#1 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts
  • Fucks Given:0
  • State:California

Posted 21 March 2004 - 01:45 AM

Okay, bear with me here. I'm simultaneously venting and asking if this has ever happened to anyone else...maybe everyone around me is from Dickhole-ville, or maybe this has happened to someone other than me.

So, I've been playing with a group of these college kids for about 4-5 months now, every other weekend kind of dealie, in a campus building at night. At first, I was the only one there with a modified weapon - a Crossbow - but soon thereafter, a few more modifed weapons showed up. I was no longer the only person there with a modded weapon! Infact, there were 2 other people there with Crossbows, and several with Arrowstorms! Horay!

Nobody else there can use my ammo...most everyone is stock, or modified with PVC to shoot stock micros. What I want to know is, why people feel the need to pick up your homemade ammo and not give it back mid-game - when they blatently cannot use it in any way, even after you ask them for it...because (1) nobody could use it except me, (2) and I have a fairly limited supply (which I announced to everyone prior).

Soon thereafter in the meeting area, one of the girls there gave me an evil look. You know, the look. I confronted her about it, and she was actually angry that I was using a Crossbow. She honestly thought that I was going to cause someone to like, bleed internally or give them SARS, some fucked up reason like that. Then a few minutes later, she drops off 7 darts of mine in the dart pile after the game, after I had asked her for them, but they were no longer darts - but a pile of mangled mush with some of them torn, the tips mutilated, the foam twisted. I couldn't fucking believe it.

I think next time I'm going to bring my brassed SM5K.

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#2 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 01:51 AM

lol women are evil (most anyways). They are just jealous, I have no clue how many darts I've had stolen; luckily, I just started making homemades and plan to use some sort of bright-colored hot glue to recoginze them. People are evil- all I can say is get used to it. But while you're at it, give them bruises. And tell them to go to hell from ompa. Also, to try to help, just tell her you won't hurt anyone, and point out that other people are using modified weapons as well. I doubt telling her to go to hell will help, but it'll provide entertainment and anger relief if needed; trust me, I've done it many-a-time.

~ompa

Edited by ompa, 21 March 2004 - 01:53 AM.

#3 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 01:52 AM

This is the kind of shit that happens when not everyone is on the same page as far as rules and restrictions.

Make sure the allowed armaments are spelled out clearly. Make sure the rules regarding dart pick-up are spelled out clearly. Most wars have specific rules against grabbing darts you can't use.

If someone doesn't like the rules or breaks them, discuss the situation with them and if all else fails suggest they not return.

It sounds like your guns were a bit of a mismatch, at least at the start, and she probably harbored some resentment because your shots hurt more than the others.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#4 MysticFalcon182

MysticFalcon182

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 02:01 AM

give them SARS

Heh... I could've gotten SARS over the summer in Taiwan, but yay for hot weather!

I'm constantly hanicapped due to my SM5K, my precision, and my accuracy with it... I don't play with those fags anymore.

~Mystic~

#5 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 02:28 AM

Soon thereafter in the meeting area, one of the girls there gave me an evil look. You know, the look.

Hey, GrOOvE, maybe she actually has the hots for you. You never know! ;)

Any girl who Nerfs is probably worth a shot.

Sorry to hear about yer darts.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#6 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 09:34 AM

Tell them they cant play if they are gonna be like that...Its happened to me several times, except it was a uy, who nerf, but my ammo looks much different than his, and he ended up never giving them back, but I was told he didnt know he had them, so maybe Im wrong...

THIRST
ko

#7 VeggieBoy 3000

VeggieBoy 3000

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 10:01 AM

Pretty much all the guys I nerf with use the same ammo, with some exceptions, so we've never really had that problem. Sure, everyone's darts look different, but you pretty much are just trading ammo when you shoot at each other. By the end of the war our ammo supplies are all mixed, and we'll trade bak, but not during rounds. But if one guy uses stock darts or zero's then we either leave them or give them to him after the round, and he does the same with our stefans.
Go NAVY! Beat ARMY!

