Photo

Nite Finder Mods

What can I do and still use nerf micros?

21 replies to this topic

#1 Jtsky

Jtsky

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 08:57 AM

I want to mod my Nite Finder but still use nerf micros. I was thinking of drilling out the air restrictor. About how much distance does this mod add if you do it to a stock gun? What would be the best barrel for this gun if I still want to use nerf mcros? Basicly I want to know the best way to mod a Nite Finder and still use the nerf micros.

I also wanted to know this to but didn't want to make a new thread for it. Why is their a difference in distance when you change the barrel? I am guessing it is because you can make the fit of the bullet more suited to what the guns air delivery is. So if I am right, a Nite finder needs a tighter fit to the bullet so the pressure can build up more before it lets it go. Is this correct?

Edited by Jtsky, 22 March 2004 - 08:59 AM.

#2 Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:32 AM

If you look around at some of the older threads, and in the mods section, you can find pleny of ideas and information for modding Nite Finders. I also recommend readding Raggy's article on modifications that is at the front of the site. Next time, please read the older posts before you start a thread.

Most of the barrel mods (Petg, Brass, CPVC) will allow you to still shoot stock darts, but homemades work way better for any Nerf gun. The main reason why distance changes for the barrel is the fit around the dart determines the amount of pressure when it is fired. Most stock barrels do not have very tight fit around the dart, so they do not shoot as far as say, a Brass barreled gun.
"Do you like gladiator movies, Johnny?"

#3 Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 02:00 PM

For the Nite Finder, if you take all the screws out of the case, it will come open, and then you can remove the flow restrictor without needing to drill through it. The barrel assembly should come apart without too much trouble. Leave in the piece that the spring rests on, it alligns the barrel and plunger and doesn't restrict the flow. I drilled holes in that piece on one of my 2 NFs, and left it solid on the other. Put the gun together like it was before, but without the flow restrictor's spring and the little prongy thing. Both of my NFs shoot about 40 feet now, as opposed to 20-25 before.
If you want to include a barrel that can shoot stock micros, I'd suggest that you take a micro to the hardware store, go to the pipe section, and find whatever pipe fits the dart head best. I'd suggest about a 4 inch barrel, but that's up to you.
Do not mess with CXWQ, for he has Admin powers and will bann your flaming little a**.

Techno-Dann of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team

#4 Jtsky

Jtsky

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 04:26 PM

Techno, I did the mod you said and the thing only shoots about 2ft farther than before. I does seem to go faster though. The only thing I am not sure of is if I removed the right peice. I removed a small spring and an orange peice that is a circle with three peices sticking off it. Sorry for the bad description.

About your range measurements, are you using stock barrel and darts? If so, Is your only mod on those guns the mod you told me?

#5 Guest_LonE_FoX_*

Guest_LonE_FoX_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2004 - 05:29 PM

hey man, read Ragnarock's mod article. (You can do this by moving your mouse to the tab at the top of this site that says 'mods', and clicking it.) Raggys is somewhere toward the middle. I followed his articles exactly only i used 5 inches of 9/16 brass barrel, Now i get about 65 feet with my Night Finder

-FoX

#6 Jtsky

Jtsky

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 06:55 PM

I have read ragnarocks article about 3 times. I just looking for the right mods for stock bullets. If you read his article you can see that he does not use nerf micros. I was also trying to find the range increase of just removing the air restrictor(I could not find this info on this site or any other sites). When you measured 65ft were you using nerf micros or something else?

#7 Gamefreak

Gamefreak

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 06:59 PM

Use PVC and make your own mod, or gule the PVC to the punger tube you'll have to do some cutting to the case, but, it should fire STOCK micros and mega stefans.
Gamertag : Corpseoftheyear

QUOTE(substance abuse)
No offense but soldat has to be the worst game ever made
Like anyone could even know that, GOSH.

#8 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 07:08 PM

this may seem odd, but I used Ragnarok's mod on my nitefinder and it works fine with stock bullets, there's an increase in range, just not as much as if you would switch to micro stephans.

~ompa

#9 Jtsky

Jtsky

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 07:34 PM

I think I am going to get some brass tube with an outer diameter that is a little less than the stock barrel's inner diameter. I am going to glue that in to the stock barrel to decrease the barrel size a little. If I need to I can repeat that on the brass by getting a smaller diameter peice of brass and glueing it inside the other brass barrel. I would just repeat that until the stock bullets are a tight fit with the tips not pushed in(I want the bullets to be pushed in about the same as a stock gun). What do you think of this mod? Has it been done before?

#10 Guest_LonE_FoX_*

Guest_LonE_FoX_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2004 - 07:40 PM

I got 65 feet with the stock nerf micros thatcame with my NF, you know the black oneswith the orange tips

#11 Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 08:48 PM

Techno, I did the mod you said and the thing only shoots about 2ft farther than before. I does seem to go faster though. The only thing I am not sure of is if I removed the right peice. I removed a small spring and an orange peice that is a circle with three peices sticking off it. Sorry for the bad description.

About your range measurements, are you using stock barrel and darts? If so, Is your only mod on those guns the mod you told me?

