Photo

Is This A Mono Blast?

7 replies to this topic

#1 ArmyOfNone

ArmyOfNone

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:05 PM

OK, so around 4 or 5 years ago I won the blaster below as a ticket prize at the Family Fun Center near where I live:

Posted Image

(For some reason the picture's not showing up, here's a link: http://i50.tinypic.com/2s153xc.jpg )

Just recently, I came across a picture of a Nerf blaster called a Mono Blast:

Posted Image

The two are eerily similar - in fact, besides the "999" sticker on mine where the "Nerf" sticker is on the Nerf gun, I can't really tell the difference! Could anyone who owns a Mono Blast do a quick check on their gun and see if there are any other distinguishing marks on it, besides the sticker? Be cool if it turned out to be extra Nerf stock re-branded or something.

Edited by ArmyOfNone, 01 December 2009 - 11:08 PM.

#2 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:08 PM

Do you have this gun still? Look for some stampings on the shell if you do, I think the mono blast has a date on it at the very least, but I don't have one anymore to check.

#3 ArmyOfNone

ArmyOfNone

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:14 PM

Do you have this gun still? Look for some stampings on the shell if you do, I think the mono blast has a date on it at the very least, but I don't have one anymore to check.

I do have it still - looking it over, I can't see any Nerf logos or anything, but all over the gun there are centimeter markings like those on a ruler, and around the "dials" by the plunger grip are notches, like selection options. Also, on the barrel it has the numbers 100,001, 200,001, and 300,001, stacked on top of one another. RInging any bells?

#4 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:20 PM

I do have it still - looking it over, I can't see any Nerf logos or anything, but all over the gun there are centimeter markings like those on a ruler, and around the "dials" by the plunger grip are notches, like selection options. Also, on the barrel it has the numbers 100,001, 200,001, and 300,001, stacked on top of one another. RInging any bells?

That is the exact same as a mono blast, same design as a lock n' load and range shot too.

#5 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:09 AM

Yes it is a monoblast, and it's a nice little gem of a gun. Before the TTG or the NF came out, it was my second favorite nerf pistor, right after my LnL. I have a lot of good memories of the pair of Mono blasts I had back in the day.

Works great if you cut down the dart peg and nest a new barrel inside the stock one, and add some decent rubber bands or mini bungee over the handle on the plunger.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#6 CA13

CA13

Nude Nerfer

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:25 PM

It's a nice remake, and remakes were the same as the real Nerf guns back then because Nerf rarely patented their designs, more so just bought the rights to them.

I like mono blasts, but I never liked the plunger on top. That added mechanical advantage from the fulcrum of my wrist almost made me drop the blaster (as it fired) when I was much younger.
Doing this as I speak. I have no idea when I got it...my DAD got it some 15 years ago, but that doesn't matter. Anyways, it keeps jerking around all over the place. I try to hold it with a rag...It doesn't look like...much.

#7 ArmyOfNone

ArmyOfNone

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:12 PM

Okay, so I now have some MonoBlast pictures in detail, and can take more if there's interest. Click through for high bandwidth versions:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow, thanks for those awesome-quality pics - looks the real MonoBlast is more of a green color, whereas mine is most decidedly a bright yellow. Still, besides that they're like exactly the same body type, right down to the hex-grip engraved on the tip of the barrel, screw locations, and the knob marker positions! Crazy!

What ranges do you get with yours, and have you modded it at all?

#8 ArmyOfNone

ArmyOfNone

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:38 AM

Although I have not formally measured test firings, I estimate stock flat range with stock darts to be high teens to low 20s.

I have done nothing more than open it up to look inside. There was a little glue to split, but I've heard horror stories of some with way too much glue, and this one was not like that. Yes, it's a very bright yellowish green, but definitely green.

Whaddaya know, mine gets the same range estimates as yours (sans official measurements), was thinking maybe mine had poorer internals 'cause it seemed rather short - haven't tried to crack it open though, so can't say how glued it is, but it feels pretty solidly put together.

I don't get it though: everyone's saying the MonoBlast is supposed to be a good weapon? Or maybe only after you mod it, is it worth using - sticking a barrel right in front of the spring could have good results...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users