#8 Blaster

Blaster

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 11:49 AM

Sorry to hear about your darts. I guess she just didn't understand that you weren't aiming to hurt anyone with your bow. Maybe you're right and you should bring a modded gun like she's thinking and show the difference. I'm not to sure what to do since I've never quite been in a situation like this.
"The voice of the American people has been heard; and, I won't imitate it, out of respect for the retarded."
Lewis Black (concerning the 04 election results)
www.lewisblack.net

#9 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 11:55 AM

I really don't understand why someone would do something like this...I mean, I think I'm the only guy there that can consistantly shoot 80+ feet, and at that range my Stefans don't hurt that much. Infact, it almost feels like a normal dart. I don't think it's resentment felt from the beginning, because they would have told me to not bring it much, much earlier on. I've only managed to shoot one guy in the eye, but he was wearing glasses, and no harm was done. Hell, I even tried suggesting a 'tap out' rule if someone was close to me, around a corner, you know - so I don't have to fucking give them a welt. They didn't like that, either...

#10 Guest_nerferdude_*

Guest_nerferdude_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2004 - 12:03 PM

why don't u just shoot her?

#11 reversedracula

reversedracula

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 01:40 PM

The solution here is to learn to dodge. I've got friends who're slowly breaking their crossbows to shoot farther and farther and others who've added springs to their ArrowStorms. We've got modded Max Shots, Airzookas, etc. also. If you do a bit of practice at 20-30 feet or so, you can learn to get out of the way pretty well, even in a hallway. What's even more entertaining is when people try to use a Tornado or Firestorm effectively against you after you're used to dancing around crossbow and SM5k shots. Of course, these antics make your more of a novelty, and allow you only to really carry one gun larger than pistols you can holster, i.e. a gun that swings on a strap. (In our games, when your gun is hit, you're hit.)

Edited by reversedracula, 21 March 2004 - 01:41 PM.

NERF OR NOTHIGN!11!eleven!!!one!!!one!11!!!!onhoundredandeleven!!!!!

#12 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 04:01 PM

First of all: Campus Nerf? Right on!

As to the darts, I suggest that you just blow this out into the open. Perhaps before a game, discuss where everyone wants to go in terms of game rules, blaster power limits (unless you're happy with spud guns, indoors, firing little balls of metal and polymer with foam tails), ammunition rules/standardization, stuff like that.

I know I've run into a little trouble when one participant had a blaster obviously better than everyone else's, due simply to it's nature and not necessarily the modding skill. We called him on it, discussed, and came to the solution that we just needed to stop bitching and make our own guns better. We never did have this ammo hoarding problem, however. Perhaps it's just a jealousy thing; You'll never know unless you ask.

...Or do something radically different, and give this girl a really nice Nerf gun. Whether you want to hit on her or not, it doesn't matter: she may appreciate it, and solve part of your problem.
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#13 reversedracula

reversedracula

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 02:11 AM

If everyone used these nice, simple unmodded guns, no one would complain about arms-race gaps. It's amazing what an e-bay Nerf filter will give you sometimes.

http://newageprototy...m/FANCANNON.HTM

I'd like to use teddy bears as ammo.

Edited by reversedracula, 22 March 2004 - 02:17 AM.

#14 MysticFalcon182

MysticFalcon182

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 08:27 PM

Haha... Remember the episode of The Simpsons when Ned Flanders's wife gets killed by getting shot and falling down with these?

Then the 13-cannon salute... Haha...

~Mystic~

#15 El Hombre

El Hombre

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:45 AM

I'd so love to drive out there and catch one of these wars.. mmm, campus nerf. And yeah I've had those specific ammo problems before- stupid hoarders.. that's what I use cargo pockets for- loads of extra ammo.