You got the right parts... Oh yes... I also cut out the center post. I hope you can figure out how to do that, if not, check Rag's mod for it. Other than that, it was as described.
Yes, I was using the stock barrel and darts.
Do not mess with CXWQ, for he has Admin powers and will bann your flaming little a**.

#12 Jtsky

Jtsky

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:51 PM

Leave in the piece that the spring rests on, it alligns the barrel and plunger and doesn't restrict the flow. I drilled holes in that piece on one of my 2 NFs, and left it solid on the other.

I don't understand how that peice doesn't restrict flow. It covers 80% of the tunnel. You didn't notice any difference in the gun you drilled it out on? I think I am going to drill out a pretty big hole in it. That peice seems very sturdy. A hole shouldn't hurt it. The thing I think that peice might do is to make the air come out more slowly. That could help in some situations and hurt in others. Depending on the barrel/dart fit.

I cut out the center post and its poles that hold it to the rest of the peice. Tommarow I am going to sand the rest of the pole things off and drill a hole in the peice the spring rests on. I am also thinkin of adding a spacer onto where the sping goes. I think this would have the same effect as stretching the spring, accept not shortening the life of the guns. Has then been done effectivly? I haven't seen it done.

Also, are the nerf micros that come with this gun the same size as the nerf micros that come in the extras pack? Are all nerf micro bullets(coming from different guns or the extra packs) the same size?

#13 Guest_LonE_FoX_*

Guest_LonE_FoX_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2004 - 11:06 PM

Bro, instead of drilling a whole through that thing, ( you are right it DOES restrict air flow) i just knoked that piece out, then epoxyed the piece with the post, straight to the plunger tube

#14 Jtsky

Jtsky

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 11:17 PM

Bro, instead of drilling a whole through that thing, ( you are right it DOES restrict air flow) i just knoked that piece out, then epoxyed the piece with the post, straight to the plunger tube

So you didn't use the peice at all? Did you have problems with your spring lining up? I think Ill just drill a hole. Its not that hard to do and it will still let the spring rest in the right place.

#15 Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:11 PM

Leave in the piece that the spring rests on, it alligns the barrel and plunger and doesn't restrict the flow. I drilled holes in that piece on one of my 2 NFs, and left it solid on the other.

I don't understand how that peice doesn't restrict flow. It covers 80% of the tunnel. You didn't notice any difference in the gun you drilled it out on? I think I am going to drill out a pretty big hole in it. That peice seems very sturdy. A hole shouldn't hurt it. The thing I think that peice might do is to make the air come out more slowly. That could help in some situations and hurt in others. Depending on the barrel/dart fit.

I don't know either... It does seem a bit odd. I'll have to do some more experimentation. A nice big hole shouldn't hurt anything.

The micro darts have the same size of foam, but the head design is different.

#16 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 04:44 PM

Ive drilled that hole out on 2 of my nitenifers, the entire thing, so it is the biggest hole possible, and...it didnt help a bit.

THIRST
ko

#17 Jtsky

Jtsky

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 08:11 PM

You got the right parts... Oh yes... I also cut out the center post. I hope you can figure out how to do that, if not, check Rag's mod for it. Other than that, it was as described.
Yes, I was using the stock barrel and darts.

I cut out the center post. I decided not to drill a hole in that other peice. Now my gun doesn't work. It shoots about 5ft. Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Edit - I figured out the problem. The peice that the spring rests on was in backwards. Easy fix. It shoots about 5ft farther than my bro's gun now.

Edited by Jtsky, 23 March 2004 - 09:00 PM.

#18 DoubleLnL

DoubleLnL

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:04 AM

In Ragornocks mod, after the 12 picture, look at the third sentence. I'm sure you already know that stock micros work, but just to clarify it says "the stock darts fit surprisingly well into this PETG" which I'm guessing is IronRhino's.

#19 Ender

Ender

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:42 AM

If you use cpvc it holds up a bit better than regular pvc. Then take your dremel and sand down the inside of the barrel. This allows the stock micros to slide in very easily and still create an air seal in the back of the chamber, plus you can still use home made ammo as well increasing the versatility of the gun in war. There are a few other mods as well you can do to fine tune your nf , i.e. micro maglight it, trigger lazer point it, or my personal fav flash bang it. Iím also working on a one hand loading and cocking method to support duel nf fighting but itís still in development as of yet.

#20 Guest_LonE_FoX_*

Guest_LonE_FoX_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2004 - 06:24 PM

Oh do write a mod on trigger laser pointing it, also what is this flashbang mod you talk of , do tell i am intrigued

#21 Jtsky

Jtsky

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 03:45 PM

I think I am going to get some brass tube with an outer diameter that is a little less than the stock barrel's inner diameter. I am going to glue that in to the stock barrel to decrease the barrel size a little. If I need to I can repeat that on the brass by getting a smaller diameter peice of brass and glueing it inside the other brass barrel. I would just repeat that until the stock bullets are a tight fit with the tips not pushed in(I want the bullets to be pushed in about the same as a stock gun). What do you think of this mod? Has it been done before?

No one has any thoughts on this idea?

#22 Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 01:39 PM

Well... The darts are already fairly snug, so you might want to find a size of brass that fits them, and then just glue that in.

I hot-glued a six inch copper barrel into my NF (replaced the stock barrel) and it shoots 45-55 feet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users