Offset Coupler

Does it affect accuracy?

13 replies to this topic

#1 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:30 PM

If anyone has tried this before, is the accuracy of a spring gun affected when a coupler is not centered directly on the end of a plunger? In other words, does having the air output not centered in the coupler (and therefore, not directly behind the dart) affect where the dart will go?

Thanks for any replies; I'm looking to try this on a gun of mine, but don't want the accuracy screwed up.
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#2 JATDO

JATDO

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:41 PM

If anyone has tried this before, is the accuracy of a spring gun affected when a coupler is not centered directly on the end of a plunger? In other words, does having the air output not centered in the coupler (and therefore, not directly behind the dart) affect where the dart will go?

Thanks for any replies; I'm looking to try this on a gun of mine, but don't want the accuracy screwed up.

I wouldn't think so, but I've never done it. As long as all the air makes it to the coupler it should be fine.
I remember when some girl in my English 101 class in college tried to cite The Onion as a source for her paper. The teacher lol'd.
The only time I got hit was when my spotter got hit and the enemy team realized there was a marksman in the bushes

#3 flipoffacliff

flipoffacliff

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:45 PM

I have offset a coupler before and my gun shot fine. Like JATDO said just make sure that all the air goes into the coupler. Also make sure you have no gaps/leaks where air can escape.
My sales thread

That is tighter than my butthole. - Ryan201821

#4 fallinouttadabox

fallinouttadabox

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:42 PM

The maverick shoots straight, and the hole in the reverse plunger is not centered so I would say yes.
fallinouttadabox (intentionally lowercase): sometimes you want to be somewhere between thinking in the box and thinking out of the box. Trust me, I would know.

#5 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:40 PM

Yeah It'll work. I mean the Rachetblast has it as so. lol I'd like to see an RSCB'd Rachetblast. It'd increase dart capacity, add more range becaue you won't have that tiny tiny tiiiiinnyyyy offset hole and it reloads automatically everytime you cock it xD
SoothSayer-

"Just adding some lube and twisting it back and forth for a while should make it easier"

Subscribe to my Music page and mods >> http://www.youtube.com/user/OnyxMP312

#6 JATDO

JATDO

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:32 AM

The maverick shoots straight, and the hole in the reverse plunger is not centered so I would say yes.

Then 9 feet later it goes strait down...
I remember when some girl in my English 101 class in college tried to cite The Onion as a source for her paper. The teacher lol'd.
The only time I got hit was when my spotter got hit and the enemy team realized there was a marksman in the bushes

#7 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:09 AM

Lol really? haha Nerf guns don't have hop-up! hahaha jk it's not that bad of a gun :P I'm modding one to be badass lawl
SoothSayer-

"Just adding some lube and twisting it back and forth for a while should make it easier"

#8 fallinouttadabox

fallinouttadabox

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:21 AM

Straight down is still straight.
fallinouttadabox (intentionally lowercase): sometimes you want to be somewhere between thinking in the box and thinking out of the box. Trust me, I would know.

#9 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:38 AM

Thanks for all the replies, that gives me some confidence for this. The coupler will be on a higher powered gun, so hopefully the same principles that let a Maverick shoot straight also work for mine. Still though, if anyone has ever done this, I'd appreciate any input.
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#10 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:03 AM

Don't think about the plunger like it's creating wind that blows the dart down the barrel: all it's doing is creating pressure which eventually overcomes the dart's friction in the barrel. The resulting pressure is what causes the dart to fire. Good airflow to allow that pressure to build quickly is what's important. If the hole is too small, you'll have problems.

An example other than the Mav: in an RSCB, the air comes in from the side, and accuracy isn't an issue.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#11 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:39 PM

Ertl Rapid Fire Dart Gun (raw material for "Doomsayer")

Lanard Hand Cannon

Lanard Shotgun (raw material for "Quadshot")

Check the internals directory or the writeups, you'll see they have offset plunger outlets.

There are actually many others, but those are pretty popular these days.

Don't forget the RatchetBlast :P
SoothSayer-

#12 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:39 PM

Okay, sounds great. Thanks for the help guys. One last thing though, that Carbon made me consider: does the air output hole on the Crossbow need to be enlarged to be effective?

#13 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts
  • State:Illinois

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:47 PM

Okay, sounds great. Thanks for the help guys. One last thing though, that Carbon made me consider: does the air output hole on the Crossbow need to be enlarged to be effective?

You should always optimize the airflow from the path where the plunger head stops and where your dart is sitting in your barrel. But you don't need to make the hole at the end of your Crossbow plunger any bigger if you don't want to. Plenty of people haven't made that hole bigger and still had effective Crossbows. This is basic Modding 101, you should probably read this thread a bit.

Edited by Ryan201821, 02 January 2010 - 02:48 PM.

#14 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:24 PM

Read through the topic, but I really didnt find much that helped. Still though, thanks for the advice. I'd normally just experiment till I got it right, but I'd much prefer to get it right the first time with a Crossbow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users