17 replies to this topic

#1 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:22 AM

Posted Image
Tools needed:
-Rotory Tool (cutting tool, and sanding drum)
-Lighter
- ~ 30 1" stefans Blanks
- Hotglue gun and glue
-(optional) Electrical Tape

Step 1
Open the Drum

Step 2
See this pin
Posted Image
Remove it and take out the the internals

Step 3
Use the usual way to open the N-strike clips
Posted Image

Step 3
Just in modding N-strike clips, put in a rail at this point as well as the other half. Also take off the bottom right section of the clip that is shown missing in the picture
Posted Image

Step 4
Take your Rotory tool with the sanding drum on a low speed (it will allow the plastic to melt but not fly off), and sand back the black follower piece until it is able to slide smoothly
Posted Image

Step 5
Now take one of the stefans blanks, and hot glue it to the side of the spindle that is towards the solid side. Rinse and repeat for every slot that the follower doesn't occupy.
Posted Image

Step 6
Hold the spindle ~6 inches above the lighter to make the foam melt a bit
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Optional Step
Put E-tape over top of the blanks
Posted Image
Posted Image

Step 7
Re-install all of the internals
Posted Image

Step 8
Mirror the locking slot on the right to the left and remove the little nub on the bottom of the clip
Posted Image

Finished!!!
Posted Image
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#2 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:38 AM

1. Great work. Methinks a few more people will start to weild LS's----equipped with one of these....

2. How smooth is the cycle? Jams?
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife
Rknight-- wow......N9---your dad is in trouble now!

#3 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:48 AM

I do not own any gun that uses LS clips, so I can't exactly test it outside of pushing the dart with my finger.

Also it should be noted, that I can't use it with the foam I use (springer tight in PETG) beacuse the foam causes friction with exterior wall. but it worked with my leftover gray foam
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#4 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:25 AM

I do not own any gun that uses LS clips, so I can't exactly test it outside of pushing the dart with my finger.

Also it should be noted, that I can't use it with the foam I use (springer tight in PETG) beacuse the foam causes friction with exterior wall. but it worked with my leftover gray foam

So...this current version is diameter sensitive? Meaning---larger diameter foam = fail?
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife

#5 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:56 AM

So...this current version is diameter sensitive? Meaning---larger diameter foam = fail?

Yes but this is a photo from RyanMcnumbers and he is using loghome foam (I think)

Posted Image
QUOTE View Post

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#6 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:11 AM

I have to wonder about whether or not these work. I worked on one a lot a few months ago, and I had many problems because of things that neither K9 or Ryan have addressed. For one, the hotglue tips will rub against the front of the drum. For another, you have to use fairly long darts so they can't move enough to come out of place while the drum rotates since there is nothing holding up the back of the dart. For another, it's a lot easier for them to shift when the darts are fatter, and it's a lot harder (impossible) for it to rotate when the darts are a nice size for a typical angel breech. I just don't believe that gluing blanks in the back of the mag is going to make it work in war. You might be able to fiddle with it and get it to work right at home, but those darts can and will shift, and you're going to get stuck with no shots in the middle of a round.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#7 Zack the Mack

Zack the Mack

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:26 PM

I don't think the domes would be a problem. After all, stock Streamlines' soft rubber tips are much more friction-y and don't jam.

The main problem I see is that the darts advance from the back of the clip. This is a problem for Angel Breeches, which load darts from the front. [EDIT: In Step 8, k9turret cut a notch in the other side of the magazine so it can be inserted backwards and load darts correctly] I suppose it would be easy to fix - just glue the FBR spacers on the other side of the drum - but then you'd lose the ability to check your ammo.

I've been working on an Angel Breeched LS to test this out since I read it on NerfRevolution, and when I finish the drum over the weekend I'll post my results.

Edited by Zack the Mack, 12 December 2009 - 12:33 PM.

Ask me questions about electronics, Arduino, and 3D printing

#8 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:01 PM

The main problem I see is that the darts advance from the back of the clip. This is a problem for Angel Breeches, which load darts from the front.

