthwhile? I know it fell off, that can be easily re-soldered, but is a laser on a Nerf gun just stupid?
Laser closeup
Posted Image

That is all.

#2 stuper bunny

stuper bunny

• Banned
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:27 PM

If it lit up when spun, it was probably a centrifugal switch, where a piece of metal would fly outward and contact another piece completing the circuit. Since you didn't post a picture of whatever the heck a "Magic Lights" is, I can't say for sure, but that is what is in my light up yo-yos that I had when I was a kid.

Try connecting everything, then pressing down on the tops of the blue things. If I were to hazard a guess, I would say those were the switches.

#3 debandgeek12

debandgeek12

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:01 PM

You should try another forum. That makes more sense.
It's time to pretend.

mysterio
the leaking was all in the bladder

Yay, the IRC.

#4 Aj

Aj

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:58 PM

Basically, without trying to sound rude, circuit building and modification is not something you can just jump right into. Some prior tuition or at least solid research is needed, along with some trial and error.

Anyways, I don't see how this is 'easier'. Wiring up LED's is one of thje simplest circuits you can create. What exactly are you trying to achieve with modification of this circuit?

You need to post a picture of both sides of the main PCB, as the side you posted has no traces on it. However as stated previosusly it's likely the blue things are the switches.

The light and sound show is controlled by the 'blob' style IC (the black blob on the LED board). Given that there are only 2 wires leading to that PCB from the 'power' PCB, it's pretty easy to deduce where the power comes from, and thus you could hook up a new power source with a rocker or push button switch very easily (as i assume you wish to trigger the lights and sounds some other way apart from spinning the gun).

If you can't work out how to do such a thing I suggest putting any dreams of electronic mods on hold, again not trying to be rude.

Aj
Foam Sports Australia - Founder

Check out my Youtube - Adelaide Nerf

#5 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:23 AM

We're not here to do all of your thinking for you. There are other forums for that.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users