Photo

Shell Shock.... Sticking Slide...

8 replies to this topic

#1 wisdom000

wisdom000

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:27 PM

It's been a while since I posted, and I am aware that the Shell Shock is considered trash by pretty much everyone. But I had to get one, it just looks too cool. And damned if doesn't look even cooler in my hand.

So anyway, I took it apart and got it all painted, but when I put it back together the slide sticks like crazy. I have taken the damn thing apart and put it back together at least 2 dozen times. I have taken pieces out that looked like they were the cause, checked and re-checked to make sure I was putting them back in right. But no matter what, to have all the pieces in that make the gun work, I am left with the slide sticking so bad that I am afraid I am going to break the damn thing by forcing it to charge....

Anyone with any experience with these things have a clue what I may be doing wrong?
Datafortress 2020, the largest and most comprehensive Cyberpunk 2020 site in the world, home of Interlock Unlimited:
http://datafortress2020.110mb.com/

#2 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:32 PM

Too much paint or gloss coating.

#3 wisdom000

wisdom000

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:40 PM

Unfortunately I wish it was that simple...

It's definitely something internal thats catching, I just can't figure out what...
Datafortress 2020, the largest and most comprehensive Cyberpunk 2020 site in the world, home of Interlock Unlimited:

#4 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:23 AM

Unfortunately I wish it was that simple...

It's definitely something internal thats catching, I just can't figure out what...

I'm gonna have to go with Tantum on this seeing as what you're describing is usually what happens when one uses too much paint on a moving part. Also, please post a closeup picture of the piece. This will help us determine the cause of the problem.

#5 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:59 AM

Also, please post a closeup picture of the piece. This will help us determine the cause of the problem.

It would be more helpful to post a closeup of one side of the gun, with all the pieces in, before you close the other shell and screw it together.

Also, if it were too much paint, the gun would prime with a lot of scraping and friction and ugliness, but not totally lock together. That's usually the sign of a piece of plastic out of place (imagine putting a recon together wrong).
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#6 eliman

eliman

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:59 AM

What gun are you talking about. The PAS
''you can walk it's ment for peopel'' -my dad

#7 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:19 AM

Where did you get that idea?

Anyways, try taking most if not all the internals out of the gun so its just the shell and install the slide on it and try cocking it. If it moves then everyone here is right and you reassembled it wrong. If not, then we can assume the paint is holding it. In which case give it several days to completely dry and try it. If it still doesn't work then sand off the paint underneath the slide.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#8 wisdom000

wisdom000

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:41 PM

Where did you get that idea?

Anyways, try taking most if not all the internals out of the gun so its just the shell and install the slide on it and try cocking it. If it moves then everyone here is right and you reassembled it wrong. If not, then we can assume the paint is holding it. In which case give it several days to completely dry and try it. If it still doesn't work then sand off the paint underneath the slide.

I know how to paint a gun, it's NOT the paint. Regardless, I painted it over a month ago. Other than the "locking" of the slide in the forward position, it operates smoothly.

I have pics of it assembled, but I don't have access to a digital camera at the moment to take pictures of the internals.

As I stated, it is an internals problem, but I will be damned if I can figure out what it is. When I can get a camera I will post interior pictures, sorry for starting the thread without the ability to get the pictures up.

#9 wisdom000

wisdom000

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:52 AM

Well, I took it apart to take pictures, found the reason the slide was sticking, but it is now irrelevant, as a tab on the plunger that acts as a guide for the cocking catch broke off, pretty much destroying all functionality of the gun. It's too bad, cause it really is the coolest looking foam thrower I have ever seen, and contrary to popular belief it's ranges weren't that bad, similiar to a maverick. Of course the actual firing mechanism was pretty much the same as a mav, so thats no surprise. It's only real problem is it's just so damn cheaply made, other than that its a pretty damn innovative and interesting gun.

There are pics of it in the Paintjobs thread for anyone interested, along with my second recon and my raider.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users