Photo

Range Results

12 replies to this topic

#1 dunno

dunno

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:46 AM

Is there a standard used when publishing shoot distance?
As in with a certain type of dart,stefan or what ever? I been reading reviews of different blasters after mods and they all claim it shot however far and everyone chimes in and says that's not possible and yata yata. Perhaps that person was using a different dart than someone else and got different results.

So my question is Is there a standardized form of testing? like use the darts that were originally supplied with the blaster or only stefans, or does everyone just shoot whatever and post results that can vary , or can we come up with and post the standardized rules when modding and reporting distances guidelines to follow so results could be repeated by someone else anywhere in the world.

#2 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:04 AM

You basically just need to fire a level shot and specify what type of dart you're using and the situation. Tell the temperature and wind conditions, and tell if you're using a stock dart, a Slug dart or other stefan and tell what type of weight you're using in the stefan.

Ex: It was 40* outside with a slight breeze at my back. I fired five level shots using stefans weighted with 3/0 lead fishing weights:

50'
57'
55'
60'
52'

There really is no standard that can be used because most people use different foam and different weights and styles of making darts, and ranges depend on those things and a lot of others. Just be sure to give all the info about firing, and you should be fine.

EDIT: Thanks K9 and Carbon, I knew that I'd forget something.

Edited by slowguitarman, 07 December 2009 - 11:35 AM.

Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#3 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:17 AM

You should also include the surface the dart is landing on to help understand the amount of dart skip.

Ie.
I test in a hallway, so no wind but the dart bounce 2'-5' depending on the power of the gun

But If I test on grass, the wind might alter results but the dart skip is only 3"
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#4 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:18 AM

One footnore to SGM's excellent summary: physically measure your shots, ideally with a 100' tape. Don't pace off the distance and expect any kind of accuracy. Most range reports that have turned out to be wrong have been estimated measurements.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#5 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Oregon
  • u/Parabolictoys on Reddit

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:34 PM

You should also include the surface the dart is landing on to help understand the amount of dart skip.

Ie.
I test in a hallway, so no wind but the dart bounce 2'-5' depending on the power of the gun

But If I test on grass, the wind might alter results but the dart skip is only 3"

Also, test firing on the frozen tundra of Canada's soil is likely to produce more dart skip than even on concrete. Particularly if your dart sticks to a moose or caribou. But then, we usually just ignore the range (and color) claims of the blasters from Canada.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#6 Pearson2

Pearson2

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:07 PM

One footnore to SGM's excellent summary: physically measure your shots, ideally with a 100' tape. Don't pace off the distance and expect any kind of accuracy. Most range reports that have turned out to be wrong have been estimated measurements.

There actually is a way to accuratly determine range with paces but you have to do a long complicated test called your 'pace factor'. It was required at the natural resource school that I went to for people who are doing things like forest fire fighting or other things where you neeed to figure out a few kilometers. If you have a 100 foot meauring tape though use it.
Crooked: Did you see that guy who singled a doomsayer?

Pearson: Why would you single a doomsayer? Thats like taking a Ferarri and putting family seating in it.

#7 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:06 PM

There actually is a way to accuratly determine range with paces but you have to do a long complicated test called your 'pace factor'.

Yeah, I took a similar course for my NR classes. Worth mentioning for completeness, but I didn't even want to go there in this context.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#8 dunno

dunno

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:02 PM

Thanks for the responses, But the problem still remains that most reviews I read most didn't have any of that information. That's why I feel we(nerfhaven) should establish a "standard" of testing so results would be repeatable. I think if your going to post shot distances after a mod then you should
1. use a tape measure
2. be indoors if possible
3. use the stock darts that were supplied with the blaster
4. fire at a level angle parallel to he ground
5. list what all mods that were done (springs, ar, whatever)

#9 JATDO

JATDO

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:11 PM

Did you just yata yata ranges?!??

I guess I agree with you, but alot of stock darts ie. Streamlines spin out 3 feet from the barrel of powerful guns. And taggers and other darts with a tip can only be put at the tip of a barrel making alot of dead space wich could hinder the performance of the gun.
Also dart/barrel fit can make a HUGE difference.

Oh and if you didn't notice it the yata yata was a seinfeld joke.

Edited by JATDO, 08 December 2009 - 11:16 PM.

I remember when some girl in my English 101 class in college tried to cite The Onion as a source for her paper. The teacher lol'd.
The only time I got hit was when my spotter got hit and the enemy team realized there was a marksman in the bushes

#10 dunno

dunno

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:15 AM

that's where I got it yata yata.
I just think there should be some way to standardize some how.
I think noobs will see read someones mod and then try and do only the possibly disappointed by their results because they didn't get 100' only 60' because they used a different dart or different conditions

Edited by dunno, 11 December 2009 - 10:19 AM.

#11 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:20 AM

There is no standard way to do it. There will never be one. Nobody can make people range test this way. You just have to do the best you can, so nobody whines about your ranges not being accurate.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#12 Zack the Mack

Zack the Mack

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:30 PM

Just remember to take all ranges with a grain of salt. Modders have a tendency to massage the numbers when talking about their work...

Edited by Zack the Mack, 11 December 2009 - 02:30 PM.

Ask me questions about electronics, Arduino, and 3D printing

#13 Mod Man

Mod Man

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:59 AM

Hey all, heres something I posted about 2 1/2 yrs ago
Hey NH'ers, There is need for some kind of standardization in measuring ranges. So we all are on the same page, so to speak. For my production mods I need to know how one change in design changes performance + or -. I use a simple method, I set up a ladder in my bro's pole barn ( cut out wind variable) it has a nice level surface. With a tape measure I measure 5ft in height up the ladder, then I clamp a carpenters level at that height level. With 100ft tape measure I run it out in front of ladder producing the range I will be test shooting down. Then I use a quick release wood clamp and clamp the top edge of the gun to the lower edge of the level. With all this Im trying to mount the gun so the barrel is at the same position ( 5ft+ level ) everytime I test. This is one way I have found to test different mods on the same gun for performance. The method can also be used indoors with a much smaller space, just scale it all down and keep it constant. Until there is a standard, all of of us will be comparing apples and oranges.
Later all, Mod out

ranges are over rated, accuracy and durability are traits that I lean towards.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users