Thank you and read step 8, dumbass
QUOTE View Post

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#9 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:34 PM

The main problem I see is that the darts advance from the back of the clip. This is a problem for Angel Breeches, which load darts from the front.

You didn't describe WHY you were performing step eight, though. There's no reason to be rude to him if you aren't going to be clear.

Also, while hot glue may have friction issues, I would expect that felt tipped darts would slide quite nicely.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#10 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:24 PM

Trust me. The hotglue tips can and do rub. I don't say things unless I have experienced them. They rub on the sides and often rub the front.

#11 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:47 PM

Yes but this is a photo from RyanMcnumbers and he is using loghome foam (I think)

Posted Image

I used plastic rod for the spacers, and took a lot more out of the shell so that even with fatter darts, it won't feed irregularly. "Fatter" is relative - darts with OD > 9/16" (so snug fit in 19/32" brass) will still create too much friction.

Also, the problem with your version (also a problem in the prototype drum of mine) is that most breeched guns are done somewhat inefficiently, so the darts feed from the front rather than the back (simply due to the measurements given by FA that everyone follows. Thus, if you put the spacers for stefans on the bottom, darts don't actually feed into your standard N-strike compatible breech.

To get around this, the spacers must be put on the front, which causes some more problems, the first being visibility, thought that can be solved by using acrylic half-round rods. So, nice work, but there's still a ways to go.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#12 DTReaper

DTReaper

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:07 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but the reason for step 8 is to get rid of the feed from the back problem that several people have pointed out. He cuts the clip lock in a mirrored position on the other side so with it in backwards the front is the back and the back is the front. I may be inserting my own foot in my mouth but whatever.

-DTR
QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 5 2008, 12:09 AM) View Post

That's it. I'm done. I'm sorry there are breasts on the Internet.

#13 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:48 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but the reason for step 8 is to get rid of the feed from the back problem that several people have pointed out. He cuts the clip lock in a mirrored position on the other side so with it in backwards the front is the back and the back is the front.

That's what step 8 says, and not what the pictures show (and we all know that theoretical nerf modding tends to fail). Also problems with that solution are 1) an improperly cut slot means the mag becomes wobbly, increasing feed issues 2) jam fixing nub is on the wrong side, and even stock mags jam and 3) now your opponent gets to see how many darts you have left.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#14 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:24 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but the reason for step 8 is to get rid of the feed from the back problem that several people have pointed out. He cuts the clip lock in a mirrored position on the other side so with it in backwards the front is the back and the back is the front.

That's what step 8 says, and not what the pictures show (and we all know that theoretical nerf modding tends to fail). Also problems with that solution are 1) an improperly cut slot means the mag becomes wobbly, increasing feed issues 2) jam fixing nub is on the wrong side, and even stock mags jam and 3) now your opponent gets to see how many darts you have left.

1) Improperly doing anything is bad, so it's a possible fault with the modder, not the mod.
2) Reach around to the other side. It isn't that far.
3) Does it matter? I personally can't use an LS that has the drum (or even an extra supermag) popping out to the left. It's in the way of my arm. Also, how many shots you have left in a drum should be the least of your opponents worries.

#15 Zack the Mack

Zack the Mack

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:32 PM

The directions were a little unclear. Putting the drum in backwards still doesn't solve the problem of being able to see your ammo supply.
Ask me questions about electronics, Arduino, and 3D printing

#16 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:43 PM

The directions were a little unclear. Putting the drum in backwards still doesn't solve the problem of being able to see your ammo supply.

Like SGM said----your opponent should be more concerned about the multiple stefans flying at him, and the fact that there are many more on the way. Seeing how many are left is not a huge issue, the smooth cycle of the drum is.

#17 Nerf Bros

Nerf Bros

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:41 PM

Wow- I'm fearfully imagining a BBB or PAS with one of these... it'd be almost as fearful as a +bow without the pain.
Very cool- with some tuning it'd be perfect... if only I had money to spend on a raider.
We have no sig.

#18 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:52 PM

I knew it wouldn't be long before this was done. Maybe you could combine this with this idea I just posted:

Breachless Drum Mag to any Blaster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users