#16 reversedracula

reversedracula

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 11:10 AM

Actually, the club that runs the thing may have a ban on heavily modified guns going into effect soon, only because it's mostly close-range and indoors. i.e. stefans and such would be out, as would probably be barrel extensions for greater distance, doubling up on arrowstorm or crossbow springs, etc. Little stuff like taking out air restrictors on a Nite Finder or AT2k would be fine. We've had some injuries and such simply due to the close-range of everything. More to follow for those of you who play with us.

#17 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 11:24 AM

Actually, the club that runs the thing may have a ban on heavily modified guns going into effect soon, only because it's mostly close-range and indoors. i.e. stefans and such would be out, as would probably be barrel extensions for greater distance, doubling up on arrowstorm or crossbow springs, etc. Little stuff like taking out air restrictors on a Nite Finder or AT2k would be fine. We've had some injuries and such simply due to the close-range of everything. More to follow for those of you who play with us.

Why don't we try using a tap out rule? Or a surrender rule if you're close enough to someone, like they use in Paintball or something? If you come up behind someone, and you've got a modded gun, why don't you just ask if they surrender or something similar of that nature?

#18 Dan Wask

Dan Wask

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 03:56 PM

Because people are stubborn fucks thats why.
QUOTE (Arcanis @ Apr 9 2005, 12:02 AM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

#19 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 04:33 PM

Whoa, El hombre is back!

THIRST
ko

#20 El Hombre

El Hombre

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 04:53 PM

Whoa, El hombre is back!

THIRST

You bet- I've been meaning to slowly creep back onto these boards, I have skimmed them often over the past few months- I never left, it's just being busy with work and school and social time that keeps me from posting :) Nerf's still in the blood (of course..!)

Later.

#21 rusty

rusty

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 05:10 PM

Because people are stubborn fucks thats why.

Yeah we've pretty much had to ban bunkering because some people can't handle surrendering. I mean isn't the pain of a pointblank crossbow shot to the head, and the stupidity of trying to spin around and shoot someone when their barrel is touching your head bad enough for someone to surender?

#22 MysticFalcon182

MysticFalcon182

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 05:48 PM

Yes, human nature doesn't always allow for everything to take place and fall into order correctly. Which is precisely the reason why communism should be the perfect form of government, but it doesn't work. People are greedy, want fame, power, money, etc. They will take whatever advantage comes to them.

Same goes with Nerfing rules. People want to win, thus, they try and bend the rules, won't give up, etc.

~Mystic~

#23 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 25 March 2004 - 08:28 AM

No communism fails because it requires an artificial economy with a centrally planned distribution of resources which is much more inefficent than allowing supply and demand to dictate where resources are allowcated. That and it is supposed to (According to Marx) take place in already industrialized nations. Russia and China were not highly industrialized when they adopted communism.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#24 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 25 March 2004 - 03:35 PM

Honestly, Groove I think you're the one being stubborn here. It's not like they want you to take a handicap. I mean, maybe they're being pussies regarding the power of weapons, that is yet to be seen for me, and rather irrelevant. If these people would rather a less powerful, but more level, playing field, I can'tsee any real reason not to give it a try. I mean, we all started out with unmodded guns (those of us who got into it for the game at least), and though perhaps you feel that we've evolved past that state, there's nothing to say that a war with slightly devolved weapons cannot be just as exciting. Actually, I'd think it might be fun for a change. For one thing you could come a lot closer to an opponent and still be able to dodge, more running, more diving, less stand-offs. As for give ups? they don't work, and you should be barrel tapping if you get close enough regardless of what weapons you're using.

My point is, you should just give it a try groove. Cause honestly, I can see their point here, and I'm having trouble seeing your side.

VACC

#25 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 05:26 PM

No communism fails because it requires an artificial economy with a centrally planned distribution of resources which is much more inefficent than allowing supply and demand to dictate where resources are allowcated. That and it is supposed to (According to Marx) take place in already industrialized nations. Russia and China were not highly industrialized when they adopted communism.

And there's no incentive or motivation...

But anyway, I agree with Vacc.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users