what's the best?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Whisper101

Whisper101

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:19 PM

Hey all,

I'm doing some touch up work on the shell of my at3k and I was wondering what exactly is the best material fo this application. I've used plumber's epoxy putty before but I'm probably gonna need a few tubes of the stuff and that'll probably be around $15 for three tubes (my estimated necessary amt. ). This is a possibility but no one that I am necesarily in favor of.

I've also seen Bondo used. I'm not quite sure how much Bondo costs, but from what i've seen, it produces some nice results.

So my question is: What substance is the best, most glueable, sandable, paintable for the job?

All suggestions are welcome and thank you in advance...

#2 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:32 PM

Hey all,

I'm doing some touch up work on the shell of my at3k and I was wondering what exactly is the best material fo this application. I've used plumber's epoxy putty before but I'm probably gonna need a few tubes of the stuff and that'll probably be around $15 for three tubes (my estimated necessary amt. ). This is a possibility but no one that I am necesarily in favor of.

I've also seen Bondo used. I'm not quite sure how much Bondo costs, but from what i've seen, it produces some nice results.

So my question is: What substance is the best, most glueable, sandable, paintable for the job?

All suggestions are welcome and thank you in advance...

As some may know--Bondo is my choice. The kit (base and hardener) is only $9 at Wal-Mart. Bondo works very well for shell work---but......It WILL crack if it flex's. Any other questions just PM me.
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife
Rknight-- wow......N9---your dad is in trouble now!

#3 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Oregon
  • u/Parabolictoys on Reddit

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:34 PM

What exactly are you trying to do with the filler? Smoothing out integration points or something? Isn't there a type of polyurethane body filler that is flexible? I'll look in to it and see what i can find.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#4 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:42 PM

Bondo is good when you just need to fill holes. It isn't something to use for attaching pieces together. It's best to use epoxy if you can because it's stronger, but if you need a lot, it is cheaper to use Bondo. Just remember that Bondo is absolutely not for attachment; it's only for filling.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#5 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Oregon
  • u/Parabolictoys on Reddit

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:05 PM

Just remember that Bondo is absolutely not for attachment; it's only for filling.

Sounds eerily like the conversation I had with your mother last week. BTW, tell her hello for me.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#6 Whisper101

Whisper101

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:42 AM

I just got some of that UV body filler. Will try it out soon and report back...

#7 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts
  • State:Maine

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:48 AM

I use the steel re-enforced epoxy putty that they sell in Walmart's automotive department. The tube is only about $2, and the stuff works great. The only downside is that it hardens really fast, so you have to work quick. Otherwise, it's the best epoxy I've ever used.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#8 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 559 posts
  • State:England

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:04 AM

I use the steel re-enforced epoxy putty that they sell in Walmart's automotive department. The tube is only about $2, and the stuff works great. The only downside is that it hardens really fast, so you have to work quick. Otherwise, it's the best epoxy I've ever used.

Worked on the britbow...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users